PDA

View Full Version : RAF to FAA A and P

c17age
22nd Feb 2005, 20:59
I'm currently in the mob and looking to relocate to the USA soon. I would appreciate help from anyone who has hopped over the pond and gained the A & P.

:ok:

QFBUSBOY
23rd Feb 2005, 08:26
Mate,Just go and buy the 3 A & P books with all th Q & A's(avail in all good aviation bookstores).Plus look for a school or some recognised place where you can do your exams and prep for your oral and practical.I went to a place in NY on Long Island called American Airman School.It is not really a school as such but you can sit your exams there and have there own examiner for the prac.

Learn the books parrot fashion before you leave home,as you can sit your exams in one or two days.This really freaks the yanks out,but as you will have had such good training it wont be a problem.The theory exams are pretty easy.As for the prac,you will need two days.One for the prep and one for the actual testing(plus US$ 300).

Your minimum time needed would be about 4 days.

I hope this helps.:ok:

spannersatcx
23rd Feb 2005, 11:01
You will also need a letter from the CAA stating that you have the relevant experience needed, plus you will also need forms signing by the FAA inspectors (I got mine signed at LGW) plus a letter stating that you need the A n P because you will be working or there is a need for you to work on N reg a/c, normally an airline such as Delta, AA etc. Plus you have to pay for some if not all of the letters.

kokpit
8th Mar 2005, 03:33
c17age, wouldn't happen to have the same initials as the 'ticket' you're after would you?

If so, pm me.

Regards.

bradnie
13th Mar 2005, 05:31
QFBUSBOY

could you post the names of the Q&A books.
what was your practical all about.What do you have to do.Could you elaborate on the oral.
Thanx

QFBUSBOY
7th May 2005, 05:44
Hi.

Sorry I didn't realise you had posted a msg.I can't remember the exact names of the books,but they start with "FAA A&P..."They are proper study books distributed by the FAA.There is the general,a/f and pwrplt(3 off).As for the oral,it is just an extension of the questions in these books.Basically they are just trying to find out if you understand English and just didn't wing the theory exams.The oral goes for about 40 mins,and the inspector/examiner is not there to fail you.If you stuff up a question,he will just keep asking you more questions from his book related to the topic.

As for the prac,I had to work in the inspectors hangar doing any job he asked of me.Basically I was his lackey for the day,as I did everything from reading his hard to read and fuzzy manuals for ordering parts,to cleaning a/c windows,stripping a crashed helicopter,to soldering,to writing up a damage report for a stuffed prop and lots of tech logs sign offs for different jobs and there was something about having to practice writing a a supplementary certificate I think.Too long to remember,and I don't do that kind of work anyway.I was lucky in that I only had to work for this guy for one day,as I know of guys who did theirs in Hawaii,and had to work for three days,which included being a bag chucker on some of the cargo runs that guy did.

All in all,the A&Ps arenot too hard,you just have to apply yourself like any exam,and you'll be right.

I hope this helps.:ok:

linemech
7th May 2005, 08:20
The books that you will be looking for are affectionately called fast tracks by us "yanks". The actual names are: General Study guide, Airframe Study guide, and Powerplant Study guide. I can't remember who it was that posted earlier, but yes You will need at least 4 days if not five. Some places will only let you take two of the written exams a day and then you'll have to take the third on the next day. You should be able to complete the oral and practical exams in two days without a problem. Hope this helps. if not give me a shout and I'll give you whatever other info or help I can.
L

woptb
7th May 2005, 13:38
Hope i'm not teaching to suck eggs, - anyway you can buy all the questions /answers in three telephone directory sized books also oral & practical guides as well.
The 'school' i did my A&P cert at, simply sat you in room with the books .We highlighted the correct answers only ,then simply read the questions/correct answers repeatedly, did lots of exam papers & when we hit 90% + (in all three papers) we did the exam & passed easily.
The oral followed the format set out in the oral & practical guide. The practical varies from examiner to examiner. With the bigger schools they will use the same 'pet' guy for oral/practical so the format should be well known.
If memory serves there is guidance as to the types of practical tasks that should be undertaken in the oral/practical guide.

30AB-JK
8th May 2005, 05:04
C17 AGE,

I went from the mighty KC1 to 744 JAR & FAA ''P of P'', all that was taught to us at VCTMS @ BZN was MORE than sufficient compared to some BCAR & JAR Courses I've done since - Just do it and think of the doors that it might open!!!:cool:

bvcu
10th May 2005, 07:41
company called ASA do a study package for the p.c which is very good.basically just lets you do an exam and marks you , plus gives answers so that you can see which areas you need to study . i did about six days on it then did exams. did written tests in twickenham then practical/oral in frankfurt. going to states is easiest option . did mine about six years ago and had to have letter from US airline stating that my employer had a contract for maint with them to even get application in to FAA. BEST OF LUCK !