PDA

View Full Version : Living in Dubai

Quokka
22nd Feb 2005, 20:25
As you log onto the Aljazeera.com website, the following advertisement appears...

"SPECIAL OFFER: Freehold land for sale in Dubai

"The Villa", formerly known as The Falls, is a prestigious real estate project in Dubai offering, for the first time in the region, freehold land for foreigners of any nationality to buy and build their very own luxury villas at amazingly affordable prices.

Various land sizes are available all at a special price of 150 Dirhams (approx. USD$40 per square foot). Payments are made in instalments over a 12 month period.

If you are interested in this limited offer please complete the following form: "

Can anyone shed some light on the merits of this one...?

:cool: :8 :cool:

sandypandy
23rd Feb 2005, 16:37
I'd be very sceptical, but happy to be put right. My understanding is that there is still no law in the UAE that allows foreign nationals to own land (mind you, there is no law that says you cannot either). All the talk and advertising of "freehold" is a clever marketing ploy. All that you can be offered is a three year renewable sponsorship (normally through the developer). But this hasn't put people off - many are just banking on the law changes coming in soon and before anything goes wrong. Get proper legal advice from a DXB lawyer before you sign anything.

As for the development itself, not heard of it, but then again there is so much going on here that isn't surprising.

23rd Feb 2005, 18:13
They're not all like this, but just to make sure that you have a healthy amount of sceptisism.

http://www.gulfnews.com/Articles/NationNF.asp?ArticleID=153157

davidletterman
23rd Feb 2005, 19:32
dubai = dodgy

mr solo
24th Feb 2005, 19:01
Quokka - if it's not being sold by damac, nakheel or emmar properties then dont go there my friend, www.ameinfo.com/dubaiproperty may help if you're lookin'

Mr solo :cool:

newswatcher
25th Feb 2005, 08:27
article from the telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/main.jhtml?xml=/property/2005/01/15/pdub15.xml) - December 2004
you may need to register to read it

FFFlyer
26th Feb 2005, 17:39
Good article, true, very true.