PDA

View Full Version : Transair Study Pack???

Matthew81
22nd Feb 2005, 15:16
Could anyone with experience studying for there PPL please tell me if they have any experience with the pilots manuals by Trevor Thom . I am thinking of buying the transair study pack and would just like some advice before i part with my money. :D

Thank you in advance

Matthew

YYZ
22nd Feb 2005, 15:25
It does what it should providing you put in the effort.
I used it as did many others, If you do a search then all is found.

Enjoy the training.

YYZ

High Wing Drifter
22nd Feb 2005, 15:29
The Thom books are excellent. I think especially if you are going to ATPL as they cover more than the PPL requires. Don't forget to purchase The PPL Confuser too.

Matthew81
22nd Feb 2005, 15:35
Thanks for your help.. :)

Jinkster
22nd Feb 2005, 21:10
Try www.ebay.co.uk and type in PPL

daw
23rd Feb 2005, 07:40
If you plan on going into commercial aviation then try and negotiate with them to swap the CRP 1 for a CRP 5 flight computer which will save you binning the former when you move onto the ATPL's.

simkin
23rd Feb 2005, 09:24
Matthew,

I was originally tempted by an all-in-one PPL package, but decided to buy various bits as I go along.

This way you can mix and match books, buy the CRP-5 rather than CRP-1, maybe buy a professional logbook, go for a bag that you like, choose exactly what protractor/rulers/pens you want etc.

As has been pointed out there is always loads of PPL stuff on ebay, which is where I got my Jeremy Pratt (AFE) PPL books from, you may even end up saving in the long run choosing to put it all together yourself. I have also looked at the Thom books and they look very good too and possibly better as a foundation for the ATPLs than the Pratt books.

Anyway here is a great thread from last year started by scameron77, at the time he was putting together his kit, it covers everything from CRP-5s to sunglasses.

Definitive PPL Equipment (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150662&perpage=15&highlight=ppl%20starter%20kit&pagenumber=1)

Have Fun, Simkin

PS airquiz.com is worth signing up to for testing yourself and getting feedback on how you are doing.

Matthew81
23rd Feb 2005, 22:33
Thanks for the info guys.. Not daft enough to pay 200 quid for a couple of books so i have found some cheap:=

Thanks again

Time Bandit
9th Mar 2005, 20:19
Hi Chaps,
I would like to find out how much of the stuff in the Manuals is actually needed to take the PPL exams.
Can anyone give me a general idea?

I.E. Will I find myself needing to know that an A/C with an AUW of 9,000KG or less needs, and requiring a t/o distance of over 610m requires a Noise Certificate?

Or about captive balloons not being allowed to fly above 60 metres.

I have found myself spending a huge amount of time making tonnes of notes and would really like to know if theres any corners to be cut.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers