PDA

View Full Version : What would help to secure an apprenticeship?

Jedi_Pilot
22nd Feb 2005, 09:00
Hey all,

I am about to look for a maintenance apprenticeship, I am only just out of school and have little technical background. I have a positive attitude, a willingness to learn, passion for the aviation industry, i'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and I have my HSC. Is it completely hopeless if I have no mechanical background, or what could improve my chances of success?

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Feb 2005, 09:27
(1) Good school results, especially maths and science.

(2) Get a technical hobby or part-time job, something like helping maintain aeroplanes at the local club, flying RC models, model rocketry, fixing old cars...

G

wanty
22nd Mar 2005, 13:50
First and foremost,when applying for all the differant trades that airlines offer,tick the "Avionics" box.
Secondly,when filling out an application form,if they ask you to choose your trade of choice from your most desired to least desired,have a "Good" think about what trade you want to do,then,tick "ONLY" the Avionics box and no others.The reason I say this is ,firstly it will tell the employer that you know exactly what you want to do and that you dont want to accept second best.Admittedly this might be a gamble,but this gamble will have to be weighed up personally against your schooling results.Going back a little,I dont really want to put you off choosing an apprenticeship in the Aircraft "Mechanical" side,as I still think this would be a fullfilling carreer path,but being an avionics Lame myself,in hindsight I am glad I chose avionics as their are a lot of mechanical Lames around "not all", who are bitter for not choosing avionics.Suspect I would probably be the same.
Post schooling advice,approach a TAFE college about possible pre apprenticeship courses if any.If you miss out the first time,dont give up until the airline is sick of hearing your name and they employ you to shut you up.HA HA.
Just quietly,dont know if this applies to you or not,but you will be DRUG tested for entry to an airline so keep this in mind
Lastly,dont listen to all the really negative comments about ****ty pay etc, as a lot of these stem from people in GA, which is light aircraft. I myself earn around $100k a year,but this is nothing compared to what you can earn as some of my collegues earn closer to $200k a year,for a very interesting and challenging career..

Best of luck.

binrow
14th Apr 2005, 09:49
dont bother look into a carrer that will allow you to further youself, as a emplolee of the big "Q" in Australia for 14 years you get very little respect and G D will soon beat all your enthusiasm out of you. Besids why when all other trades are getting wage increses and we stand still Best of Luck:*

Speedtape
18th Apr 2005, 11:50
Obviously, the standard of education required for Avionics LAMES in Australia is a lot lower than that required for Mechanical LAMES, if Wanty's standard of spelling and grammar is anything to go by. :rolleyes:

wanty
18th Apr 2005, 12:52
Hey "Speedtape",why the personal insults?Is it due to the fact that your one of the bitter mechanical Lame's I spoke of in my advice to some young bloke? I suspect so.Who really gives a **** whether my spelling and grammer weren't up to scratch?Noticed you hung **** but still didn't give the kid any of your own advice,you just used the thread as a means to hang **** and have a winge.