PDA

View Full Version : Airbus cracks already!

Ultralights
22nd Feb 2005, 08:19
Found a copy of yesterdays Telegraph in one of the trucks, and there was an interesting story in the busines section, Airbus A380 delayed due to stress cracking discovered after static tests! i didnt get time to read the entire story, but i will get it tomorrow and post it.

anyone else hear of anything along similar lnes?

Zigzag
22nd Feb 2005, 09:12
Yep.

Know it's not the most reliable source, but Airliners.net had a thread about it, with various links.

SilverSleuth
22nd Feb 2005, 09:18
Not really a big issue here......... Both the 747 and the DC10 had the same issues initially on their test programs. MMmmm, I guess thats why they do so much testing !!!!!

Sunfish
22nd Feb 2005, 21:52
Wouldn't be the first time this has happend, especially to a rear pressure bulkhead

planemad2
23rd Feb 2005, 02:26
Engineers at European planemaker Airbus are battling problems in stress tests for the new A380 superjumbo, Germany's Der Spiegel magazine has reported.

There were "unexpected and significant difficulties" with the rear end of the plane when tests were carried out on it, the magazine quoted an insider as saying.

The landing gear is also causing engineers concern, the magazine reported, adding that the A380's first flight in March could be delayed by weeks.

An Airbus spokesman said the stress tests were heading in the right direction within the company's expectations, Der Spiegel said.

Airbus could not immediately be reached for comment.

The A380, which is the world's biggest civil aircraft and was formally unveiled in Toulouse, in France, last month, can seat between 555 and 850 passengers and has a list price of between USD$200 million and USD$250 million.