View Full Version : LHR bypassed AGAIN.

unmanned transport
22nd Feb 2005, 03:29
Source: ATW.
02/21/05

DL will start flying to Chenai via CDG soon.

NW announces new 1 stop service via AMS to Bangalore.

US/UA working with LH via FRA.

CO sidesteps LHR and announces new codeshares CDG with AF today.

This was all traffic that years ago would have tended to go into LHR.

This is the price to pay when LHR slots are controlled and monopolized.

I guess it's worth it?

Would LHR be the most costly European airport for airline ops?
Must be right up there or even at the top.

Confirmed Must Ride
22nd Feb 2005, 03:36
Unmanned, please can you think before you post. Maybe there are reasons why these airlines are doing this!!

Dl to Chennai via CDG - could Skyteam have something to do with this and that DL are not permitted to fly into LHR because of the Bermuda II agreement.

NW via AMS...again skyteam and NW links with KL. Also NW not permitted to fly into LHR.

US/UA with LH....wait for it.....alliance within Star Alliance!!

CO with AF....could it be another alliance...thats right - Skyteam. Also CO do not have any rights to fly into LHR.

It is not LHR missing the boat, it is all for commercial reasons and the fact they are all part of alliances.

Jerricho
22nd Feb 2005, 03:56
Here we go again......................

This was all traffic that years ago would have tended to go into LHR.

I call bullsh*t. You base this on what?

Groundloop
22nd Feb 2005, 07:39
Unmanned bases his post on the fact that he has a thing against LHR and will twist anything to fit!

lexxity
22nd Feb 2005, 10:23
Bermuda II

end of post

unmanned transport
22nd Feb 2005, 16:44
Sorry guys, my mistake.

LHR was a great airport in it's time but traffic growth is limited at times, so the best solution that I envision is a new airport to the west with Maglev feed to and from London.

Bermuda II needs revision so that we all gain in the future.

mattredd
22nd Feb 2005, 17:01
I'm interested unmanned, what would you replace Bermuda II with?

And how often do you fly into and out of LHR?

unmanned transport
22nd Feb 2005, 22:07
I'm interested unmanned, what would you replace Bermuda II with?
Bermuda III:)

And how often do you fly into and out of LHR?
Many times in the past.

jabird
22nd Feb 2005, 22:28
Unmanned,

Just exactly how far west would you build this airport of yours? Stupidly, I have clicked on this thread before seeing you started it!

Why don't you go and read up on the White Paper, which did propose a new airport as you are suggesting, except it was to the east of London on Cliffe marshes.

I think you will also find that this proposal, together with the one here at Rugby had nothing to do with any kind of serious attempts to solve the air traffic challenges, and more to do with making other runway proposals look more appealing, and conveniently helping politicians in marginal seats all of a sudden become very popular, thanks to the opportunities their own government gave them.

Maglev will be fine, when we have worked out how to manage our existing rail network without massive cost over-runs and counter-productive safety measures, and if there is a ready supply of cheap solar energy, combined with high enough oil prices to make it a viable alternative to internal flights. It is a total waste of time as an airport feeder, as it offers virtually no integration with existing rail services. Leave this to emerging cities such as Shanghai and Dubai (although even DXB is sticking to light rail for now).

mattredd
22nd Feb 2005, 23:00
What is Bermuda III. Obviously all American carriers will have access to LHR but would they be allowed to do LHR-MAN or LHR-FRA? And what about on the opposite side, would BA be a loud to do JFK-ORD or JFK-YYZ?

What about the "fly America" policy would that be scrapped?

Also what about the AA/BA alliance would you make the conditions on that a lot more lenient ?