PDA

View Full Version : Job Market Remains Buoyant

JCB 1
21st Feb 2005, 11:44
Just received this weeks' Flight International, and it must be said that the job market is still looking very good, with the following UK airlines all advertsing:

BA
Loganair - Saab 340 Captains for GLA & ABZ
Flyjet - Captains & F/Os for LGW & MAN
Jet2 - Captains for MAN & BHD (if you're daft enough or rich enough to pay up front for the type-rating)

Now whilst some of these positions are outside the range of experience of a large number of peeps in the Wannabes forum, it does display how good the market is. With the almighty BA requiring only 400 hrs of multi-crew airline experience on aircraft in excess of 10 tonnes, you can bet that a lot of F/Os with just a year's commercial experience under their belts will be moving on, opening up vacancies for newly qualified pilots.

PropstoMAX
21st Feb 2005, 13:14
Checked out Flyjet website as suggested in FI. It reads something like:-

'Thank you for your interest in Flyjet.

We have completed our planned recruitment programme and currently have no vacancies.

When we commence our next planned stage of development we will show any positions available on this page.'

Am I doing something wrong???

Does anyone know what experience level is required for FO's?

[URL=http://www.fly-jet.com/recruitment/]

Paper Lad
21st Feb 2005, 14:43
I'm led to believw that a B757 type rating is the first requirement. It don't say that in the ad. but thats what they say when you talk to them.

timzsta
21st Feb 2005, 15:12
Try emailing them at the email address given in the advert.

JCB 1
21st Feb 2005, 15:15
Update on the Flyjet website - I contacted Mike H there this afternoon and he said he was currently working on it and all would be done by the end of the day, which it now is.:ok:

Pilot Pete
21st Feb 2005, 21:07
I think it is worth pointing out a couple of observations regarding adverts vs websites.

Quite often airline websites state 'minimum' requirements, as do job adverts in the likes of Flight International. What you have to do is research and make the effort to find out if these stated minimums are actually in force.

Two examples spring to mind. Britannia's website lagged notoriously behind their recruiting policy for at least a year (haven't looked recently), but it stated you needed at least a 757/767 type rating with experience on type, when infact they were actively recruiting low houred pilots such as CTC cadets and those with 'lesser' experience such as turbo-prop.

Example two is occuring right now. BMI Regional stated 500hrs in their recent advert, but I personally know of two pilots who have been recruited with 200hrs since then and another with the same who has been told 'oh, don't worry about that, I will make a note on your CV'

So, do your research. If Virgin Atlantic ask for 2500hrs with heavy jet, you should be able to find out easily enough that it actually does mean that, but when certain other airlines make statements of minimum requirements, a bit of research may mean that you will be considered without it. Don't miss an opportunity is the thrust of what I am saying.

Good luck.

PP

Jack's a dull boy
22nd Feb 2005, 08:31
Flip side of the coin is that the requirements for a number of airlines is considerably in excess of the posted minimums. Virgin and Cathay spring to mind.

Pilot Pete
2nd Mar 2005, 08:58
Agreed

Supply and demand dictate the actual minimums in force at any given time.....

PP

Quidditch Captain
2nd Mar 2005, 15:15
Oh dear, Pete and Jack.....

"Minima" - please....!

QC;)

what who me?
2nd Mar 2005, 19:49
Job Market Remains Buoyant
It does indeed, it floats on hot air.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

boeingbus2002
2nd Mar 2005, 21:58
There definately seems to be some improvement in the market this year. For the past few years, recruitment has been sporadic or required high hours on jets. A look at the recent ad's in FI this year include BA (400h Multicrew), Qatar (Low hours for the first time), EAAC (Non type rated considered), and many more.
This week FI has Malaysia Airlines looking for crew too. Even if low hours guys cant get into these jobs, there must be movement at the bottom of the ladder. The question is who are these companies that are loosing pilots? (FlyBe is one).

Best of luck guys, there be light at the end of the tunnel! :ok:

Pilot Pete
3rd Mar 2005, 07:41
QC

Yes, thanks, indoctrinated by my friendy Boeing product which keeps shouting 'minimums' at me......!;)

PP

Mister Geezer
3rd Mar 2005, 19:13
It could be worse... you could be called a retard whilst in the flare on a Airbus.

Biggest challenge is trying to crack the bingo numbers that you hear in the last 50 feet.