PDA

View Full Version : Dixon wants IR changes

DJ737
20th Feb 2005, 17:54
From the Herald-Sun

Qantas was focusing on becoming more efficient and this could include industrial relations reform, chief executive Geoff Dixon said yesterday. Mr Dixon said Qantas might implement industrial relations reform as part of an upcoming review of the company's business.

"It's not the core of the review but we do need reform of the way we do our business and that indeed could involve the unions," he told the Seven network' s Sunday Sunrise program.

Mr Dixon said the airline's planned IR reforms involved major changes, but " not redundancies necessarily".

And he stressed it was not just IR that would come under the microscope during the review, saying Qantas would seek to streamline all areas of its business.

"We need to find efficiencies right throughout," Mr Dixon said.

Mr Dixon said he would like to have an input into the Federal Government's planned industrial relations reforms.

"We'd be very interested in having a look at it," he said. "We're not out there saying everything is bad about things but we believe there are things that could be reformed. "

Mr Dixon said he thought the Qantas cabin crew would be better off without a union.

"I believe they would be but I'm not seeking that," he said.

"They have tried to damage this company commercially three times, I think, in the last 12 months and I think it's unforgivable. "

The Australian Services Union and Flight Attendants Association last year threatened Qantas with strikes over increases to non-executive pay and the decision to relocate cabin staff to London.

DJ737