PDA

View Full Version : Perth (Australia) - Cardiff(Wales)

tcr2
20th Feb 2005, 10:53
I am looking to fly from Perth (Australia) to the UK in the near future, and would like to avoid London if possible!! Cardiff is the preferred arrival point in the UK.
Anyone know what my options are on the above route, if any??
One of the party is travelling using QF frequent flyer points, so I think we are limited to QF/BA and one world partners?? Any suggestions for the above would be greatfully recieved!

zed3
20th Feb 2005, 11:23
I'm afraid it's probably via Heathrow then , old son . That's life .

MerchantVenturer
20th Feb 2005, 12:37
Neither BA nor Quantas operate into CWL.

BA Cityexpress operate into nearby Bristol (BRS) but only to/from the UK and Europe. It would mean changing a/c at Frankfurt, Munich or Paris CDG - that is if One World fly to those airports from Perth. Then again can you use frequent flyer points with BA Cityexpress?

I would have thought it far less hassle to fly into LHR and use surface transport from there. Long distance coaches are pretty frequent from LHR and the rail journey is not that bad, although it would mean going into London first to Paddington Station if you want South Wales trains.

If you were not restricted to Quantas/BA you might consider seeing if KLM is an option to Amsterdam, because there are regular KLM Cityhopper flights from AMS to CWL each day.

Wannabe Flyboy
20th Feb 2005, 13:39
MerchantVenturer - there is no U in Qantas ;)

And tcr2 - you're most realistic options are a QF/KLM connection via AMS (a great place to transfer at) or a BACX via FRA or CDG.

CWL_Chris
20th Feb 2005, 14:45
I would suggest that you fly with KLM into CWL via Amstedam. Unfortunatley, British Airways don't see any potential in CWL, neither do many other airlines and do not operate into CWL.

If you did want to fly into CWL from Perth I would suggest MH to KUL and then KLM to AMS and then KLM to Cardiff. Otherwise it is to LHR and then get a rail/bus connection to Cardiff.

However, I do have a very good suggestion that would be a hell of a lot cheaper and would allow you to fly into Cardiff.

You could fly Perth-Dubai-Paris with Emirates and then get a BMIbaby/Air Wales flight to Cardiff from Paris. Flights can be booked at www.bmibaby.com and operate twice daily. The same flight could also be done by flying with Air France.

Hope that helps..

Regards,

Chris

MerchantVenturer
20th Feb 2005, 18:43
Wannabe

I can't believe I typed that. :)

Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services.

Wannabe Flyboy
20th Feb 2005, 20:41
At least you can remember what it stands for... I never can.

If you want me to be really picky I'd also tell you that it's BA CitiExpress and not CityExpress but it's a minor point and I'll let you off. :)

MerchantVenturer
20th Feb 2005, 21:06
Well I will put up my hands to the BA CitiExpress.

I have enough trouble remembering the grammatical inexactitude of easyJet.

I can never remember whether it's KLMCityhopper, KLM Cityhopper, or similar variations with CityHopper, Citihopper and so on.

Why can't they all have easily written names like Air France? :eek:

As for the thread itself, I wonder what tcr2 will decide to do in the end.

CWL_Chris
20th Feb 2005, 21:16
Personally I think that PER-CDG via DXB would be the best option with the onward connection to CWL with AirWales/BMIbaby.

What do you guys think?

Regards,

Chris

terrier21
20th Feb 2005, 23:33
How about QF Perth Singapore QF Singapore Frankfurt BA FRankfurt Bristol. You can Use your miles all the way then and your only over the bridge from CWL

Cyrano
22nd Feb 2005, 08:03
CWL_Chris:

Before you get too enthusiastic about your idea of a connection in Paris, bear in mind that bmibaby doesn't interline. So any luggage from Australia can only be checked as far as Paris, then needs to be collected, brought through customs, and rechecked. And if for some reason the inbound EK flight is running late (or if in the opposite direction the Air Wales flight is late) and the passenger misses their connection, well, that's tough. Not a risk I'd particularly like to run, especially coming off a long intercontinental flight.

C.