PDA

View Full Version : Type rating, worth the money?

gonnabe
20th Feb 2005, 09:02
Hi
I'm new here at this forum but I've read through most of the posts about sponsoring yourself with a type rating and I think there is a need for summing it up.

If everyboddy who has bought a type rating with or without line traning could just write a few lines saying wether you were able to secure a job or not and what your previous experience was.

I'm sure it would help those of us that are thinking of getting a type rating a lot.
And please don't get in to the discussion about wheter it's moraly right or wrong to sponsor yourself!

Cheers

KingKamkam
23rd Feb 2005, 06:05
hi,

If you think you will be more marketable by having it, by all means go get it. Look at it as an investment.

A new type on your license opens lots of new doors. sometimes gets you to a new world...(heavy jets, biz jets...etc..)

do your research, pick the type that will keep you working for long time....like 737NG or A320 with one of those you will never be looking for job.

good luck

gonnabe
23rd Feb 2005, 14:23
How much more marketable doy you get, then? It seems to me as if there are hundreds of 737 rated pilots out there, without line experience (at least in europe). Do you know if they get hired?
I've got the impression that buying a rating without adding a few hundred hours is a waste of money. I'm not even sure if a few hundred hours on the type helps.
Does anyone know what the chanses of securing a job are, for a lowtimer with 737 rating plus 300 h on the type?

Cheers

KingKamkam
27th Feb 2005, 07:00
Get yourself a B747-Classic rating and you are on with Air Atlanta the next day.....
or with t.orient the next hour