View Full Version : 1st July - Industrial Action

CATHAY PATHETIC
16th May 2001, 21:21
The HKAOA announced today that all rostering negotiations with the company have been suspended. A vote for limited industrial action will take place on the 20th of June and industrial action will begin on the 1st of July.

Industrial action will be initially in the form of work to rule, essentially a go slow. This will be followed by increasing pressure in the form of tactics not yet released by the union. However, guerrilla tactics are rumoured to be the strategy. An all out strike is considered too damaging to the company. As the president of the pilot union said 'we dont want to harm the company, just get the management back to addressing our concerns of rostering, remuneration and benefits.'

Management have now been delaying a rostering agreement for five years and refuse to talk to the union regarding remuneration and benefits. Senior pilots receive another pay cut this July 1st, in a year when Cathay Pathetic made record profits.

Contract compliance will remain in force as a key foundation of industrial action. Pilots receive eight guaranteed days off per month and under contract compliance will not fly on those days.

Work to rule means pilots will operate to the rules of their contract. This involves following procedures to the letter, ensuring all checks are carried out methodically and without regard to on time performance, only safety. Aircraft will taxi more slowly, only captains will be allowed landings, flight plan shortening will not be accepted. There are many options available and the union encourages its members to express ideas that will increase safety while slowing down the operation.

Cathay Pathetic is desparately undermanned and these measure will only increase massive delays and cancellations.

Pilots expect to receive another contract soon, delivered to their door, offering new
conditions of employment. The company are probably going to offer pilots the choice of accepting the new terms or they will be fired. This was used successfully in 1999 when senior pilots were forced to take 3 years of pay cuts or lose their jobs.

Unions leaders also expect a small number of pilots to be sacked for trivial issues to incite fear amoung the workforce. The CEO recently fired a captain who threw peanuts at him in a bar. The union has pledged to continue paying the salaries of those who are fired for minor issues and will not accept any package that does not involve the reinstatement of those pilots.

The government is expected to mediate throughout the process. Officials are tired of Cathay management intimidating staff and inciting pilots to take industrial action. The government knows Cathay is an outstanding airline and does not want to see the image of Hong Kong tarnished because of a group of British managers who still rule like colonial princes.

[This message has been edited by CATHAY PATHETIC (edited 16 May 2001).]

Midnight Rambler
17th May 2001, 04:17
I have just read the notice fromn the AOA and I have not seen the wording for the suspension of negotiations. On the contrary I did see that negotiations conducted in a timely manner was expressed as the preferred option to industrial action. I sincerely hope the company sees this as their preferred option too.

Checkmate
17th May 2001, 04:48
I hope this can all be sorted out before 1 July. If not be prepared to stand nose to nose with the might of the Swire Group.
I'm ready.
Lastly my apologies to the travelling public. Especially all those mothers with children who are setting off on holiday when the HK school term finishes at the end of Jun. There is still time to book seats with another carrier. P.S. CX 255 to London is normally the first to be cancelled.

[This message has been edited by Checkmate (edited 17 May 2001).]

411A
17th May 2001, 10:10
If CX is so short of crew, maybe the new recruitment from KUL will help out just a little. After all, how could the present crew members, who claim to be so overworked, reject the companies' agreement to add these additional personnel?

Midnight Rambler
17th May 2001, 10:30
To all the Herbs and HUSTLERS etc. who give 411A the pleasure their responses, please, just IGNORE him. All you are doing is adding to his junkmail.

SuperSandwich
17th May 2001, 12:48
Checkmate,
Correct me if I am wrong but I think 255 is more safer now as CX111 is normally the one that gets cancelled first. London getting annoyed that 255 always arriving in the afternoon ISO the morning all the time.

Cheers!

411A
18th May 2001, 00:17
Captain only landings? Can the proficiency of CO-PILOTS be so low that Captains must always land the airplane, during your so called "action"? Hmmm, IMHO you need a Standards guy to upgrade your training at CX so that the F/O's do not get "annoyed" and leave for greener pastures.
How to win friends amoung F/O's....good show guys!

Kubota
18th May 2001, 01:40
721 postings?!!

S.O.G.

coanda
18th May 2001, 03:00
S.O.G. Indeed!

roads runner
18th May 2001, 04:38
I think between address stress and fatigue problems, and Captains doing the landings from July 1st onwards things might move along a bit more !!

BusyB
18th May 2001, 13:01
411A, I don't have to call you names to show you up do I? You won't answer a simple question about who you work for. I am happy to post on Fragrant Harbour and have nothing to hide. You obviously have lots to hide and enjoy provoking/insulting others. Until you answer honestly, Bye.

return to stand
18th May 2001, 20:56
Here's an idea

We could refuse to eat the crew meals.

That'll really scare them.

IGS
20th May 2001, 20:02
Again!!! Don't book on CX 255!!!

20th May - CX 255 arrived Heathrow at 13:50 (almost 8 hours late) and it took 25 minutes to wait for its stand after landed, probably because it was not arrive on its schedule time and Heathrow ground hardly get a spare stand for it.

Can CX explain to the travelling public why there is (almost) permanent delay of this flight?