PDA

View Full Version : eu jets with gear problems

fire3
19th Feb 2005, 16:41
EU JET Flight 231, a ba146 has just declared an emergency with its u/c stuck down.

more details to follow

its on finals now into Manston

muppethead
19th Feb 2005, 16:43
And the problem is????:ugh:

fire3
19th Feb 2005, 16:46
the pilot reported he is not sure the u/c will stay up once landed.

Flight landed safely at 17.48z

latetonite
19th Feb 2005, 16:47
..could not finish the after t/o checklist..

abra
19th Feb 2005, 16:58
Ooops... gear pins..perhaps??There again,was it stuck up or down?

fire3
19th Feb 2005, 17:01
the gear was stuck up.

Rainboe
19th Feb 2005, 17:19
the gear was stuck up.

Dead arrogant those gear sometimes! We have stuck up cabin crew in our airline!

Matty J
19th Feb 2005, 17:39
Im sure you mean the Gear was stuck DOWN fire3?:confused: :confused:

If the gear was stuck up it would have been a belly landing and this does'nt appear to be the case.

Matt.:ok:

fire3
19th Feb 2005, 17:40
my mistake,it was stuck down! sorrry.

FOUR REDS
19th Feb 2005, 19:16
Which airline was operating the BAe146 on behalf of EU-Jet?

runway23andahalf
19th Feb 2005, 20:50
>>Which airline opp a 146 for EU Jet

FOUR REDS, that would be Flightline I guess as they have been used in the past.

EU Jet have also recently used a B737-300 of Hola and Fischer Air
of Prague.

Cheers
R23+1/2

andyb79
20th Feb 2005, 00:06
Correct me if im wrong, but, surley the gear stuck down is more of an inconvenience than an emergency. OK, you cant complete the flight, but the gear will be locked down. so a landing will not be a problem (which, at the end of the day is all that really matters)
I dont know the details of a 146, but i imagine that the gear has some sort of geometric lock on it. how serious a situation would the captain consider this to be? surley it wouldnt warrent a mayday or even a pan. or would it?

Edited because i missed the space bar several times. Yes, i am drunk! :)

Skeleton
20th Feb 2005, 13:07
Anyone know anything about a EUJet with a gear prob. A253 is shut off at Manston while plane circles.

BBC 24 are now reporting the Kent police confirming an emergency at Manston - "Plane holding with Gear problems"

Hope all is ok

All well.. landed safe according to BBC.

At least my Mrs can stop texting me from the queue on the A253 now!!

:O

KentSeaSider
20th Feb 2005, 13:24
Local KM FM radio are reporting that it was a EUjet aircraft (presumably a F100) with no pax and 7 crew onboard.
Report said the A/C had problems with its landing gear and the A/C had now landed safely.

Wedge
20th Feb 2005, 14:10
BBC: Last Updated: Sunday, 20 February, 2005, 14:35 GMT

Damaged plane lands safely

A plane with faulty landing gear has landed at Kent International Airport at Manston.

The EU Jet was on its way from Gatwick Airport to Manston on a repositioning exercise when a problem occurred.

Emergency services were on standby as the plane circled over East Kent for an hour to get rid of fuel.

There were seven crew and no passengers on board the Fokker 100, which had a problem with its starboard undercarriage.

A spokesman from the airport said they implemented emergency procedures and Kent Fire Brigade was on standby with 13 appliances at the airport.

Kent Police closed the A253 south of the airport and traffic was being diverted.

Oilhead
20th Feb 2005, 14:13
And then a minute passed.......

Sheesh - guys go back to the Sunday roast!

I flew on EU Jet last Sunday out of Manston and the gear came up.......and down again in GVA -

Nice little Irish trolley dolleys! :E

jet2impress
20th Feb 2005, 14:16
When did all this happen? Today or yesterday?

supercarb
20th Feb 2005, 14:22
Already being discussed in this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=164106)

jet2impress
20th Feb 2005, 14:26
The BBC are reporting that the problem was with an F100 positioning from LGW with 7 crew onboard. Looks like this happened today. Is this two separate problems in two days or just crossed wires?

thgilf
20th Feb 2005, 14:26
I can confirm that A EU Jet did have a problem today at Manston on a flight from Gatwick, the aircraft was empty with 7 crew on board. The starboard main gear was showing as not being fully extended after several low level fly by's.
The captain carried out the standard manouver of touch n go landing twice to try to lock the fauly gear, on the second attempt it was sucsessful and the aircraft landed saftley.:ok:

Hope the captain gets a pat on the back.

Glad all was OK

fire3
20th Feb 2005, 14:31
The aircraft was a BA146 not a Fokker 100 as reported and there was 13 POB.

thgilf
20th Feb 2005, 14:34
The aircraft with the problem today 20th was a Fokker F100

EI-DFZ

(as usual)

Skeleton
20th Feb 2005, 14:42
Supercab this was today, not yesterdays "incident"

Good to hear the TheGilf... Mrs was watching it.

Sounds like El Capitano did a good job.

Skeleton
20th Feb 2005, 15:48
Seems to be some confusion here and I see the threads have now been merged which has confused it even more.

There was an incident involving an EuJet F100 with a gear problem at Manston airport this afternoon 20 February 2005.

It would appear that some people think I was reporting on "yesterdays" incident - Wrong!

The Real Slim Shady
20th Feb 2005, 16:42
Thegilf,

Are you sure it was an F100? There is nothing in the F100 approved abnormal procedures that would suggest a touch and go as a method of curing the problem.

The normal procedure calls for a recycle and if not successful the Altn Ldg Gear Procedure which is a gravity drop.

LuckandNeat
20th Feb 2005, 19:39
The situation arose this afternoon at about mid-day and ended with a safe landing due to the skill of the flight crew.

There are two seperate incidents, yesterday was a gear problem with a FlightLine BAe 146 into Manston and todays was the EU-Jet F100 main gear problem.

The F100, the more complex emergency compaired to the 146, aircraft made a flypast and this showed the starboard main was stuck in the half deployed position.

The aircraft then went of to carry out a set of manouvers to try and release the gear but this failed so circled the feild to burn fuel.

Then the crew decided to make a touch and go to try and bump the gear out to full deployment, the first failed so a second attempt was made with a good result.

The aircraft then made one final flypast to confirm the gear was now extended and the crew said they then had three green at which the plane made a safe landing.

Excellent skill of the crew ...

Well done !

5milesbaby
20th Feb 2005, 20:53
I can certify that this thread now is reporting TWO separate incidents. The first involved a Flightline Bae146 that departed Manston on an EUJet flight, but didn't get as far as Dover, instead circled overhead for a while to try and fix the problem, and being unsuccessful returned and landed safely at Manston. This occurred at around 1715z Saturday 19th February.

I have since heard of a F100 positioning having a gear problem today, Sunday 20th Feb, but has now landed safely.

What was the F100 doing in LGW in the first place? Maintenance? Would explain why the Bae146 was operating on the Saturday.

templar
20th Feb 2005, 20:54
The man in the hot seat was the Chief Pilot....

Nice one Dom!

Templar +

Smoke me a kipper
20th Feb 2005, 21:02
Trust me it was a F100 on sunday afternoon, certainly wasn't a 146 and had nothing to do with Gatwick!

Onan the Clumsy
20th Feb 2005, 22:01
Ok, so one aircraft with the gear stuck up and one aircraft with the gear stuck down.

Speaking as a Vector Mathematician, I'd say if the incidents were taken together, there was no problem. :8

LuckandNeat
20th Feb 2005, 22:23
" What was the F100 doing in LGW in the first place? Maintenance? Would explain why the Bae146 was operating on the Saturday. "

It diverted there the night before as it was past the A/D closing hours at MSE and the pax were coached from there ...

Hence why it was just crew on a positioning flight back to MSE

woodpecker
20th Feb 2005, 22:31
The man in the hot seat was the Chief Pilot....

What?? A Chief Pilot flying at a weekend?? It wouldn't be allowed in my airline!!

Hew Jaz
20th Feb 2005, 22:37
It diverted there the night before as it was past the A/D closing hours at MSE and the pax were coached from there ...

Erm, so pax choose MSE for convenience (presumably) rather than one of the other "London" airports, and......... end up going to LGW only to be then bussed back to Manston.......:ugh:

LuckandNeat
20th Feb 2005, 22:44
Hey ...

Diverts happen not just with the smaller airlines ...

If you get diverted for what ever reason then the airline decides wether to put the pax up into a hotel or transfer them alternativly ...

Hew Jaz
20th Feb 2005, 22:58
Sure, I wasn't knocking any airline - big or small - of course diverts happen.

It's the irony of having chosen what was presumably a more convenient airport, only to end up at LGW:)

5milesbaby
21st Feb 2005, 21:08
If the divert to LGW was due to EGMH being shut, then this has been happenning alot recently and must be costing EUJet a fortune. Perhaps their schedule is a little 'too tight' to get all the flights in one day completed??????

Hudson Bay
22nd Feb 2005, 07:13
Just been on TV that an EU jet F100 made an emergency landing. Full moving footage by an amateur camera man. Looked pretty scary. Seven pax on board.

wingandprayer
22nd Feb 2005, 17:16
Have to agree with 'slimshady' on this one.
Not an approved procedure.

VIKING9
22nd Feb 2005, 17:41
7 pax on board ?? - another well booked flight then :(

airborne_artist
22nd Feb 2005, 18:43
Viking - It has been reported that it was a positioning flight, with 7 crew (not 7 pax) on board - though why it takes 7 to move an F100 I'm not sure?

FWIW I flew Eu Manston-Nice-Manston 13 Feb-16 Feb - we were 110 out (on a Fischer 733) and 60 back on an F100.

wingandprayer
22nd Feb 2005, 18:45
Chief pilot with 300hrs jet P1 ??? Are you sure

23rd Feb 2005, 19:26
Wingandprayer

When the F-man gets back the rubber rulebook will be thrown away. No more 200 hour commands.

Maybe everybody will finally get a set of manuals, just like the ones the F and J men produced !!

And if Xmas comes early J man might be asked back and all the toys will be happy with the training again.

PBD 1
23rd Feb 2005, 20:19
Hello chaps what can I say!...... .. The "book" says the gear should come down after normal selection, failing this alternate gear procedure along with 2g turns and stuff. the "book" says then prepare to crash. True not approved and non standard, but one of my rules is its not over til the skinny, freckled faced yorkshire man sings! F-man and slim shady thank you for teaching me all I know! :ok:

The Real Slim Shady
24th Feb 2005, 08:37
Bah eck Ginge wen did thee learn t'fly level 2G turns then lad?

Ast tha bin drinkin pints of John Smith's an building up 't strength racing whippets?

Just so long as you covered your 6 and completed the procedures in the QRH you are asbestos.

F100BIRD
24th Feb 2005, 17:56
Well well well....i couldnt of cared less if it was in the "book" or not, our skinny freckled gingy CAPT with small feet might i add.. and our new F/O who was extremely cool and professional ... both did a remarkable job!!! Believe me!! :O

EuDuchess
24th Feb 2005, 19:49
just like to say well done to all the crew onboard, they were all fab!! Applause to the ginger chief...:ok: