View Full Version : C@th@y CEO Resigns!!

unabungler
12th May 2001, 13:55
MAKE NO MISTAKE!

In just a wee little while, the papers of HK and the aviation industry will herald this Headline.
(But will it reeaaally be a "resignation"??)

Viva la AOA!!!

Screaming Lord
12th May 2001, 14:56
Prayer mat out already, pleeeese let it be true.
SL

Archaeopteryx
12th May 2001, 17:30
I think you will see him move on in the not to distant future, but not as a result of resignation. It will be more to do with change of major shareholder. Swire to CITIC or another Chinese organ. Out of the frying pan into the blast furnace?

Goroundflap
12th May 2001, 18:03
He must be "Nuts" to leave Cathay in our time of need. Does this mean Capt M can have his job back now.

[This message has been edited by Goroundflap (edited 12 May 2001).]

air pressure
12th May 2001, 18:40
....pray this is true. Gentlemen, don't be too concerned if it results (or results from) a change to majority Chinese ownership. My father worked 40 years for a big Chinese concern in HK. He told me that the one overiding facet of working for the Chinese is that they loath confrontation. He found them to be good employers, and always looked for consensus. Remember Linus Chung and how he tried to cut pay at HK Telecom. Because he risked 'losing face', he backed down very quickly. The Swires have been the main source of our misery. Good riddance I say. I think the Chinese would be far more pragmatic, and far less likely to want confrontation. I think such a change could only be an improvement.

Mr Nice guy
13th May 2001, 19:18
Good news for the expats? Maybe

Good news for the locals? I'd say definitely! :)

Magenta Line
13th May 2001, 23:48
MNG,
118 posts for a guy who is not even a pilot, is quite amazing. You seem like a very keen young man - good for you.
Now, since you are a guy who seems to have a ready answer for just about anything, I would like to ask you: in what way do you think that local pilots would benefit more than expats from a Peking take over?
You make it sound a bit like and issue of expat vs. local. Let me assure you that is NOT the case. We all fight the same course. I have seen comments on another issue made by you or one of you fellow wannabees, casting doubt as to whether CX would want to have a local captain. What a load of cra*. You'll see one in less than two years when their seniority number is up.

[This message has been edited by Magenta Line (edited 13 May 2001).]

Guru
14th May 2001, 02:40
Magenta Line,

Do you know some of those people you mentioned? I'm asking just out of interest. I met a pilot (FO) after one of my interviews and from the dates he gave me I figure that he is getting close. He was quite a nice person so I am just curious to find out whether he is moving across to the LHS soon or not.

Regards.

Midnight Rambler
14th May 2001, 04:12
The first locally employed pilot on the seniority list is about 125 off the top. At the current rate of (say) 6-7 a month, that is somewhere between 18 and 21 months away. He will be the first of an ever-increasing flow.

wishtobeapilot
14th May 2001, 06:09
Whoa, we're starting to get away from the topic subject and drifting into another race issue.

Many wannabes are interested and want to be kept informed in the news of airlines (especially locally). While everyone will have their personal views on religion/race/colour etc., it is too sensitive a subject to be discussed in this forum. Let's get back to the discussions on hand... Everyday Issues Involving Pilots in Hong Kong.

Starting another 'expat vs. locals' issue will give SOG another excuse to post wise-crack comments and no use to all of us.

BTW, thanks to all who have previously posted useful comments to my queries.

Herb
14th May 2001, 12:43
Are you the censor from across the border? I am afraid we will talk about whatever we want on this forum..and that includes S.O.G.

[This message has been edited by Herb (edited 14 May 2001).]

geh065
14th May 2001, 14:29
Is he really leaving, or is this just a wind-up?

Ben&Jerry
14th May 2001, 18:13
Don't expect CITxC better than SqIRE!
And if the news if true, I think I finally need to take some Mandarin Class.

I don't think there are any benefit to expat or local, they are in the same boat.

wishtobeapilot
15th May 2001, 04:52
No Herb,

I'm not the censor from across the border nor is any intended. If you want to make it a racist or 'expat vs. local' issue, that's fine by me. I'm merely suggesting that we focus on the issues of the airline industry and the things affecting the daily lives of pilots.

smallwing
15th May 2001, 06:36
Hello,

Rumored a while back (from someone in CX) that Citic was not too happy with what SP was doing to CX.

Had a couple of their managers storming out of CX City in rage.....

FYI

Mr Nice guy
15th May 2001, 14:54
Magenta Line, doesn't that just reflect my level of enthusiasm? :)

Herb
15th May 2001, 15:38
WishToBe...You are missing the point completely. The local v expat issue is not one of race, it it one of COS. A lot of the local boys and girls feel hard done by, and with good reason. A change in management from Colonial to local (?) may well affect that. That is fair game for discussion as is the colour of the Popes socks if we feel so inclined. So I don't really care if that is fine by you or not!
Carry On!

Thrust
15th May 2001, 17:39
I agree with you Herb.

By the way you bring up an interesting point..... I've NEVER seen the Pope's socks. The colour would be a mystery to me. Does he actually wear any?

sigma
15th May 2001, 19:15
With the Chinese equity stake in the airline, they will be much more able to influence the COSAP.
Compare Mainland Chinese airlines pay to Cathay, it seems likely there will be a drive to narrow the gap between the pay scales.

If the CEO does retire,I like to wish him well, having been in Cathay for so long and helping it become one of the best airlines.

Magenta Line
15th May 2001, 21:05
Sigma, I hope your last sentence was a joke.

wishtobeapilot
16th May 2001, 04:53
Herb
OK, your point accepted. Could I ask how the COS is different between expats and locals? I thought they only differ in benefits (housing allowance etc...)
Thanks