PDA

View Full Version : Crash at Virginia

Tokoloshe
19th Feb 2005, 09:20
Just heard that there was an aircraft accident this morning at Virginia with a Cirrus aircraft. A good friend of mine was a passenger.
Anybody else have any more news??

Rhodie
19th Feb 2005, 12:28
Similar incident - heard of a light plane accident / incident at Margate on Thursday - no further information found to date..?

Nothing on the news services about Virginia at this time, but if it involves a Cirrus then would be interesting to know if it was a landing accident. There have been a quite a few to date and Cirrus have increased training in this aspect to purchaser's.

Hope all ok.

Cheers

R

Rhodie
20th Feb 2005, 07:22
Update - apparently CR22 was 'Loss of directional control on landing' and impacted a tree. Plane is said to be a write-off. Pilot and pax ok.

Margate appears to be a homebuilt Cub replica. Engine out after t/off and forced lob onto a road. 1 minor, 1 serious.

R

Gunship
20th Feb 2005, 07:50
Cirrus SR22 ZS-OZD was destroyed in a landing incident at Virginia
Airport this morning. All three pax were apparently unhurt.

The aircraft seemingly landed too 'deep' and then tried to take off again
but was unsuccessful, striking some trees at the end of the runway....

wheels up
20th Feb 2005, 16:02
If I remember correctly the Cirrus has full restraint harnesses on all the seats. Awesome aircraft to fly.

cavortingcheetah
20th Feb 2005, 16:21
It would be interesting to know whether the parachute deployed and whether this was a factor in retarding wave off/take off performance. I have no idea whether or not the parachute has a g switch and nor do the dealers where I presently find myself.
Good news that all well with the passengers. I rather thought that composite aircraft were prone to woof/boof type destruction on impacts. Glad to see that this is ain't necessarily so.:D

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Feb 2005, 06:37
Cheetah

I'm guessing that a G switch won't be installed. If the G switch were to fire the drogue it may be that it's already too late... ie, impact with the ground setting it off. :(

cavortingcheetah
21st Feb 2005, 08:04
:) Top of the Morning SRT.
That would be my guess as well. Quite apart from expense, what would the manufacturers liability be if a g switch suddenly activated the parachute while the aircraft was encountering turbulence at the bottom of a large CB.:E

Tokoloshe
21st Feb 2005, 15:16
Spoke to my (lucky) friend on the phone. He confirms that if it wasn't for the shoulder harnesses installed he would have been a lot worse off due to some severe "dash-rash":uhoh:

23rd Feb 2005, 07:49
Ouch, courtesy of Jetphotos.com

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/fredman747/ZS-OZD.jpg