PDA

View Full Version : Software installation problem

WindSpirit
18th Feb 2005, 17:43
Hi,

I am trying to install Pinnacle Studio on my father's computer. There is 97 GB of free space on the hard drive and the quota is unlimited. I think the software requires 500 MB of free space on the hard drive. The PC specifications exceed all requirements for this particular software. When I click "typical installation", the following error message appears: "There is not enough space to install these option(s). Please free up some disk space or modify your selections." I am somewhat perplexed by this :confused: .

I'd be really grateful if anyone had any suggestions. The PC is running Windows XP with SP2.

Thanks,
WindSpirit

Irish Steve
19th Feb 2005, 01:26
First suspicion.

Is Pinnacle Studio qualified to run on XP? If it's an older package, it may well be seeing the free space less what it wants as a negative number because discs with 100 Gb available just didn't exist when the package was written. If this is an old 95 or 98 package, you may need to look and see if there's an update for it for XP.

Next thing would be to see if there are any patches for it on the vendors web site, assuming there is one. SP2 could well have had some implications for the software you're trying to install.

Another thought, are you on XP home, or XP Pro. In some cases, if you are on XP Pro, and the account you are running in to install does not have full admin settings, some older software can throw all sorts of strange responses, not because of a "real" fault, but because it can't get write access to a directory that it's trying to install in. Even recent packages can suffer from that problem.

Another thought would be to have a look at the options that are available in a "custom" install, and see if that changes anything.

Hope that helps

Best of luck

spannersatcx
19th Feb 2005, 07:40
Which version are you trying to install 8 or 9?

You can try the registry cleaner here (http://www.pinnaclesys.com/docsupport1.asp?division_id=1&langue_id=2&product_id=577&product_name=&page_id=146) failing that ask the question on the forums here (http://webboard.pinnaclesys.com/default.asp?lng=1)

Background Noise
19th Feb 2005, 10:53
You don't say which version of studio but I have ver 8 installed on XP sp2 with no snags.

WindSpirit
19th Feb 2005, 11:28
Hi there,

Thanks for all your help and I'll try and explain things a bit more clearly. Initially, version 8 was installed on XP home and was then upgraded to version 9. Version 9 worked fine with XP home and SP2. Version 9 was then upgraded to pinnacle studio plus with the version 9 upgrade. So far so good apart from the program freezing due to virtual memory problems. I posted another message about that and based on the answers managed to allocate more virtual memory yesterday. The system had 10-fold too little virtual memory (144 MB instead of 1534 MB).

Because pinnacle studio plus was freezing, my father uninstalled it and put on some other video-editing software called ULEAD video studio 8 and ULEAD cool 3D. When I tried to put pinnacle studio plus back yesterday, it seemed not to recognize the free space on the hard drive and I got the error message. I thought there could be a problem with the upgrade installation as there wasn't an existing version of pinnacle on the computer anymore. We couldn't find the serial number for version 9 so I tried to install version 8 instead as the serial number is printed on the CD and you can upgrade directly from version 8 to studio plus. However, I got the same error message that there wasn't enough disk space.

I'm debating whether to uninstall ULEAD and see if that makes a difference, as everything seemed to be working before this was on the PC. Now I can't install any version of pinnacle.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!
WS

spannersatcx
19th Feb 2005, 15:59
Have you tried the registry cleaner yet? And tried the forum (Start=15&Sort=LastUpdated&AscDesc=desc&ForumID=1118&SectionID=227&WebboardID=1&lng=1) I'm sure you'll find the answer there!