PDA

View Full Version : Aeronautical Degrees Questions...

Srilankan-A340
18th Feb 2005, 11:12
Hey every one ! New to the forum. I am doing my AS levels in Maths, Physics, ICT & Italian. Next year I will be applying for university...I am looking forward to study Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering but I need some advice:

Generally I hear people say that there is a limited careers opportunity if you graduate in Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering , and you don't really need an AE degree to become a pilot....Well I am looking forward to study Aeronutical engineering and I am pretty sure I will enjoy it as I like challenging stuff !!!

Would the AE degree help me to get a decent job in Airbus or BAE Systems for example ? Or would it help me for a career in flight engineering ? Or any other careers related to aviation ?

I will be applying for uni this time next year and this is the COURSE (http://www.ic.ac.uk/p1580.htm) I would like to do at Imperial College (hopefully)

Or would you reccomend a FdEng Aircraft Engineering BEng(Hons) Aircraft Engineering ‘top-up’ (http://www.kingston.ac.uk/~kuweb/undergraduate/courses/h410.htm) course at Kingston ?

(I know Bath, Cambridge for example are ranked higher for AE courses, but I am looking for unis in London)

After the 4 year degree, if i decide to become a commercial/corporate pilot where should I apply?

I'll probably have more questions later on...Cheers

Genghis the Engineer
18th Feb 2005, 11:32
Generally I hear people say that there is a limited careers opportunity if you graduate in Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering
They are wrong, it is one of the best regarded engineering or general degrees going - it is true that probably 10-20% only end up working in aerospace, but virtually all Aero Eng graduates use their degrees to good effect.

Aeronutical engineering and I am pretty sure I will enjoy it as I like challenging stuff !!!
It is that.

Would the AE degree help me to get a decent job in Airbus or BAE Systems for example
Pretty much a prerequisite these days, the degree is essential, it's everything else you know that will help you get a job.

I will be applying for uni this time next year and this is the COURSE I would like to do at Imperial College (hopefully)
It's a good course, although equally good (and very similar) courses exist at Bath, Loughborough, Glasgow, Southampton...

Or would you reccomend a FdEng Aircraft Engineering BEng(Hons) Aircraft Engineering ‘top-up’ course at Kingston ?
That's not aimed at you, it's aimed at people who have started from a different position - a foundation degree, or possibly an experienced technician-engineer looking to move into a design type job.

(I know Bath, Cambridge for example are ranked higher for AE courses, but I am looking for unis in London)
No accounting for taste, I spend most my life trying to avoid London. But, if you are going for London, I'd say that Imperial was the best course, followed roughly equally by City and QMW.

After the 4 year degree, if i decide to become a commercial/corporate pilot where should I apply?
Well, the glib answer is, ask on one of the pilot forums on Pprune. But, the longer answer is that in theory you'll be in the same position as anybody else - you'll have to go and borrow an enormous sum of money (~£50k) and get yourself a frozen JAR-ATPL somewhere like OATS. You will however come at it from a high level of technical knowledge and ability to learn that the Aero degree gives you, so whilst it won't be a walk in the park, you'll probably handle it far better then than you would now.

G

sumps
18th Feb 2005, 14:14
RE: the Kingston degree G t E is correct, I am doing the Honours Top Up at Kingston. The whole program from start to finish is aimed at the Maintenance Engineer by taking you though the principles of aircraft systems, legislation and so on.
Looking at the Imperial Uni course it looks more like your designer type of degree.

You need to take a good look at your long-term wants and design your education to fit.

Good Luck :ok:

S

Srilankan-A340
18th Feb 2005, 15:26
Thanx for the input Genghis and Sumps !!! Very encouraging posts ;)