PDA

View Full Version : Happenings at Warrnambool

Screwed™
18th Feb 2005, 05:04
From The StandardSEARCH OVER

http://the.standard.net.au/ffximage/2005/02/18/jump,0.jpg

SOUTH-WEST Victoria's own search and rescue helicopter slipped into Warrnambool last night with little fanfare, ending a decade of anguish for some campaigners.
The multi-million-dollar BK 117 B2 Plus twin-engine chopper, complete with ambulance capabilities, is to be a permanent fixture at the city's aerodrome.
A private campaign by owner/pilot Tim Chibs and his four Warrnambool mates culminated in three victory laps over the city late yesterday.
Steve Guyett, Tony Franc, Stephen McDowell and David Hedger told The Standard the project had been a long, hard secret to keep.

The men will be trained as the helicopter's first crew members and last night quietly celebrated their involvement with Mr Chibs, their family and friends.
It remains unclear if WestVic Rescue Service, the team of community members behind a long public campaign for a similar service, will embrace the private venture.
Chairman John Robinson said yesterday the project was not associated with WestVic.

Mr Chibs yesterday flew the helicopter from Sydney where it has just completed a contract fighting fires for the NSW Parks and Wildlife Service.
He was born in Nigeria and trained as a pilot in Britain before arriving in Australia in 1982 where he has since built a helicopter business based at Moorabbin.
Mr Chibs said it brought him great joy to give a region what it had wanted for so long.
"We have had Warrnambool in our hearts for a long time and made the decision that it was time to come here," he said.
"We are a commercial entity. The core of our businesses is emergency services.
"I fell in love with this place a long time ago. A helicopter of this capacity is needed here and strategically for our business it is the right place for us to be."

Mr Chibs said the chopper, one of two he owned, was the only one between Melbourne and Adelaide with full emergency response capabilities.
"We can do anything that anyone wants with it," he said.
"One moment we can be firebombing and the next rescuing people from the sea. It takes about four minutes to get airborne."

Mr Chibs said the helicopter's side rescue winch could lift two or three adults to safety from as far below as 75 metres.
He said the helicopter could be configured to seat as many as 10 people plus a pilot or two patients on stretches, a doctor, nurse and crewman.
A night-sun, or spotlight, is also fitted for night ground searches.
With a full load of fuel the helicopter is capable of return trips to South Australia and Melbourne.

Mr Chibs stressed ambulance operations could only be conducted under the auspice of Air Ambulance Victoria, with which he was finalising arrangements.
He did, however, say the chopper was already accredited to access The Alfred hospital's new state-of-the-art trauma centre.
Mr Chibs said he had supported WestVic's campaign for many years and would continue to support his good friend John Robinson in his efforts.
"We totally support John Robinson and are appalled it has taken nine years...At the end of the day, we were just tired of a helicopter not being here," he said. "The business relies on revenue. At the end of the day we need that to survive here.
"What we need to do is draw on our commercial enterprises to provide revenue to keep this helicopter in a community that needs it."
Kept THAT under their hat!
"The business relies on revenue. At the end of the day we need that to survive here.
And that revenue would be.....joyflights?

http://the.standard.net.au/articles/2005/02/18/1108609383489.html

High Nr
18th Feb 2005, 10:18
For those that know this "Outfit" as apart from "Outlaw", then rest assured there will be no amicable finish to their latest escapade....get good lawyers NOW.

For those that can’t understand how a Nigerian with absolutely nothing, can own a BK 117 in Australia, should ring JW at YMMB.

This will be a most interesting saga to follow.

Hope all the business folk in that town count their fingers each and every night.

Do some research before you sign…..Great advice.

Screwed™
20th Feb 2005, 08:08
http://www.abc.net.au/southwestvic/stories/s1305785.htm
Makes some interesting reading / listening.
Not even the locals think it's going to last.
Mr Robinson, make no mistake, this 'fly by nighter' is going to damage your cause, your credibility and locals confidence in such a service when he leaves as suddenly as he came….and he will. I'll give him 3 months. Maybe sooner if he can find some work for his machine elsewhere.

sling load
20th Feb 2005, 22:05
I dont give him long either. He has no contract, no work and contrary to what Mr Chibs says, no agreement with the Ambulance Service.
I feel sorry for the fellows who have followed him down there, i cannot see anyone chartering a VFR BK117 for rescue work/HEMS, no way.
I am not quite sure where his money comes from, as for him owning the helicopters................................................. .........ive heard different.

spinwing
21st Feb 2005, 18:43
Are you all sure this is not one of those "Nigerian Scams" .... we keep hearing about ???

:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

Nev Bartos
21st Feb 2005, 21:33
Maybe that is were all the money is coming from ?

andma
23rd Feb 2005, 11:13
The people involved and pictured in the picture know who i am by my username but i live in Warrnambool and i think i will throw in my 2 cents worth.
The Idea of a Rescue Helicopter for South West Victoria is a great Idea and it really is needed. However the way this mob has gone about accquiring one has got a bit to be desired. This whole secret idea is not a smart idea how often do you see Ambulance, SES or Police open an office in secret?
Don't quote me as i have no real knowledge into their operations but to my knowledge they have no backing or agreements with any emergency services. As for SAR i personally believe that if i was the co-ordinator I would much prefer to get 4 R44's searching the 1 Bk. Especially since the R44's are normally in the area courtsey of 12 Apostle helicopters.
They are claiming to be a Emergency service helicopter but to my knowledge and i'm possible wrong but i believe in Victoria you must have a MICA paramedic onboard and not any old paramedic like it is in the other states of Australia but i don't see even a paramedic i see a car yard employee and couple of Volunteer Firefighters and a couple of very skilled commerical pilots. I'm not aware that a first aid certificate is a real great qualification in life saving effort but i have say i would much prefer to see these guys flying over me when i'm stranded then no body.
I have spoken and heard from a few people in the local community and as far as 3 months go i don't agree but a lot do.

Just in closing 2 quick questions

1. does anyone know the rules about single pilot SAR and airwork in a BK?

2. If you are on call 24hrs for SAR or Emergency does it count as duty time if you are living at a premises which is at the same address as the aircraft is housed where ever that could be? In which case do you have to knock back charter or declare a mercy flight?

Finnally to the guys in the picture best of luck, you have had a dream you have made it come true, which is a lot more then most of us on this !!!!!!RUMOR!!!!! Network, I wish you all the success in this venture, Heaven know one of them has had and awful time and he's just trying to help promote flying to all.

Regards

eagle 86
24th Feb 2005, 00:10
Andma,
"not any old paramedic like it is in the other states of Australia"
In nsw the paramedics on HEMS are "SCAT", the equivalent to your "MICA".
GAGS
E86

Av8r
24th Feb 2005, 00:21
In nsw the paramedics on HEMS are "SCAT", the equivalent to your "MICA".

Can your SCAT's RSI?

3 o'clock
24th Feb 2005, 05:21
I heard a rumor that John Friedrich (NSCA boss) shaved his beard and darkened his skin before doing a runner... just a rumor though :E

Aquaboy
24th Feb 2005, 21:40
3 o'clock,

Is that the runner that Freddy did from Europe on track to NZ then into Australia with the authorities after him, or the one that he did after the demise of the NSCA?:confused:

wocawoca
28th Feb 2005, 11:59
Hey andma, last i heard the guys at 12 Apostles Helicopters operate jeties, not R44's.

gadgetguru
28th Feb 2005, 20:21
there is more than one operator at 12 apostles :ok:

Gimble
28th Feb 2005, 22:07
Bloody typical. Where the hell is our useless regulator CASA.

What do you thinks this mobs Operations Manual has to say about HEMS operations.
Not a thing!!!!
How do you think they manage fatigue on a 24/7 roster with only one crew?
What training has the crew undertaken?
A fitness program for the crew looks like it might be a good place to start.
If the good people of Warrnambool feel they need a rescue helicopter, why don’t they advertise for staff set up an AOC and Certificate of approval and buy a helicopter. At least that way they could see where their money has gone. Shelling out public money only to have the helicopter disappear at the next fire season opportunity makes no sense.
There are good people out there. There is quality staff of a high calibre in the middle east right now busting for an opportunity to come home to work like this. All you have to do is advertise.
Helicopters cost.
Staff costs.
If you wish to have any control over these costs you need your own. Otherwise it will cost you a little more.
A well managed community based helicopter in a place like Warrnambool could almost be self supporting.
Hire a manager. He/she then,
Sets up a charity.
Gain the co-operation of the Ambulance service.
Writes an operations manual.
Fund raise within the community.
Purchase a helicopter
Hire staff.
A good manager would have you operational within 18 months.
Look! I know it is not that simple. That's why you hire a manager first. It is his job to sort out the details. The Warrnambool City council employs the manager directly giving them ultimate control.

Edited.

Heliport

tolipZO
1st Mar 2005, 00:20
Maybe this fella has done what others wont do due to there own personal glory. The Victorian Government would rather spend $1billion putting a fancy roof on spencer street station than to save lives in South West Victoria.

He will probably fail by going around it the wrong way but he may succeed in embarrasing the powers that be into some action.

Lets hope there is a good ending.

Oh and i think PremiAIR helicopters has the 4 R44s and a AS350 down on the coast.

Big Splash
14th Mar 2005, 09:10
What happened Gimble did you get moderated? Bad Boy.

It seems your comments were listened to by somebody in CASA.

They are really giving this bloke the run around now!

talklimited
14th Mar 2005, 11:51
This is the link to the story in the Warrnambool Standard

http://the.standard.net.au/articles/2005/03/02/1109700499553.html

DENIS Napthine yesterday threw his political support behind the region's new emergency helicopter, calling on the State Government to provide a financial retainer that would ensure its long-term future at Warrnambool.

The member for South West Coast said he wanted to meet with the helicopter's owner Tim Chibs before deciding to officially support the venture.

The pair met behind closed doors at the Warrnambool airport before emerging to announce they were "singing from the same hymn book".

"I wanted to talk directly to Tim and satisfy myself - to be frank - of his bona fides and his commitment," Dr Napthine said.

"The last thing we needed was a fly-by-night operator.

"I'm satisfied Tim has enormous experience in terms of his own skills and qualifications as a pilot and a pilot working in the emergency services area.

"Here we have a highly-skilled operator, a helicopter that can do the job and I believe we have a real demand for this multi-purpose rescue service."

Mr Chibs said Dr Napthine's support was an important step towards uniting the region behind the helicopter and arguing the case for Government support.

"The focus now is to make sure we all sing out of the same hymn book - that is vital," he said.

Dr Napthine said he would actively campaign for Premier Steve Bracks to financially support it.

"The next step is to get the State Government to have genuine consultation with Tim with a view to, I believe, putting Tim's company on an ongoing retainer that would retain his service in the area," he said.

"He needs funding and I think the best form is a retainer fee so Tim and his people can guarantee to stay here.

"He has a multi-million-dollar helicopter here and he has costs to meet - if he can't get ongoing support there is no way known the service can stay here.

"Everyone in western Victoria knows somebody where this sort of service would have made a real difference in saving a person's life or significantly reducing their trauma or injuries."

Dr Napthine said it was imperative the State Government and Air Ambulance Victoria formed a partnership that allowed the helicopter to provide paramedic services.

Aussie Mate
14th Mar 2005, 14:16
Why don't you put the task out to tender??

Don't whatever you do, get into bed with this particular group [individual] [one man show] and his ultra fit crew, without first asking some pointed questions.

I gather in your hymn book you had questions such as:

•Have you ever crashed a helicopter in which you were the cause of the crash.

•Is the ownership of that particular helicopter under a legal ownership challenge by a well respected engineer in Melbourne.

•Do you have the necessary maintenance approvals to operate this class of helicopter?? Is the reason you arnt flying much have something to do with a maintenance controller gone missing and unpaid invoices.

•Can you really operate a VFR helicopter in IFR? you can??

•And of course your a current IFR pilot, aren’t you?

•Where did you get all that EMS experience?...which EMS operators in Australia have you worked for?? Oh in Nigeria, I see...!!!

•You have at least 3 other "Highly Experienced IFR" pilots to assist, don't you?

•When did you gain your ISO 9000 Certification, required for Government Contracts. Oh no, you don’t have one, do you?

•You do operate a CAR 217 Training System, don't you?

•And your Fatigue Risk Management System must be one of those new third generation systems hey??, Oh you do know what an FRMS is don't you?

Someone had better warn the good Doctor.

Loose Mast Nut
15th Mar 2005, 01:04
Don't hold back, get into it, boots and all.

He has 6 weeks to go, or I do my dough.

Big Splash
15th Mar 2005, 07:59
What is it about a helicopter that turns normally very intelligent, rational people like the good doctor into, umm, well, something less?
You see it all the time.
In NSW the good public donate cash above their normal taxes to keep the helicopters flying.
Maybe it is a hypnotic effect of the rotors turning.

Loose Mast Nut
28th Mar 2005, 10:10
Anyone have any update on this unusual situation??

Big Splash / Gimble what is CASA interested in, in this particular instance?

Are they still there?, and if they are, are they flying?

sling load
31st Mar 2005, 00:43
Be interesting to hear if these people are doing any flying yet.
I hear LifeFlight in Melbourne are pushing their wares in an open day at East Gippsland to jack up work

Destabilized
31st Mar 2005, 05:33
Lifefright pushing what? Between looking after Superbikes for nix, of course.

Talking of Warrnambool, would the blue and white BK117 at Tullamarine Airport, that was reposessed a couple of days ago, have anything to do with them :rolleyes:

Loose Mast Nut
31st Mar 2005, 08:44
Please go on.

I have a $100 on this outcome and only 18 days to go.

It could not be, could it??

sling load
31st Mar 2005, 10:40
It was heard on ABC local radio by a friend that LifeFlight is having some kind of open day down that way, things must be quiet if they have to go all the way down there.
Interesting to see if thats Tim Chibs machine parked up there. Perhaps a call to the local newspaper could be made to see if theyve heard anything.

maxspeed
31st Mar 2005, 17:28
The BK from Warrnambool has infact being repossesed over a week ago, security gaurds the lot, very dramatic!

Screwed™
31st Mar 2005, 19:45
Dammit! Only 4 weeks!!
And I foolishly gave him 3 months. :ugh:
Well done Mr Chibs. Damaged your already dodgy reputation (if that's possible) and damaged the helicopter cause in general.
Now when Mr Robinson (or who ever) legitimately sets a SAR / EMS bird down there, lets see what the locals reception is.
Skipped town also owing money I'll bet??
This was always going to happen. Remember the name.
It's a sad day for the helicopter industry.

belly tank
31st Mar 2005, 20:44
Loose Mast Nut!.....good foresight champ!

Gives the community a sense of comfort doesnt it!!!!.....this machine was x hired to N.P.W.S in YSBK for the fire season...was this the one?....i hope someone can restore a bit of credit with the public down there and provide a good service.!

Gymble Stop
31st Mar 2005, 21:07
Please don’t get too excited about Tim’s unfortunate misunderstandings with the banks and CASA.

Tim is a credit to our industry. His propensity and ability to ‘value add’ and his innovative approach will always guarantee him a place within our industry.

Maybe even within our consortium!

Yikes
31st Mar 2005, 22:27
Wind up Alert :rolleyes:

Loose Mast Nut
1st Apr 2005, 01:31
Didn't even need to get the Crystal Ball out from under the bed for this one.

Gymble, glad its April 01, or I would have to slap you hard.

Smarto
7th Apr 2005, 20:40
Please feel free to check the latest on this on the ABC South West Vic Web site and have a listen. It should be posted sometime friday the 8th April.
Probably will be something on the Standards Web page too!

sling load
7th Apr 2005, 22:48
Both Articles are there, receivers appointed, BK117 gone.

Vfrpilotpb
8th Apr 2005, 08:02
This thread has got me thinking that Mr Chips would possibly be the man to help me and "Princess Tullulah" (with whom I have had a wonderful "E" relationship) collect the $75Million that just needs picking up from a secret location in the African bush.

For his effort I am sure the Princess would allocate some funds from the 25%( of the total) fee that she is keeping, the balance being split between me and two other really Kind and Honest British Business men !

:cool:

Vfr

High Nr
8th Apr 2005, 11:33
Dear Mr. Chips…!!!

We have been appointed to find the heir of the helicopter that is owned by Westpac and stolen by some Nigerian from Mr. Wilxxx at YMMB.

Please advise where the said airframe is, so we can take action to ensure it is returned to the legitimate operator in the Australian Industry.

How is your working VISA looking???

Not so Good I hear.....We will see……

UK Guys, watch this space...or SA...???

sling load
9th Apr 2005, 03:11
High NR,
Whats the story with his work permit, he doesnt have permanent residency?
I hope he doesnt re appear somewhere else, watch out peoples

Knockout
9th Apr 2005, 23:08
There is a huge fire burning near Warrnambool 1800Ha, 34 CFA Tankers and its NOT UNDER CONTROL!!! this helicopter could have been there to help. I hope someone gets a kick up the ar$e!

Destabilized
9th Apr 2005, 23:21
HNr

Chibs, not Chips :rolleyes: JW's 117 is VH-IME, which is on long term lease for EMS in Sydney, IIRC. Sorted in JW's favor many moons ago.

Since Mr Chibs was sponsored into Oz by Jayrow many years ago, I'd be very surprised if residency would be an issue.

Knockout,

B Rees is on the Airdesk this weekend: nothing will be tasked that costs money, unless his personal favourites are called. More than one BK sitting idle in Melbourne available for call (three?), it would take an Act of Parliament to get him to task non contract machines :mad:

Oogle
10th Apr 2005, 03:28
I don't know what it is about some people but I think this thread is getting a little too personal.

Gents, cut out the personal attacks on people as this does not help anyone.

Nationality, work visas ??? Getting a little too messy.

Heliport:

I think you need to step in here.:(

High Nr
10th Apr 2005, 05:12
It seems that my advice was [may not] be correct, therefore I will withdraw that specific statement about Visa's.

And if I am proved wrong, will openly apologise.

wocawoca
10th Apr 2005, 07:00
Well Mr Chibs,
Arent you a clever little dick? You have just ruined over Ten Years of hard work from all those associated with WestVic past and present in particular that of John Robinson. It will only become even harder now to recieve support from the Government and that of the people of Western Victoria.

Loose Mast Nut
10th Apr 2005, 09:25
We are OK mate, no need for the fun police to intrude.

We downunder have tougher skin and thicker heads than you hybrids.

Passions are a little testy with this Warrnambool thing, as its been a long time coming, now screwed up because of a cretin that should be pushed out of our Industry.

Knockout
10th Apr 2005, 19:45
well, it's a pity Inspector Robinson, is willing to wait a few years and many people to die before he really wants to get a helicopter, Oh hang on that's about when he retires (to a good flying job)

High Nr
10th Apr 2005, 20:46
Your post is vague and/or suggestive. Please clarify what you are saying.

Are you suggesting that the current Westvic person, Mr. Robinson is not trying to establish a service for the people??

I am sure he "really wants to".

But maybe not with the two Mickey Mouse Mobs that are muddying the waters.

Please clarify!!

sling load
11th Apr 2005, 04:50
Knockout,
you obviously know nothing about Mr Chibs or Mr Robinson.

Capt Hollywood
11th Apr 2005, 05:13
Destabilzed,

I got released from that fire yesterday having done about 20hrs over 3 days and I certainly wouldn't consider myself one of Bryan's favourites! I was the only heli on the fire.

They had three fixed wing bombers working the fire but with the winds up around 30kts+ and the fire crowning they couldn't get in under the smoke. Thankfully the weather helped us out overnight.

Hollywood :cool:

Destabilized
11th Apr 2005, 05:25
Hollywood,

Ah, but you were in a contract machine, no? Whilst you in a Firebird was useful, what could have been done with a medium, especially if the bombers couldn't get under the smoke, as you say? Three mediums sitting around in Melbourne all weekend, but BR wouldn't have it any other way, would he ;)

Just don't do a Gary on him :rolleyes:

Back on Chibs's track, anyone had an approach from the receivers yet? I hear the MR was exceptionally difficult to find when the pilot turned up to fly the 117 away: funny that :\

Capt Hollywood
11th Apr 2005, 05:46
Whilst on the fire I flew some media from Hamilton who had covered the story on the Warrnambool BK. They mentioned there were a lot of very unhappy people in Warrnambool, not surprisingly I suppose. They seemed to think that the government had let everyone down by not supporting the idea.

With your comment about 'doing a Gary' you've got me wondering who you are Destabilized! :confused: Feel free to send me pm!

Cheers,

Destabilized
11th Apr 2005, 10:13
Hollywood,

the way you drive that Ute of yours, you should have volunteered to the Warnnambool press to take over from Chibsy :p

andma
20th Apr 2005, 10:24
Hollywood

I don't know where you get your information from but i as a Warrnabool resident know i didn't expect the BK to stay nor did i expect the government to back it and i know of plenty of people who didn't expect it to stay in fact i know 2 of Mr Chibbs crew and i know more people who didn't expect to say so i do not who who these sad resident where unless it the people who lost money in this issue.

The Nr Fairy
20th Apr 2005, 12:38
andma:

Would these :

. . . . . , , , !! ?

help make your post a bit more understandable ?

NedRex
17th May 2005, 08:15
Just returned from a visit to the old Ansett hangar at Melbourne airport. Whilst I was there I was surprised to see a BK117, VH-BKG, sitting in the corner all roped off. I was told that the aircraft has been reposessed.

What will Mr. Chibbs do next I wonder?

My, my, isn't the helicopter industry a constant source of amusement!

NedRex

bladebanger
17th May 2005, 10:52
ANDMA, you fool. You have no idea from your post as to the operational side of things of what it takes to run an operation.
These people give it 110%. You bamble on with absolute Pucking S%%t and then say it's not there fault.Wake up before you and the rest of your tribe get other people killed.

Banger

Loose Mast Nut
17th May 2005, 11:37
What a vulgar little mouth.!!

He was being as up front as possible. Even if he can't spell the town that he lives in..!!!

Slow down and think, and perhaps the words may just come to you, without transforming this thread to your level.

:O

There = Their....now where is that English Chalkie..???

bladebanger
17th May 2005, 13:29
Losse mast Nut.

Point taken. however it concerns me that one someone says that it was doomed to fail. He said that he knew it would NOT work.
This leaves people in the learch(Not a good place)
I know that we all need to try, and i hope it all works as we all need it to work, but we DO NOT NEED operations that are doomed to fail.

I am not trying to critisize. i am voiceing my concerns. nothing else. i would like to see another operator in the western Victoria region but they need to make it viable.

Banger

leading edge
17th May 2005, 22:42
I saw an ad the other day for tenders to provide helicopter services to NSW Parks and Wildlife.

Isn't that the contract that 'heli-chibbs" had? Perhaps it comes out each year.... or perhaps not....just thought some one might be interested.

andma
20th May 2005, 11:48
Blade banger

So you want me to spell and grammar check my post because you're to unintelligent to work out what I was saying.

As far as giving 110% I can tell you now all of Mr Chibbs crew (excluding Tim) work full time jobs in Warrnambool, therefore 8 hours of their days are already gone, on top of that at least one of the members is volunteering his spare time to the CFA and another is regularly hitting his duty times in the fixed wing area. So take away the usual 6 hours of sleep and there isn't even 50% of the day left. Given that information I would expect 110% would be a minimal that these guys would have to put in given the time they have left to dedicate themselves to run even a half arsed service.

As far as my crowd getting people killed I’m much prefer to die in an accident on terra firma then die screaming as the BK-117 I was in was falling to the ground with an incompetent crew.

Do you realise only 2 of the member have a CPL only one of which is for Rotary wing, add to that the only other qualifications would be CFA First aid training and a winch operators course Mr Chibbs put together himself.

Mr Guyett pushed the Warrnambool Aero Club to get a Tecnam and even they with their flying member base knew it was not going to be viable. But Mr Guyett decided if you can't get a $100,000 Tecnam to be viable in a flying club it would be a snap to get a $2,000,000 BK-117 running with a couple of mates.

Chief Inspector Robinson Full time police Force employee with experience in the Air Wing and HEM operations and multiple contacts in the Emergency Services and Government can not get this service operational

What make a Volunteer District Group Officer in the CFA with a full time job in another field of interest think he would be better suited to running this service?

On another note:
Did anyone notice Mr Guyetts comment after a EPIRB was set off in Port Fairy by accident? The Standard Portrayed Mr guyett as informing them that Tim Chibbs was co-ordinating the SAR operation from Melbourne. Is Tim Chibbs now employed by AUSSAR or one of its agencies?

I hope this message is up to your standard this time.

Point of note ARC HELICOPTERS is dead and not likely to return lets forget this forum and move on to trying to promote flying and Aviation to a new generation of pilots, I notice a lot of flying school in community areas are dying and pilots simply throwing the towel in due to lack of aircraft availability. Shouldn’t this be a more pressing issue now then a defunct Tim Chibbs?

Knockout
22nd May 2005, 23:19
andma,

Sounds like you just want to whine about everything, also sounds like you and some others on this forum know "stuff all" about the situation.

A bit more positive thinking in the industry, instead of backstabbing, might lead to a happier and safer industry!

Capt Hollywood
23rd May 2005, 08:38
Andma,

Hollywood, I don't know where you get your information from....

I got it from the press photographers I had on board. I'm not saying it's factual, just passing on a comment from a couple of Warrnambool residents.

Destabilised,

No you've really got me thinking! I sold the ute last Friday by the way, back to the pushie for me.

Cheers,

belly tank
6th Jun 2005, 05:09
I see today in the tenders page that expressions of interest are invited for the BK in question.

Hey arent NPWS looking for a cheap twin! :}

Knockout
23rd Jun 2005, 20:34
FLYING VISIT
By GLEN BERNOTH
June 23, 2005

Warrnambool Standard

Bristow Helicopters Australia contracted to transport the Woodside Energy workers to and from the Thylacine gas field

ANY hope Woodside Energy would provide the south-west with a permanent search and rescue helicopter has been dashed, with the company announcing yesterday it could only help on a temporary basis.

Woodside will bring two helicopters worth $15 million to Warrnambool in October and make them available for emergency search and rescue work for about nine months.

The company has awarded a contract to Bristow Helicopters Australia to supply the choppers for the duration of its Otway Gas Project construction phase.

That phase is expected to last between eight and 12 months, when the helicopters will disappear again.

The announcement is bitter-sweet for WestVic Helicopter Rescue Service - the group behind a 10-year campaign for a fully equipped search and rescue chopper to be based in the south-west.

West Vic chairman John Robinson had hoped Woodside would base a helicopter, with emergency capabilities, at Warrnambool permanently to provide ongoing support for its Otway basin interests.

Woodside spokeswoman Nicole Turner said yesterday neither aircraft would remain in Warrnambool and the company no longer had the capacity to provide any helicopter on a long-term basis.

"I guess it is a good outcome that they will fly in and out of Warrnambool for nine months...this obviously is not the dedicated helicopter that West Vic was pursuing," she said.

"We won't have a permanent helicopter in that area.

"When WestVic, the State Government and us were in discussions about a rescue helicopter...we couldn't reach an agreement with the Government so it was off the table and we pursued it on a commercial basis."

Bristow Helicopters Australia general manager Paul Gliddon said four pilots and four engineers would accompany an 18-seat Super Puma Eurocopter and 10-seat Sikorsky S76 to Warrnambool.

Mr Gliddon said the aircraft were fitted with the latest safety enhancements and had the capacity to react to emergencies if instructed to do so by Australian Search and Rescue (AusSAR).

Mr Robinson said his committee welcomed the short-term safety net that would come with the helicopter's arrival, but would continue its efforts to pressure Government for a permanent search and rescue service.

"We will be doing everything we can to support them because obviously we know they will support us in our time of need," he said.

"This provides some comfort for the period the helicopters are here.

"They wont be dealing with medical emergencies, which is the greatest need in the west of the state."

Mr Robinson said his committee was not defeated and would continue to campaign for a permanent helicopter dedicated to saving south-west lives.

"We are concentrating on the long-term - really the call now is for the Government to fully fund such a service," he said.

Warrnambool Standard
Helicopters to ferry 300 gas rig workers
By GLEN BERNOTH
June 23, 2005

UP to 300 gas workers will be flown between the Warrrnambool aerodrome and an offshore gas rig 70 kilometres south of Port Campbell between November this year and August 2006.

Bristow Helicopters Australia has won the contract to transport the Woodside Energy workers to and from the Thylacine gas field, where they will drill wells and lay a massive pipeline to bring gas onshore.

Perth-based general manager Paul Gliddon said four pilots and four engineers would man an 18-seat Super Puma Eurocopter and 10-seat Sikorsky S75 to provide the passenger service.

"I would think there will be a couple of flights a day seven days a week," he said. "These are big aircraft. The Super Puma is worth about $10 million and the S76 about $5 million.

"They'll be operating out of Warrnambool the whole time supporting the pipeline laying barge and drilling program.

"We're not using the aircraft for heavy lifting."

Mr Gliddon said he anticipated the helicopters would arrive in late October and start work in November.

He said the construction phase was expected to take nine months but could take anywhere from eight to 12 months.

Woodside spokeswoman Nicole Turner said the weather and a number of other variables would dictate how long the construction phase lasted.

She said phase one also included the construction of a gas processing plant, which will be located at the same site as Tru Energy's existing facility at Waarre near Port Campbell.

"The helicopters are not needed for that though. They will only be used for the offshore work," she said.

"Initially personnel will be mobilised and demobilised from the Warrnambool airport about five times a week

"Later on there will be up to 10 flights a week."

Bristow originated in the United Kingdom and now has ventures all over the world.

Bristow Helicopters Australia was formed in 1967 and operates 13 aircraft nationally.

The Voice
23rd Jun 2005, 22:45
crikey, that'll be nice flying down there in Jun-Aug .. :\

Halliday
2nd Jan 2013, 05:28
Been out of touch o/s for a while. Left when Mr Robinson was negotiating BK 117 B2 for rescue work. Heard that Mr Robinson led the campaign for this unit. I was a bit doubtful at the time re the business model it just seemed a bit shaky and amateurish. Is this helicopter currently operating at Warrnambool in its intended role? If not, can anyone enlighten me as to the current situation?

havick
2nd Jan 2013, 18:56
Australian Helicopters provides a fixed base B412EP under the Ambulance Victoria contract. It's been there for 3-4 years now. They've also got the HEMS B412EP out of Essendon.