PDA

View Full Version : There's no money in freight!!

Redstone
18th Feb 2005, 04:32
Rumour has it at QF that the board is looking seriously at purchasing two 744 freighters. If this is true, some could quite literately be flying rubber dog $hit out of Hong Kong in the not to distant future.

TopperHarley
18th Feb 2005, 06:07
Arent QF currently operating a few freight services day into SYD ??

Using Polar/Global 744's I think.

argusmoon
18th Feb 2005, 06:48
Atlas Air provide the wet leases for most of QF freight services.See the IASC website for the info.
www.iasc.gov.au

Redstone
19th Feb 2005, 16:37
Could be wrong but I think it's about 12 Atlas flights a week wet leased. Coming in chocked and leaving empty......... speaks volumes in terms of balance of payments.

TIMMEEEE
19th Feb 2005, 21:10
Redstone.

I think you may find that what we export from Australia on aircraft are typically seafood/fresh produce/medicines/smaller industrial items and chemicals etc.
Things with a shelf life typically

What we manufacture/export in this country goes very well on a container ship or tanker and most are not appropriate for aircraft.

Just because we dont send it offshore by jet doesnt mean we're not exporting.

Redstone
20th Feb 2005, 01:13
Yes Timmeee, it was a throw away line and a sarcastic attempt at humour. Never the less, QF has built up quite an operation in freight these days, it doesn't seem that long ago that a certain CEO was dead against freight citing the lack of money to be made while Singapore and MAS et all were beating a steady path into Sydney.