PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo crash

GBender
18th Feb 2005, 03:44
Anybody have any info on a Buffalo prang in Southern Sudan??

GBender

dynamite dean
18th Feb 2005, 20:20
Actually talking to friend this evening and I learnt that a former student is on a buffalo these days and there can't bemany around. Registered in Kenya possibly the one your talking about well if it is apparently it landed and the undercarriage collapsed.
there you go.

Coleman Myers
19th Feb 2005, 13:59
Dynamite, oh were it so simple. Buffalo undercarriages are very tough !.

The poor aircraft is said to have engaged a trench, dug accross the undershoot by forces which shall remain nameless ... but with the best humanitarian intentions shall we say ... I have heard Buffalo crews will use a portion ground before the threshold to maximise runway length due to the very steep approach profile of the aircraft ?.

Last week a Herc in Iraq (US Forces) - last year a Jumbo in Lagos (HydroAir) suffered the same fate.Thankfully in all instances nobody was seriously hurt (correct me if I am wrong, but I hope not?) but all three could have been disasterous.

What ever happened to publishing NOTAMS - they are as inportant in Southern Sudan as they are at Heathrow !!!!!!.:*

dynamite dean
19th Feb 2005, 18:09
Sorry just passing on a rumour!

there you go.:D

Coleman Myers
20th Feb 2005, 07:20
No wurries - just sad to see an old bird go ... she was an ex-AF Zambia aircraft and had been well overhauled. Another chapter closes on the STOL legend !.

fireitup
21st Feb 2005, 02:59
I heard D116-W running about south sudan yesterday on the radio.

One goes and another returns. Nice Machines.

Fire:ok:

Coleman Myers
21st Feb 2005, 10:31
Hi Fire,

What is the registration number - I am not too familiar, but I guess the owners of TEL would have to have replaced her with a second machine maybe.

There are apparently 7 on the Kenya Civil register.

fireitup
21st Feb 2005, 14:00
Sorry don't know reg but will ask a few friends in the area.

As far as i know all remaining bufs are operated by Trident??

fire:ok: