PDA

View Full Version : easyJet passengers - wrong Rome airport check-in?

jetstream7
17th Feb 2005, 10:51
In this link to a Swiss newspaper it is talking about the new compensation rules - it describes how passengers from Rome to Geneva went to Ciampino, but found their plane had 'mistakenly' landed at Fiumicino instead and that they had to make their own way there

http://www.24heures.ch/home/journal/gros_titres/index.php?Page_ID=6445&art_id=45446&Rubrique=Gros+titres

I understand the story around compensation, but am curious about the suggestion that the plane had mistakenly landed at the wrong airport.

I totally expect that it is Swiss newspapers proving they can get it as wrong as the British press - I presume what did happen was a diversion - anyone put the true story across?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th Feb 2005, 11:13
<<but am curious about the suggestion that the plane had mistakenly landed at the wrong airport.

I totally expect that it is Swiss newspapers proving they can get it as wrong as the British press>>

Don't be too quick to blame the press until you get the true facts. I experienced a/c doing something similar twice during my time at Heathrow so it's not unheard of.

hobie
17th Feb 2005, 11:24
Northolt HD :confused:

Wee Weasley Welshman
17th Feb 2005, 12:02
Sometimes a Commander may decide not to land at Ciampino and elect to go a few miles away to Fiumicino instead. Usually in the case of the circling approach being in use at CIA. It is a demanding approach and if its a blustery night close to minima or part of the lighting is U/S (as has been the case recently) then airmanship alone dictates it better to land at the other Rome airport a few miles away.

Under no circumstances are you going to get the two mistaken and accidently land at the wrong one. They are quite different in many fundamental repects.

Cheers

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th Feb 2005, 12:09
<<Northolt HD >>

Oh yes... No, I meant Heathrow! One actually landed, another broke off the ILS!!

In trim
17th Feb 2005, 14:30
There were a couple of occasions a few months ago where Ciampino was closed for a few hours per day on separate days (some visiting dignatary by the name of 'Bush' I believe), and easyJet simply re-planned to operate through FCO. This was planned and sold as such on the internet.

Not sure if this news story is related, but perhaps could explain why pax may have got caught out?

2port
17th Feb 2005, 15:56
"Allegedly" the station commander of a Wiltshire military base (is that enough clues?) once landed at the wrong Ankara airfield in Turkey. No, not a diversion, just a muck up. The rest of the crew took the blame, obviously!

2P

DeltaTango
19th Feb 2005, 21:13
A few years back, we had an Alitalia on Approach to Eilat (LLET) made a mistake and landed at Aqaba INTL' (OJAQ) in Jordan instead.....bit of a hassle for the PAX you can imagine.......

DT

Ignition Override
20th Feb 2005, 03:53
2port: that can't be possible!

After reading Pprune months ago, we all learned that this can only happen to the US Air Force when attempting a fly-by at an airshow......especially if the crew can be connected to the state of Texas, which is undoubtedly the source of original sin (according to numerous "holier than thou" types)! :eek:

innuendo
20th Feb 2005, 04:17
Over the years, there have been enough examples through out the industry that perhaps Glass Houses and Stones should be considered.:rolleyes:

jettesen
20th Feb 2005, 06:22
I operated as crew on that flight, and I knew before takeoff that we were going to FCO. Pax misunderstanding at other end. We did indeed take some pax home from FCO. ( the ones who got the right airport!!!) Nothing to do with easyJet landing at wrong airport

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Feb 2005, 07:17
<<After reading Pprune months ago, we all learned that this can only happen to the US Air Force when attempting a fly-by at an airshow>>

Hmmmm.. Quite obviously Ignition Override doesn't know the full facts.... in fact he doesn't know any!

BEagle
20th Feb 2005, 07:27
2port, it wasn't the wrong Ankara airport, it was the wrong Adana airport. Allegedly they landed at LTAF (Adana Sakirpasa) instead of LTAG, the military aerodrome at Adana Incirlik a few miles away.

The Stn Cdr in question did not try to shift the blame.

But perhaps much of the blame should go to the Ops and Air Movs people who insist on describing the destination as 'ADA' instead of using the correct name. Incirlik does not have an IATA indicator, just the ICAO indicator. So an itinerary LYE-ADA would indeed mean Lyneham to Sakirpasa, whereas EGDL-LTAG would clearly and unambiguously mean Lyneham to Incirlik. If the Ops/Movs people would stop using incorrect terms, the trap might perhaps be less easy to fall into.

Captain Airclues
20th Feb 2005, 07:52
So perhaps the title of this thread should be 'EasyJet passengers - wrong Rome airport check-in?'

Airclues

jetstream7
20th Feb 2005, 13:56
Airclues... looks like that's happened, which is fair enough as now the truth is known.

Must say thanks to who ever changed it before I got the chance to, and who didn't show the post as being edited....:confused:

Final 3 Greens
21st Feb 2005, 09:09
Last year, the same airline sent me an email proclaiming proudly that they were starting a new service to Ljubljana in Slovakia.

Unfortunately, Ljubljana is in Slovenia, which is rather further from Slovakia that FCO is from CIA.

If they can't get the country right ...........

2port
21st Feb 2005, 19:37
Beags

Don't want to hijack this post and start an us v them argument, you have a point there though.
BUT I'm sure it was Ankara. Confusion between Esenboga and Akinci I believe.
Can move this over to Mil thread for more facts, figures and innuendo....

2P