PDA

View Full Version : what happened to?

kimchitrader
9th Mar 2000, 15:40
I was wondering if anybody knew what happened to the Canadian pilot involved in the crash in Korea that involved the co-pilot taking control during landing and trying to go-around, or not as it turned out. When I was based in the land of the morning traffic jam there was all kinds of rumours, including that the embassy smuggled him out of the country

Don Patrol
9th Mar 2000, 18:51
Why do you ask?

kimchitrader
9th Mar 2000, 19:06
coz friends in the industry at the time said the govt was going to charge him with attempted manslaughter! and then fit him up (its been known in Korea). I used to hang out with a few of the KAL ex-pat skippers in the Seoul Pub and nobody knew what happened to him. I've tangled with the govt over a JV over there and it can get down and dirty. plus my interest was stoked by a friend sending me the KAL safety audit.

smith
10th Mar 2000, 01:19
The captain originally came from CP/Wardair. The last I heard was CALPA and the Embassy helped bail the guy out of jail for an outrageous amount of money but he later jumped the bail and returned to Vancouver. As far as I know, he never went back to Korea to stand trial. Post the same message on www.aeforum.com (http://www.aeforum.com) and you'll probably get some answers there by the Canucks.

18weeler
10th Mar 2000, 12:38
I heard he now works back at his canadian company, but they don't roster him for Seoul flights!

Reverend
12th Mar 2000, 07:21
Some is correct. He left Korea on a promise that he would come back to stand trial. I believe CALPA/ALPA bailed him out from Korea on a promise, no monies were exchanged.

He is from CP and he was an F/O on the 320 and snuck into KAL as a skipper (I think).
He is still at CP on the 320.

FYI, the F/O wanted to abort the landing during the flare and wanted to go-around after the wheels had touched down and applied max trust and the skip rejected (sort of) and thus the confuston and eating up lots of runway. The typhoon was 100 nm off the coast and it was windy and rainy and the F/O paniced.

I guess the Delta Audit Report revealed most of the problems. He should try flying into Torbay !!!

smith
13th Mar 2000, 03:17
Reverend, you are probably right for most part but CP didn't have any A320 at the time he left to join KE. The story I heard was from way back and it's only second hand info, so it is not 100% either. Anyway, this is my version of the story. He was a A310 captain from Wardair. Due to the merger with Pacific Western, CP Air, et. al. in order to form Canadian Airlines International, his seniority on the merged list was too low to hold a wide-body left seat. Like many upset Wardair pilots, he went overseas to join KE.

IMHO, I think my version of the story is truer than yours because in the past, KE would only hire type-rated captains with left seat experience. I believe A310 and A300-600 type-ratings are the same. As I said earlier, post a message over at www.aeforum.com (http://www.aeforum.com) and I am sure you will get a straight answer from the Canucks.

Kubota
13th Mar 2000, 04:11
Smith, you're more correct than the Rev., but CP DID have A320's at the time he left. Too low on the seniority with CP after the buyout to grandfather a LHS, and P/O'd with the taxes in Canada, he asked for (and received) a LOA from CP - as did many ex-WD drivers - and left for Korean. The A310/A300-600 share a common type rating, so with his former command experience with WD, he was able to be hired as a captain with Korean.

A good, experienced and knowledgeable operator, he nonetheless stood ZERO chance in a Korean court and did the right thing, and took a one-way tkt out (with a nod and a wink from Korean, I understand).

FYI, he is back in Canada, and has quit flying.

Ab Initio
13th Mar 2000, 09:45
While on the subject of 'what happened to...'

What's the recent news on the Chairman of KE?

A little while back he was found guilty of Korea's biggest tax evasion and sentenced to the slammer. I was just wondering if he is actually doing time or is it still "pending appeal"?

kimchitrader
13th Mar 2000, 14:22
re KAL chief, Cho Yang-ho. sentenced to 4-years in nick plus USD25m fine.Hanjin, the holding company renowned for this. Try asking them to see spread sheets on KAL in vain attempt to value the company! past masters at cross holdings. always have had close ties with the civil service (MOFE), the real power behind the throne, and main politicos. would be suprised if cho pulled the full-term, however, prez DJ seems to have become much harder on chaebol, taking advantage of asian meltdown. Hanjin has strong ties to the spooks. rumour was anything the needed to be flown on spook mission went by KAL. Daewoo Securities CEO recently slapped on wrists (only) for ramping share price during LG Semicon takeover. so don't hold yre breath.

Ab Initio
14th Mar 2000, 07:52
Thanks Kimchitrader
Re your spook comments, I know Korean Air Aerospace does (did?)a lot of maintainance for the Korean airforce, plus the odd U.S. airforce, plane at KAL's maintainance plant at Kimhae (Pusan). KAL Aerospace was also building F5E fighers and Blackhawk helicopters there.
But back to Mr Cho, is he actually inside now?

Reverend
14th Mar 2000, 18:06
Oops, I guess I was incorrect on the info. Thanks for clearing that up.

What was the name of the tread you started at WWW.aeforum.com (http://WWW.aeforum.com) ???

[This message has been edited by Reverend (edited 14 March 2000).]

smith
15th Mar 2000, 09:14
Rev:

I didn't start any thread over at aeforum.com. I was only suggesting Kimchi to post the question there.

kimchitrader
16th Mar 2000, 18:00
Ab Initio re: Cho of KAL. Mr Kim in Seoul tells me he is in the pokey. General feeling there is the usual horse trading going on. How much should he have to 'donate' to ruling party to atone for his shame and get on with screwing shareholders.

Thanx to everyone on the Canadian pilot. I remeber watching KBS footage at the time of the immediate aftermath, including reporter sticking boom mike into bloodstained face of captain after he exited the a/c. apparently they were there to film the approaching Typhoon--how they got onto the runway..?.and what was that concrete wall doing there.

Just out of interest we used to fly down to Ulsan a lot bearing gifts for the Hyundai boys. However, after one to many aircraft- carrier like landings, i decided to drive (only took three nights), anybody landed there--I'm sure its meant only for F16's.

smith
23rd Feb 2001, 03:52
This is old news but it's worth mentioning. I just found out today that Capt. Barry Woods, the captain of the ill-fated KE A300, died of cancer a few months ago. He was a CDN 767 F/O before his death. RIP