PDA

View Full Version : Newly qualified to Jet?

dynamite dean
16th Feb 2005, 20:27
Not a particularly new topic.
As a chap who is flying in Africa to get the money to convert SA license to a british one and probably jump back into the wannabies pool (again) I find it remarkable how folks get jobs on jets (and don't of course) with very low time....All that bulldust about in Human performance that the cockpit enviroment should be an "optimum" cockpit gradient ie an FO who doesn't have equal time as the captain or the other sticky one which is common these days high timed captains and very low timed FO - I am assuming the ryanair's etc etc..... Can someone educate me a little as how it all works in practise, and believe me folks if you've got 200hrs and a jet job comes along you don't tell em to stick it up your arse for the sake of pleasing aviation grandfathers who "did it the hard way"

But I would like to now from both a wannabie perspective and chaps out there who are actually doing the job no doubt better than I could.

Hell I flew with chaps with two hundred hours who you wouldn't trust with yer washing machine. And I dare say much expereince pilot's may have said the same about me...

Also for self interest .
In South Africa a view pervades rightly or wrongly that you need two hundred before you can fly a C210!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then can you only go onto the Duchess for several hundred hours light turbine twin turbine light jet heavy jet...I guess I been around with too many aviation historians!!!!

Yet in Europe I hear guys completely bypassing all of this and going straight to the top if that's what you want to fly.

Issues such as not flying for three months and longer getting an interview on a jet simulator how do you chaps who are fortunate to get that opportunity deal with this. I remember I went to Barclays a few years ago tried to convince them that borrowing **** loads a money have not much chance of paying anything back substanially of course they said YES! (joke of course) So what is happening out there these days here in Africa being out of the loop I have all these issues to face like the rest of the Fraternity but if there is any hope out there then it must be worth it eh?

goodluck to all of you who have spent **** loads of money!

Any thoughts and views much welcomed.:ok: