PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2000 - cannot send / receive

WG774
16th Feb 2005, 18:51
Hi,

Whilst trying to send an email via Outlook (not express) in WIN2K SP4, my internet connection went offline. Once I got reconnected I realised that I wasn’t able to send any email, only receive, but now I can’t even receive.

My solution was to configure Outlook Express to my account settings, but it too has the same problem.

Every time I try and send an email I get an 0x8000ccc0e error number with the SMTP server.

Not only that, but Outlook seems to have gone slightly kooky on me, and doesn’t always come up when I double click. On the occasions it wouldn’t come up I shut down, only to see a box appear stating Outlook was having trouble shutting down.

I don’t think this is spyware related, as I have a firewall and have configured my system to ask for permission to install exe (can you believe they ship win2k with this option off, so anyone can put an exe on you?)

Seeing as my pc has numerous other bugs that have accumulated over time, I’m thinking I should get a new HD (current one is slow) and gradually transfer over. However, as it’s a DELL laptop, I’m not sure how one would power the other drive simultaneously with a new internal drive? Wouldn’t I need some kind of external supply to power the old drive to transfer?

There’s no way I could get over all the info in one go, I would have to have access to the old drive, how can you do this?

Many sincere thanks in advance for any advice, I’m self-employed and don’t know what I’d do without email… Things are so desperate I’m thinking of going out and getting a new machine on HP, I need email that badly.

FJJP
16th Feb 2005, 20:10
First thing I would do is set up Outlook Express - download version 6 - and try that. At work I use Outlook for my diary, contacts and e-mails and would be lost without it. However, at home I use OE6 - it works fine. You can also change to a web-based e-mail like BT/Yahoo, where you work on a web page on Internet Explorer.

It's a bit drastic to change computers because of software problems. Don't you have a contact/friend/etc that could look at it for you? - it may something ridiculously simple, or a straightforward disk/system cleanup, defrag, something like that. I'm not an expert by any means, but that is the way I would approach the problems as a first step. Certainly the cheapest, and you can setup OE6 in a very short time because the settings you already have for Outlook - it is a case of transferring them across by hand.

If you get stuck in trying that, there are plenty of real [and friendly!] experts here on this site who will lend you a helping hand. Good luck!

FJJP

bonvol
16th Feb 2005, 20:23
As FJJP said you can use a web based email service to pick up you mail while you get the problem sorted. I use www.mail2web.com

No need for an account or anything. Just type in your email address and login to get your mail.

WG774
17th Feb 2005, 12:44
Thanks for the advice!

As if by magic, my email is working today. Having undergone major panic last night, I checked all my accounts settings... It was amusing to see that there were about 5 "clients" set up in my "account options" that I'd never heard of... And I wondered why I'd suddenly been getting spam...

I can't believe a company would release an OS onto the world that enabled the remote establishment of new email connections... The mind boggles, it really does...

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: