PDA

View Full Version : The best path to take ???

TenAndie
16th Feb 2005, 18:20
Im starting my ATPL ground school at EPTAUK in March then come October will have a dilemma.

1. Should i get my CPL then do my FI Rating and pay off a lower amount of money plus gain valuable hours for a couple of years, then do my IR and MCC when hopefully the price has come down further ??

Or

2. Just loan the full amount, get my CPL, IR, MCC and hope that i get a job ??

Im sure you guys on here have had the same dilemma at some point during your training.

Cheers in advance

:ok:

ultimatepro63
17th Feb 2005, 18:50
do number 2

because prices WILL not become lower

CAT3C AUTOLAND
17th Feb 2005, 21:03
Do both, when you have spent the best part of £40K, whats another five grand for you FI :D?

Joking aside, having the IR done and dusted will put you online for a job straight away.

TenAndie
18th Feb 2005, 10:06
The current job situation really worries me though, and the thought of borrowing an extra £10,000 is quite scary !! I see so many people on here who have the problem of low hours. Sure enough jobs do come up, but with more and more people getting their frozen ATPLs, the jobs are going to be few and far between. Plus Flight Instructing for a couple of years would appeal to me, as long as i can do enough flying to pay my loan :uhoh:

Its all Catch 22 !!!!!

rada76
19th Feb 2005, 13:37
Hello, Wish you all the best but get your CPL-ME-IR and MCC First.

Don't even start if you don't plan for the above. I have spoken to pilots looking for a job with the attitude of "when I get a job I'll get my IR and MCC!!!!!!!!!"

Airlines are reactive to the market place and when they require people they often require them NOW!

I know it's not cheap, but so do you, because you have got this far. Once you have your CPL-IR & MCC you become an available candidate. Yes you have to keep flying, as the first question in interviews is often "when did you last fly?" Send out CV's, lots of them. Spend hours on application forms and getting your information correct. Dear chief pilot is NOT acceptable.

If you can then afford it get your FI's licence. Remember though that the cost of the CPL-ME-IR in the brochure is LESS than it will cost you! Minimum time, 1st time passes and no living costs are in that brochure price!!!

Para Dropping, Glider tugging are other forms of increasing hours and being able to say "Yesterday" to the above interview question.

Take the plunge or don't start! Sorry to sound black and white but this true. I know I'm lucky. I have over 600 hours on turboprops flying a schedule/charters yet have <1000TT.

No I didn't instruct. Yes I saved my £5K from the FI course but I did spend time para dropping for almost nothing! It paid off. I'm still in debt but I accept that. I'm holding it level and hope to pay it off as my career develops.

For my personal advice: (please realise that everyone has different views :) )

Don't pay all your money up front! (Big companies have and do go bust!) If they can't accept regular (in credit payments of say £1000-2000 cheques at a time) then don't go there!

Be polite and friendly to EVERYONE you meet in flight training even if you have a genuine complaint. Complain by all means but there is no need to be rude (seen it done many times).

Network! and last but not least .............Never ever ever give up the dream!!!!! It will happen eventually.

Best regards,

RADA