View Full Version : Job security @ CX

middlepath
16th Jul 2001, 12:40
If someone from inside could shed some light on job security at CX would help the wanabes. There is on going recruitment at Cx but flight crew number did not cross 1300, is it due to high turnover?

The400Pilot
17th Jul 2001, 00:51
1 week the first year and 3 months after that! Need any more security, try a real airline! :D :D :D :D

IOS97
18th Jul 2001, 03:46
Hey Middlepath, there is no stability at CX and one needn't be a CX pilot to realize that. Just go to the CX website and click on Press Release to see their problems and how CX mgmt handles them. Saddam Hussein is more reasonable. Treat it as a 6 year Flight Training Program(S/O and F/O ). Upon completion you go to a more secure airline such as your Fatherland's Luftansa.
Besides, if you fail your medical or crash(and live) it is career over no matter which airline you are with. There are no guarantees in aviation. It is a risky business littered with career ending pit falls. But it makes it more interesting. Just to reinforce the fact that CX has no security consider the fact that CX has no pension, unlike United Airlines or Luftansa.

Apollo13
18th Jul 2001, 07:57
You may not get a pension but you get a massive provident fund - over HKD10m in one recent case...

jtr
18th Jul 2001, 08:33
Apollo, do you work for TT? Yes someone did get a $10 mill payout, however, he had been an a scale captain for the last 15 odd years. As the commpany is planning on never having any b-scaler made into a-scale, this sized payout will soon be a thing of the past.

[ 18 July 2001: Message edited by: jtr ]

Flap 5
19th Jul 2001, 15:21
middlepath,

A bit of a silly question wasn't it? - Considering the present environment in Cathay.

BlunderBus
20th Jul 2001, 03:43
There is a VERY powerful message here from CX management to all future aircrew wannabes at CX. You must absorb all the shortcomings in rostering and pattern abuse and tow the company line without complaint(be it a legit one or not)or face INSTANT dismissal without warning or due process with NO appeal.Many of the 49 recently fired were done so by fax,overseas on a flight pattern and immediately locked out from all company premises with no access to the fleet offices to even discuss matters!One guy was handed a LAX-SYD economy ticket in the Los Angeles hotel by Tom Wright(manager USA) at 2.00a.m. after a call from CX crew control a few minutes earlier!....go home...don't come back. Random sackings to teach everyone a lesson...well it sure has..if you expect any kind of a career...look elsewhere...s/o's...fine but one day you'll have a family to answer to and your flying life will be half over....then what....????
i'd give that some SERIOUS thought if i were you....

Turtlenest
23rd Jul 2001, 21:36
For any US based Cathay pilots, the FAA has a safety hotline 800-255-1111, #5, to report safety problems (such as being forced to fly when sick or face termination and loss of pension). The department of labor also protects foreign workers based in the U.S. Get their number from the web at dol.gov, I think. :(

kunal123
26th Jul 2001, 19:38
I got insiders thru some cabin crew....
Pilots are so scared for their jobs now,they are even flying and busting min rest time.
But good hope for SFOs i say ..get your type rating and run back to ur home country. :p

neutral
27th Jul 2001, 01:08
don't think your information is quite accurate. I hardly think that with the huge amount of support the AOA is getting from their members, and with the notable lack of support the new management proposal is getting (i.e., sign or be sacked), pilots are afraid for their jobs. By the way, Cathay management has admitted to the press that they are not getting a good response.

You also might want to remember that they have also recently stated to the press that their will be no more sackings. (They wouldn't lie, would they?)

Check your sources before you post drivel.

Chimbu chuckles
27th Jul 2001, 21:15
Tea/Coffee,
I don't fly for CX but have a bunch of mates who do so for your info,

1/. As a Second Officer you won't be given a type rating(P2X time only) so there won't be any racing home with your shinny new rating.
2/. The guys I've spoken to are generally upbeat about the future.They think this debacle will be sorted to most peoples satisfaction.
3/. The guys that were sacked were those with a 'record' on file. Chaps who made an issue of various things like not loading the pax prematurely when there was a significant delay so as not to cause discomfort to said pax.......pretty pathetic really if thats all it takes to lose favour with the boss.
4/. Apparently 'management' wanted to sack 150 but crewing said 'please no!'
5/. The attitude that I have heard expressed about the prospect of new joiners is, "please stay away until we sort this out". If you join before you will never be accepted into the AOA. Given that in any big airline it is not difficult to 'cross a line' and end up in the poo without even knowing there was a line in the first place do you really want to be without representation/back-up.
6/. I grew up about as anti union as an individual can be but after 16 odd years working in this industry and several employers(including a National Flag carrier) and having seen pilots sacked for no good reason or for doing exactly the right,legal and professional thing I would suggest to you be very careful about putting yourself in the invidious position of working for a company with anti-pilot management and no union back-up.

The tone of your posts on this subject suggest to me your a wannabe with no scruples about climbing over the backs of your peers to get ahead......if so enjoy the next thirty+ years as an outcast, always on the periphery of your peer group looking in and wishing you could be 'one of the boys' as well.

[ 27 July 2001: Message edited by: Chimbu chuckles ]

PeterZee
28th Jul 2001, 02:16
Chimbu,

This topic has been covered at length in the "scab list" thread, but I wished to ask: do you claim that your opinions are the AOA's official position on this matter? If so, what exactly is your position in the AOA to give you this authority?

I have emailed the AOA twice, to request exactly that, their official position on this matter, that of prospective applicants interviewing/hiring during the current dispute.

So far I have received zero communication from them. While I appreciate the imput from anonymous forum members, I think it is only reasonable and professional for the AOA to make clear how they would like applicants to proceed. Ominous threats about being ostracized, etc, are only seen as expressions of an admittedly emotional issue.

neutral
28th Jul 2001, 02:59
PZ, the AOA at present is SWAMPED with the huge task of organizing the flood of rejection letters coming from all over the world from their members. Please remember they are operating on a management imposed deadline of the 31st. I am quite certain they will respond when they can come up for air.

Chimbu chuckles
28th Jul 2001, 07:21
PeterZee,
Read my previous post again with a little more comprehension and you will see that the opinions I have posted are those expressed to me by people employed at CX and my own based on having worked in an Airline with similar management practices and in a country with similar industrial laws for expats.
The question of my position in AOA is adequately answered by the first paragraph.
I must admit I thought things were going pear shaped in this dispute but having spoken to some inside I feel they are doing things as well as can be expected.
Those of you so keen to prostitute yourselves think about this. If your bosses wound back your terms and conditions continually and then sacked 52 of your work mates for frivolous reasons wouldn't you be extra careful at work to ensure you did things absolutely by the book to ensure you didn't get the sack as well?

Chuck.

PS. Oh by the way, I don't post anonymously.

PeterZee
29th Jul 2001, 02:14
Chimbu,

My apologies for missing your comment about not working for CX. That fact only helps to make my point, that you are not an official representative of the AOA.

The point of my original post was this: in spite of the incredible activity level I'm sure is taking place these days at the AOA, surely they have a. drafted a position on this matter? b. have the time to make it clear to those affected?

As you can probably appreciate, this is not a decision to made lightly, and as such, I would only accept an official position as expressed by the leadership of the AOA. NOT anecdotal third-hand information from individual members or friends-of-members.

Believe it or not, I don't really make a lot of big decisions based on what I read on PPRune... ;)

Regards....

[ 28 July 2001: Message edited by: PeterZee ]

Chimbu chuckles
29th Jul 2001, 05:24
REALLY!!!..........BUGGER!!!!!

:D :D :D

Chuckles.

SOPS
30th Jul 2001, 02:27
All of this is not sounding good