PDA

View Full Version : Dr Carlo Kopp head hunted by ADF??

alphaball
16th Feb 2005, 11:33
It appears that Dr Carlo Kopp will no longer be contributing to Australian Aviation.

Rumour has it that Capability Sytems, NACC or DMO have finally realised the outstanding contribution Doctor Kopp could make and given him an appropriate position.

Any thoughts on what position he could fulfil.........???

Jackonicko
16th Feb 2005, 13:24
Even after yesterday's verdict in the McLibel case you don't get me that easily.

I'm sure that 'Australian Aviation' Magazine's 'loss' or 'gain' will be the Ministry's 'gain' or 'loss' depending on your assessment of Carlo's abilities.

Magoodotcom
16th Feb 2005, 21:31
Carlo's contribution to the magazine and the overall Australian defence debate over the years has been outstanding. The decision to leave the magazine was merely a mutual parting of the ways.

Magoo

L J R
16th Feb 2005, 22:03
I am yet to read anything 'new' from him, most of it was just creative spotting, explaing bits to the punters and 'nice' graphic artwork. Although he did appear to push the occasional wheel barrow - albeit from a slightly mis-informed perspective.

Good on him for pulling the wool over ADF's face if he gets a job with them.

alphaball
17th Feb 2005, 09:43
This was intended as a serious post......

Mr Jackonicko,
As one of Dr Kopp's fellow military aviation academic / journalist I am surprised. Windup?? Many Englishmen confuse antipodean sincerity for colonial sarcasm. Your comments show a disregard for the esteem in which Dr Kopp is held.

Mr Magoo,
Bravo........well put.

LJR,
You dissapoint me.

The "mutual parting" of AA and Dr Kopp will affect many.

'Per ardua ad veritas'

Jackonicko
17th Feb 2005, 10:37
I've never shared the esteem which you (and especially Dr Kopp) seem to have for Dr Kopp, and I've never understood how or why he should be quite so revered.

I've enjoyed some of what he's written, and laughed at other things. He's good, but he's not that good.

Call it envy from a lesser journo, or a whinging and embittered Pom, if that makes it easier.

:}

jindabyne
17th Feb 2005, 17:00
alphaball

I encountered Carlo Kopp on many occasions in a professional capacity whilst working in Canberra. He is undoubtedly highly intelligent and has an depth knowledge of military aviation vehicles; but his views, both spoken and written, were always self-centred, highly selective and overly based on technical evidence. Pragmatism and the bigger picture were not in his vocabulary, and if his utterly US bias was not shared, there was no further debate. That said, DoD (especially Capability) is steeped in a plethora of network centric gobbldeygook, and recruitment of Carlo might be seen as a rich prize in that respect. Maybe he's being hired to explain subtly why Wedgetail will not live up to expectations.

So I share LJR's view that Carlo is nothing more than a highly qualified technical commentator with a shallow perspective on political, strategic and tactical issues. Any rumoured recruitment into DoD circles would surely be regarded by the Australian military fraternity as a joke? C'mon Norm, tell us it's not true!!

And far from affecting many, the only enduring affect of his departure from AA will be on Jim's pocket.

No sarcasm intended alphaball - and please try to resist any further and tiresome OzPom comment.

(PS: It's the grin that used to worry me)

antipodean alligator
18th Feb 2005, 09:12
I'm sure that 80% the RAAF's Hornet Pilots would have instant coronary's upon reading this thread!

Interesting concept though........... I look forward to my EF-111 Conversion or perhaps joining the new Dale Brownesque project to add APG-80, Meteor, Armiger and an anti-ICBM laser as well as a new plasma LO shield to the venerable Piggie whilst extending life of type out to 2055!!

Ex Douglas Driver
21st Feb 2005, 07:27
Only 80%? You'd be selling Dr Copp BE(hons), MSc, PhD, MIEEE, MAIAA, PEng short with an under-estimate like that.

I personally think the the F-111 missileer concept has merit.... a few sheet metal changes, a couple of simple software updates, new engines and you've got a highly agile, supercruising air dominance fighter that will grand slam its way around the world for the next 119 years. Crikey, we could even sell it back to the USAF.

Bwa haa ha ha
:8

(Does that mean we'd have to call him Sir?)