PDA

View Full Version : Haunted hotel at Heathrow ?

jameseyre1
16th Feb 2005, 08:38
Can anyone shed any light on this?

A mate was trying to tell me that a hotel at LHR (Renaissance?) was haunted??? Apparently, it was built on the site of a crash...

Can someone help me win a bet?!

phoenix son
16th Feb 2005, 09:08
depends what the bet is really...How do you prove somewhere is haunted? Depends what you believe in really I guess?

SLFguy
16th Feb 2005, 09:20
You don't have a ghost of a chance of winning....

I'll get me coat...

No comment
16th Feb 2005, 10:39
Thats the spirit!......

homesick rae
16th Feb 2005, 11:33
Always recall that the George at MME was haunted. Apparently by a WWII pilot!? Lots of bumps in the night and I always ended up with the girlies staying in my room!:O

Cheers

HR

satumare
16th Feb 2005, 11:56
Probably you might want to ask for the next LOTTO results if the chap turns up.Never think meeting up with ghost as a downside.PM me with the number too!!!!:ok:

pax britanica
16th Feb 2005, 13:06
Hi

Do not know if this helps but I grew up adjacent to LHR in the late 50s through 60s. As I recall there was never a crash outside the airfield boundary on the north side where all the hotels are located along the A4.

However one of the hotels-its current name escapes me as I no longer live around there but it used to be called the Aerial. It is ( was -- cos it might have ben renovated or extended) a disctinctive circular shape. As far as I knowit was built on the site of a very old pub frequented by travellers and gentlemen of the road in the days when LHR was Hounslow Heath and a stagecoach wasnt a dodgy bus company.

I cannot rememeber the name of the pub but given its reputation and the murky past of that area as a haunt for highwaymen , footpads and other 18th century exotic criminals I think its quite likely that theres a haunting legend associated with it

PB

fourplay
16th Feb 2005, 20:42
QUOTE: Always recall that the George at MME was haunted. Apparently by a WWII pilot!? Lots of bumps in the night and I always ended up with the girlies staying in my room! :UNQUOTE

Don't call me a girly, it was once and I was scared!

:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

The African Dude
16th Feb 2005, 20:53
Innnnteresting.....

it used to be called the Aerial. It is ( was -- cos it might have ben renovated or extended) a disctinctive circular shape.
Think that would be the Travel Inn Aerial - on Harlington Corner. Still the same shape although it might have replaced an older one of the same design; I don't think there's another hotel like it in the area now.

Edit: just realised how hotel-spotter-ish that sounded, sorry!

And who says the area isn't still a place for highwaymen and the like? :} :{

leonbrumsack
16th Feb 2005, 21:00
Not wishing to be pedantic, but the Ariel at Harlington Corner, Bath Road, is actually a Holiday Inn...

Doors to Automatic
16th Feb 2005, 22:09
LHR is renowned to have a few ghosts. I read a chapter in a book once a long time ago and have a few faint memories - perhaps someone can enlighten:

There was a plane full of horses that crashed near 27R on the site of T1 shortly after the airport opened - can't remember exact details but apparently there are some ghosts associated with that.

There is also a ghost in one of the central car parks and a chap in a pin-striped suit and bowler hat has been seen on 27R.

More recently however I read a story about a motorist who was driving East down a deserted M4 late one night near the LHR junction and saw a figure of a woman in white standing in the middle lane. The motorist woke up her boyfriend who was asleep and didn't see anything and then turned off got, back onto the Motorway and went the other way. This time they both saw the figure. They turned around again at LHR and headed back towards London by which time the figure had vanished. This event occured in 1994.

Unwell_Raptor
16th Feb 2005, 22:36
The Ariel was the first dedicated airport hotel.

It used to be haunted by the ghost of a stewardess who lost her virginity there, but that idea became so implausible that nobody even believes in the ghost any more.

hottowel
17th Feb 2005, 00:40
Blackwell Grange in MME is also haunted by the dreaded Tartan Lady ( and NO not a lost ex Calidonean Purser)... Oh well....

Nowt anything to do with LHR though I did stay in the aerial... didnt it belong to Posthouse once.... thats the only circular hotel I can think of there.... Oh then there's that god awful place near Hounslow with the castle turrets that should be ashamed to call it a chain (is it Jarvis???). What a vile place and so glad I am up in nice old Leeds now!!!

Cheers Hottowel xx

AVIACO
17th Feb 2005, 08:36
The Renaissance on the Bath Road, formerly the Ramada, and before that the Penta.

I stay in it all the time, due to the fabulous views across the runway.

I have never heard about it being haunted, but the hotel was famously in the news years ago when a BA 747 nearly landed on top of it, when the crew mistook the Bath Road for Runway 27 in very bad weather conditions.

That's the only gossip I have about the place.

Kestrel_909
17th Feb 2005, 08:55
I thought I read something on here in recent years about an Indian pilot killing himself one of the hotels around Heathrow and now haunts the place, or maybe it was the hotel was haunted and he was driven to killing himself during the night?:confused:
Tried a quick search but no returns.

I've heard similar stories as Doors says above. Infact father told me one once from his younger years and driving the company mini-bus with a few one night and they all swore they saw a ghostly figure of a man in the middle of the road on a bike. Maybe it was the Hovis bread man?:E

CruisingSpeed
17th Feb 2005, 09:20
Suggest you dive into the spinning mill of any Cathay Cabin for a complete run-down on which crew hotels and even which particular roomnumbers are haunted... :E

WindSheer
17th Feb 2005, 09:33
Talking of Hauntings, I have always fancied reading that book about the haunted airliner. I believe it was a Tristar or something.

Anyone remember the name??

2daddies
17th Feb 2005, 11:14
WindSheer,
"The Ghost of Flight 401".

Written by John G. Fuller.

Published by Corgi Books.

It concerns the crash of an Eastern Airlines (USA) L-1011 in the Florida Everglades in 1972 and subsequent reports from EA cockpit and cabin-crew on the company's remaining Tristars. They lay claim to ghostly sightings of, in particular, the crashed aeroplane's Flight Engineer and Captain.

Very interesting reading but only in broad daylight and when surrounded by lots of people!

WindSheer
17th Feb 2005, 12:41
Thanks a lot, I have been searching for that bloody thing for ages.

:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

WHBM
17th Feb 2005, 12:56
There was a plane full of horses that crashed near 27R on the site of T1This would be the accident with a BKS Airspeed Ambassador in 1968, which left 27R (now 28R) and scythed the tails off a couple of BEA Tridents standing at T1. Six fatalities but they were lucky no one was in the Tridents.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19680703-0

A mate was trying to tell me that a hotel at LHR (Renaissance?) was haunted??? Apparently, it was built on the site of a crash...If not on site it must be right next to where a BEA Vanguard was lost in 1963. The Ren is the only hotel on the airport side of the A4.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19651027-0

A300Man-2005
17th Feb 2005, 13:35
2daddies,

That book was actually made into a movie, and you are correct - the ghostly face of the flight engineer in particular, would appear on oven doors and galley carts in reflection. It was quite a spooky movie.

mr Q
17th Feb 2005, 13:59
Was this the haunting that accompanied the salvaged parts of the crash aircraft that were used on other Company aircraft ?

verticalhold
17th Feb 2005, 14:04
The George at MME was the oficers mess when Meteor night fighters were based there in the 1950s. The ghost is apparently that of one young ace who lost it on landing and went straight through the mess, ending up in his own bedroom. He survived the crash and had his neck broken by falling masonry whilst escaping from the wreckage.

A300Man-2005
17th Feb 2005, 14:28
mr Q

Yes, correct. The salvaged parts of the old aircraft that were cannibalised into make-do components of the still-flying fleet were the areas where the spooky images used to appear.

ShyTorque
17th Feb 2005, 15:33
"The accident at RAF Middleton St George occurred when a Meteor 4 hit the inside face of the west wing whilst
attempting to perform a roller landing on one engine in 1951. I was under jet pilot training at Middleton at the
time, I witnessed the accident and was one of the first on the scene. Also, I was interviewed by the subsequent
Board of inquiry as I had flown the aircraft involved just before the prang. It would appear that the accident
has developed a bit of a myth status over the years!

As far as my memory serves me, it was one Flg Off Norman who was attempting the asymmetric roller, a maneuver
impossible for aerodynamic reasons which I won't go into here. However, I was in the crewroom in the most westerly
hangar when the Meteor went past the window on the ground with full power on one engine. There was just room for
a Meteor to pass between the tennis court and a bulk fuel installation - he managed it! There was one car parked
outside the front of the Officers' Mess - Flg Off Norman's! He still seemed to be trying to get airborne when he
hit the car and catapulted into the wing of the mess.

The tail broke off and came to rest by the Ladies Room window. The nose of the aircraft crashed through the wall of
the mess and a large lump of masonry fell on the pilot and killed him. There were two small explosions as the oxygen
bottles fractured. He might well have been killed by the impact before the masonry fell on him."

Put forward as an eye-witness acount of the accident, by retired RAF pilot Victor Dabin. With respect and acknowledgement to the Cleveland Aviation Society:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/phillip.charlton/teesside.html

Allegedly room 62 in the west wing is the one to avoid....... Something, possibly Flying Officer Norman's apparition, will come and sit on your bed. Or on YOU if you happen to be in it...... :uhoh:

Aha, just found something else! Try this for a laugh :E

http://members.aol.com/barneyconcannon/articles.htm

urdy gurdy
17th Feb 2005, 22:19
apparently theres a ghost of a guy on one of the runways at LHR.
he was killed in a crash and whilst rescue workers were sifting through the wreckage the ghost of this guy approached one of them asking if they had seen his breifcase
he is still seen wandering around the edge of the runway looking around to see if he can find it

i just been at the george at mme room 49 on the ground floor
i think room 62 is just upstairs roughly above where i was never heard anything but was strangely woken sveral times thru the night

Kestrel_909
17th Feb 2005, 22:54
Just pasted the story about the man at LHR to some friends and now both going on about ghosts they've seen.

One used to work at T2, said this
''I was on the early shift and was on the apron beside a flight bound for Rome, when as I walked towards the rear of the aircraft i saw what looked like a man in a suit walking along, with his head turning side to side. i thought it was like a lost passenger or something and I turned to the gate to tell my collegue to radio security and when I looked back he was gone."

Unwell_Raptor
17th Feb 2005, 23:00
"i saw what looked like a man in a suit walking along, with his head turning side to side. i thought it was like a lost passenger or something and I turned to the gate to tell my collegue to radio security and when I looked back he was gone."

In today's LHR he was either an illegal immigrant or a drug smuggler.

White Hart
18th Feb 2005, 07:23
Gate 15 in Terminal 3 is also supposed to be haunted. Something to do with a person who once worked in the Airport Fire Service, and was based in an office located below the Gate.

Personally, I reckon the Terminal 3 public catering facilities are very haunted - I go in there, and, right before my very eyes, all my money just suddenly vanishes from my wallet,;)

verticalhold
18th Feb 2005, 07:29
ShyTorque;

Nice to find someone with the accurate info on this one. My Grandfather (ex night fighters of an earlier era) told me bits of the story when we were staying there in the early seventies. I've stayed there many times since but never seen or felt anything.

VH

HZ123
18th Feb 2005, 08:31
There are any number of ghosts around any airport and in particular within British Airways. Often any senior manager can be refered too as such, as lots of their staff have never seen them. In fact a number of the male SM's are fondly titled Lord Lucan making very few appearances with the exception of the 'First class' seat syndrome.

It is not these ghosts that will harm you ?

urdy gurdy
18th Feb 2005, 21:17
well at ncl there is a ghost in what was gate 13
it was then changed to the old BA lounge
and now i think its gate 17
you have bins banging etc never seen anything though

also last year i was outside gate 1( which is very rarely used)
its an SB lounge, the door was open and i heard a noise sounding like 2 people getting it on, at the time PC Deli - bag was walking past so i told him.
he went in, the lights went on and there was no one there
spooky!!

SkySista
19th Feb 2005, 07:05
Oooh yes, saw that movie when I was about 10. Scared the heck out of me it did. Wouldn't go near the oven for a month! :sad:

Do recall something about the parts being re-used. Am i imagining things, or in that movie, was the Capt. in the avionics bay looking out of the wheel well when they crashed? Geez time plays funny tricks on the memory.

I do remember though, that they showed a part where the Captain appeared in the oven door and told the stewardess they would have a fire - and they did! Spooky! Wonder if that really happened, or was that part for "drama"?

Sky

Eddy
18th Mar 2005, 12:47
There wasn't actually a crash there - more a VERY near miss. Forgotten the exact story but I believe it was a BA 747 on approach that almost - ALMOST - landed on the roof of the Renn.

Oscar.Francois
20th Mar 2005, 19:03
A friend of mine had a flight to London and insisted the room that she was resting in was rather strange. She turned on the TV to keep her company before she went to bed. Apparently before she fell asleep she heard a giggle followed by someone's laughter from the TV and the channel was CNN...

shoegal
21st Mar 2005, 19:54
whilst we are on newcastle the holiday inn at seaton burn is haunted room 242.some mates did a ouja board in there and were on it all night.the room was full of spooks.

FormerFlyer
21st Mar 2005, 21:19
Oh I remember doing a ouija board in LPL when nightstopping with EZY many moons ago.

First time ever that 3 of us had done one - many weird things happened but I'm still not convinced! We were up all night then too, and all refused to sleep alone the next day!

cheers ;)
FF

shoegal
22nd Mar 2005, 20:45
i bet you left the light on too!!:)

Too Short
24th Mar 2005, 09:48
Hey Skysista, I remember the film too. I watched it when I was a young girl and it scared the wotsits out of me as well - I laughed when you mentioned the oven door because that's one of the bits I remember most! I also remember the bit where a pax looks out of the aircraft window in the dark and sees the Captain's face reflected in it as if he's sat next to her and when she turns to look there's no-one there. :ooh:

And you are right - the ghost appeared on planes which had replaced parts used from the crashed aircraft and the capt did go and take a look out of the wheel well to be faced with the swamp! Jeez, I know far too much about this! Probably 'cos I watched it about 4 times! :D

TS