PDA

View Full Version : JAA training and FAA licence

Farrell
15th Feb 2005, 19:57
Hello folks

As some of you already know, I have a slight eye problem that is causing me at this stage more administrative trouble than anything but I need to check it out with you.

I've posted a few times about the eye problem (amblyopia) in the medical section and as a result have managed to get to this point now (special thanks to FlyinDutch for his help! ;) )

So, here's the situation I'm in now. I am starting my PPL at a JAA approved school in two weeks time.
My French JAA Class 2 medical has been submitted for a 'deviation" but being France, it'll take about two months for it to be processed, however the doc says that I have a 99% chance of it being approved.

Now, because I intend to do further training in the US, and will probably go the FAA route in the end, I have an FAA First Class medical due to be issued with a SODA which means that I can do the PPL training while my JAA medical is being processed.

OK.......sorry about the long-windedness, but here's the question.
If and, it's a big if, the JAA Class 2 is declined......I will have, 45 hours of JAA approved training with JAA exams.

So....with my FAA medical, what do I need to convert this to an FAA PPL. (Remember that if the JAA medical is not issued, then I wil have no licence - just hours of training in my logbook!)

Do I have to start all over again, or do I just need to do the FAA exams and a flight test?

Thanks guys!

Wayne :ok:

Tinstaafl
15th Feb 2005, 20:20
Your flying hours will count towards FAA licences but your JAR theory exams will not. They won't count for nothing since the knowledge you gained studying for them will help with your FAA exam study although you'll have to learn many rules, regs & procedures afresh.

As I recall you'll also have to do a minimum of 3 hours with an FAA instructor to be recommended for the flight test. You'll also have to ensure that you meet the FAR min. experience requirements for the FAA licence.

Farrell
15th Feb 2005, 20:24
Thanks!

This forum saves huge amounts of time trawling through FAA and JAA websites.

Wayne :ok:

Keygrip
15th Feb 2005, 20:28
The hours flown as training will count towards an FAA only licence PROVIDED they are either;

Flown with an FAA rated flying instructor if within Federal airspace, or

Flown OUTSIDE Federal airpsace if flown with a JAA only rated instructor.

I'm guessing you'll be in Federal airspace and with an FAA rated flying instructor - but for ****'s sake PERSONALLY CHECK the individual licence of whichever flying instructor your chosen school puts you with.

DON'T just take the schools word for it that the instructor is rated in whatever flavour you need them to be.

Farrell
15th Feb 2005, 20:39
I'll check it as soon as I get there.

Thanks for that! ;)

Tinstaafl
15th Feb 2005, 21:18
Good point, Keygrip.