PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco/Travis AFB advice needed

gijoe
15th Feb 2005, 16:11
Anyone got any experience of staying at USAF/USN places (Travis AFB??) whilst in and around the San Francisco/California area??

Does the magic little stripey card help anywhere?

I've got one night to lose when travelling back from a skiing trip at Lake Tahoe to fit in with flights.

G

Sarahs
15th Feb 2005, 18:21
gijoe

I stayed at TAFB in 2000 for the first and last two days of an Exped to Yosemite National Park.

We stayed in Transit rooms for those three nights. We had a room each which actually had a double bed and a sofa/double bed, so could actually sleep four. It had a built in kitchen and walkin wardrobes. And as for the shower, well, you could have a party in it........ There are plenty of "eat" areas and safe places to run round the Base.

I am sure that for service personnel you got a good discount (the rooms were very reasonable anyway).

San Fran, is also a must if you have time. Just to walk around Fishermans Walk to soak up the atmosphere is a must. I made the big mistake of just sitting on the beach drinking with mates, and not looking around!

Hope you get there and enjoy!

sarahs

Tarnished
15th Feb 2005, 18:53
gijoe

Try this link

http://public.travis.amc.af.mil/public/contacts.asp

or call Lodging on (707) 424 8000

If the stripey card is a Brit armed forces ID then you are quids in (I don't recall it being stripey when I had one). They will undoubtedly ask you if you are on Travel "Orders" which unless you can get your boss to concoct some reason you are technically not on. You are simply asking for space available, which there usually is, but they can't confirm it until the day before usually. I travelled extensively with my family and was never disappointed.

For San Fran itself there (is?) was a Navy Base Allemeda (sp?) which was much closer to down down, might be worth trying there. Navy rooms were not a nice as Air Force rooms though

Best of luck

T

Magic Mushroom
15th Feb 2005, 21:09
GiJoe,
Once had about 18 hrs at Travis RTB from Oz. We arrived at about 1600 and stayed in the normal Holiday Inn/Best Western place just outside Travis AFB. If you want to see San Francisco and there are about 8 of you, the hotel manager recommended the cheapest way to do it was to jire a limo!!! This we duely checked and he was correct!!

Next morning at 0700 we were picked up in a monster white caddi and the driver's (Tim I seem to remember his name was) brief was that he had '8 hrs to show us Frisco!!' The driver did a superb job. It took about 45 mins to get into the city and he simply dropped us at various places (Chinatown, Fisherwmans Walk, Pier 47(?), Golden Gate Bridge etc) and told us where he'd pick us up once we'd explored that particular place. The only place we didn't have time for was Alcatraz. He then took us to a superb place overlooking the Bay for lunch before whisking us back to the hotel in time for some safety zzz's, a shower and wheels at 1800!!!

Such a rapid tour could never do the place justice, but if you're tight on time I can heartily recommend the limo option!!!
Enjoy!!
M2:ok:

kokpit
15th Feb 2005, 21:18
Just recently spent a few nights at the Army base in Dublin, just to the east of the bay area.

Rooms were best of 3 bases we stopped at on a trip up the California Coast.

BART station is right outside the main gates, 45 mins and $8 to Fishermans Wharf area of San Fran. If you want to drive it, it's about 20 - 30 mins to the same area.

Need any more info PM me.

Regards,

Kokpit.

ihoharv
16th Feb 2005, 06:51
if you're heading back from Tahoe, you'll overshoot Travis by about 90mins to get to SF. Probably not worth it for a night, unless you're a serious party hound.

If you are, point yourself at the North Beach neighborhood - adjacent to Fishermans Wharf and not quite so tacky. Great bars and restaurants in SF' "Italian Quarter".

Alameda NAS is gone.

But seriously, for just one night, consider an extra day on the slopes...

BEagle
16th Feb 2005, 06:57
Or, of course, it's fun to stay...

...at the Y M C A..!!

And I'm sure that there would be a particularly warm welcome for you in San Francisco....?

Sorry!

:E

maxburner
16th Feb 2005, 11:02
Travis was welcoming and if you have a NATO travel order it's easy to get a room.

Sam Fran is a great city, one of the nicest in the US in my opinion. Great restaurants and lots to do around the waterfront. Alactraz is also worth a cruise around, although I've nevver set foot on the island.

An alternative to the city is the Nappa Valley. A good day out, but get someone else to drive so you can enjoy the wine tastings.

Enjoy.

PlasticCabDriver
16th Feb 2005, 15:12
There is a US Marines Memorial Club right in the middle of San Francisco, quite close to Union Square (IIRC). Much more like a hotel than, say, the UJ club in London, very comfortable, decent prices and extremely friendly to UK servicemen. There is bar on the top floor with an outstanding view of the city, you will be lucky to be allowed to buy yourself a drink.

The BX at Travis is worth a stop, but I would press on and enjoy SF for a night, as long as you don't smoke of course, I believe that's a hanging offence in California now!

ORAC
16th Feb 2005, 15:22
Agree with the above, get a NATO travel order, then give them a ring. Probably won´t comit to a booking, Space A (Available) more than 24 hours in advance. Contact details here (http://spacea.info/).

gijoe
16th Feb 2005, 21:43
Thanks for all the replies - I suggested the YMCA to gijoe jnr...but he just didn't get it. Before his time methinks.

Thanks again all for the great help.

G :ok:

L J R
16th Feb 2005, 22:11
In the good ol' days we stayed at the Presidio. Fantastic rooms & location. BUT Being an Army base - you had to get used to the 0700 cannon going off out front of SHQ.

SF also had a small navy spot right next to the Pier complex. It too has been sold - 1994 ish.

Charlie Luncher
16th Feb 2005, 23:40
Lake Tahoe as a cool mock Brit pub on the CA side of the town and the Virgin reps are good for a sniff.

They will only commit to a room on the day you turn up if avail, the lodges are not that cheap and you could prob get a better deal in SF with a bit of mil discount.
Remember to wear ribbons in your hair:sad:

Charlie sends

Oggin Aviator
17th Feb 2005, 06:18
These days most Space A accom places wait until 1800 before allowing you a room. Travis infers on its website (http://public.travis.amc.af.mil/space_a/amc76.htm) that you can make reservations - I just called them to check but they weren't answering. (I'll be using their services in April hence the vested interest.)

Which resort in Tahoe are you going to? I can recommend Heavenly and Squaw, both awesome but expensive, compared to say, Mount Rose. Recently (in the last month) all the resorts have had a sh*tload of snow, bases up to about 20m at the moment. Its a great time to come to the NV/CA border! Have fun.

Oggin

Scud-U-Like
17th Feb 2005, 09:07
I can confirm SF is a very Gay-friendly City. The USAF are also very accommodating, as I once found out when getting better acquainted with a certain USAF Maj. I did get to take in some other attractions too...

gijoe
17th Feb 2005, 12:24
Me + jnr are staying at the Ridge, Lake Tahoe to work on jnr's parallel turns and hockeys stops.

20m base sounds just about right.

G