PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of FAA Cert to...what?

ProfessorFate
15th Feb 2005, 15:15
I'm thinking about putting on those ol' gypsy shoes and seeing a bit more of the world. I'm currently flying a multi-engine medical helicopter in the States.

I've got an FAA Commercial with Instrument and a CFI. What license(s) do I need to work in:
the UK
Ireland
New Zealand

...and how do I get the licensing?

And please don't tell me it can't be done. They told me that about becoming a professional helicopter pilot without joining the military - yet here I am with two turbines under my left hand and patients in the back.

Thanks in advance for the help.

ATPMBA
15th Feb 2005, 16:28
Do you have $80,000 to burn? You will appreciate the FAA after you read below.

I’m involved in converting an FAA Comm and Inst to the UK JAA ATPL(H).

You need to go through an ATPL ground school, either distance or in person. The amount of hours needed for conversion are spelled out and it looks like 30 for the Comm, 9 for a turbine transition (AS355) and 40 for the Instrument. One school’s approach for the IR is to fly 25 hours in an R22 and 15 in the AS355. In the UK you need a real IR machine for the IR test.

On the upside, the UK ATPL(H) is valid through out EU nations and is accepted in many other nations. With the declining value of the dollar and tax free status of other countries it may sense to go for it.

You can easily get into a distance learning course, but be prepared, it’s tough. You will learn things 99% of American ATP’s are clueless about.

Also, look into Helicopter Adventures as they are running a JAA program, you might be able to do the Comm part on FL.

PS – learn to drink warm beer!!!
:cool:

ProfessorFate
15th Feb 2005, 18:43
I may be ahead of the game, then. I already drink warm beer. I'm also employed flying a make and model that is very popular in the UK.

Cheers.:ok:

nibog
15th Feb 2005, 21:06
In Ireland as far as i'm aware the PPL only is transferrable, provided that you have 100+hrs. Some Groundschool and then a Flight test to obtain an Irish PPL. Even though Ireland is a JAA state, it's not exactly a JAA Licence you'll recieve, and may not be accepted by other JAA states without further headache.

For the CPL + ATPL you must complete the full course of training in JAA schools. (correct me if i'm wrong)

Best bet - Stay there and do a JAA conversion in one of those CAA / JAA schools.:( :(

sycamore
16th Feb 2005, 10:00
First Question at Immigration--Do you have the right to live/work in the UK/EU ?

Pilotage
16th Feb 2005, 10:07
It's a lengthy (5 Mb pdf) download, but everything you ever wanted to know about UK (which usually means JAA) licences and how to gain them is in here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS2005.PDF)

G

TheFlyingSquirrel
16th Feb 2005, 10:22
well, well, worth buying a copy of LASORS 2005 !! Loooking at it online is a nightmare ! It's only about £12.

http://www.tso.co.uk/bookshop/bookstore.asp?FO=1159966&Action=Book&From=SearchResults&ProductID=1904862098

Heliport
16th Feb 2005, 10:43
In the meantime, it's here:
LASORS (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=156096)