PDA

View Full Version : Cyclic shapes...

TIMTS
15th Feb 2005, 13:12
I do not mean the Robbie version of the cyclic!!

But what is the reason for these massively bent looking cyclic sticks. I can understand them being a litte bent, maybe to get the grip back over the edge of the seat, but some of them out there just look rather stoopid.

So what am I missing??

zardoz
15th Feb 2005, 14:48
To clear the average Pinger's stomach..... :p :p :p

Gaseous
15th Feb 2005, 20:24
The big loop in the Enstrom cylic allows Mrs G to get her foot behind the stick when getting in and out rather than lifting her leg over it and flashing her drawers to all and sundry.:ooh:

Arm out the window
15th Feb 2005, 20:25
They start out straight and just end up that way after a few scares.

Ascend Charlie
15th Feb 2005, 21:00
Just have a closer look. Often the control emerges from under the seat (B206) or out of the floor.

From there it has to get to the pilot's hand in a comfy position on his leg. Then move the stick to full control deflection in all directions without hitting the seat cushion / console/ dashboard / beer esky.

Still gotta be able to grip the stick between the knees while map reading / writing / opening a beer. Sometimes tricky in the R22 if you are a short@rse and the thingy has to be pulled a long way over to reach your stubby knees while keeping your feet on the pedals.

Also the front seaters have to be able to get in and out or top up the esky without knocking the stick too badly.

Revolutionary
15th Feb 2005, 21:24
Hey TIMTS,

I PM'ed you Re: that St. Maarten police chopper of yours. For some reason my outbox isn't showing my message. Did you receive, over?

NickLappos
16th Feb 2005, 00:57
The bent cyclic is something we learned to do early on, here is an early R-6A from 1944 with a straight stick:

http://www.dustoff.org/photo/images/R-6A3.JPG

and a Bell 47 with a bent one:
http://www.whiteplanes.com/images/showcase/bell47g/bell47g1.jpg

Why the loopy cyclic? Ascend Charlie and Gaseous have it right, the stick has to bend around the seat and end up above the pilot's crotch, and a straight stick won't do that. Ideally, the stick should be over your crotch, so you can rest your wrist on your leg. Entry ease is also a nice feature, too.