PDA

View Full Version : JAA IR. All UK or 15hr UK Conversion

genius747
15th Feb 2005, 12:42
Hi, I am unsure whether to get an FAA IR in the USA (NAC or EFT), then come back to the UK and do the 15 hr min conversion course to get the JAA MEIR.

Or just do the whole JAA MEIR in the UK.

If someone could give me an idea of the pros and cons, It would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Down 'n' Hanging
15th Feb 2005, 16:03
Whilst the US option can be seen as a cheap option, sometimes it can work out to be the most expensive overall when everything is taken into account.

If it is your intention to make your future airline career in the UK, then why not train in the home environment, with the familiar UK procedures, ATC and good old UK weather conditions.

If you haven't already done so, work out a pros and cons list, tied in with associated costs. List things like accommodation expenses, travel costs, possible car rental or public transport etc etc etc. If you can undertake your training in the UK, at a school not too far from home then you may find yourself quids in at the end of the day. Just thoughts, but hopefully they maybe a start for you.

Whatever you decide at the end of the day, it's your money and you look after the interests of number 1. Good luck and I hope all goes well for you. :ok:

Cheers D 'n' H

IRISHPILOT
15th Feb 2005, 21:00
As you are based in Ireland, You will have to live away from home, if studying in the UK.

Have you thought of other places for a direct JAR ME IR, like Romania or the Czech Republic? Where else can you get a decent meal for just over a quid and a good beer for 40p?

Many flight schools to be found all over Europe by googling.

cheers, IP

infodeck
15th Feb 2005, 22:30
I have done alot of research into the important thing - how will your training and were you do it help to get a job in the airline industry. Most definatley the answer from the airlines is do all your Comerical training with one recongised FTO. As things stand at the moment a large number of airlines are now asking the two major FTO's - Cabair and Oxford for direct reommendations. They both quote large numbers of graduates have been placed since Christmas. Cabair seem to have the edge with their graduates being very well prepared for their first airline interview, and most being asked back from interview to a sim slot - get through that and you are in. Many of their graduates have gained their first position straight onto jets. Thats an opportunity I would like and I am sure many of you would feel the same. Spend the extra cash - the end result will certainly be worth it!;) ;)

EGAC_Ramper
15th Feb 2005, 22:40
Whole reason why I'm choosig to stay in the UK,albeit I'm going modular with all my flying with Bristol Flying Centre.

Regards:D

genius747
16th Feb 2005, 15:37
Thanks for the replies guy,

Just one other thing, I will be doing my ground ATPLs and my JAR CPL in the states.

Am I better off geting a ME class rating in the states (NAC etc...)
Then doing the whole MEIR in the UK

or

doing a combined ME class rating and IR all in the one go in the UK?

any thoughts would be much appreciated..
Thanks

G747

Penworth
16th Feb 2005, 15:46
I was going to follow your first option but have ended up doing the second option, ie. getting the ME and IR together in the UK, although afaik they can't be combined, you just have to do an extra 6 hours VFR flying alongside your IR training. The reason I didn't do my ME at NAC was due to a lack of an instructor, lack of an examiner, and the fact that the PA44 that they use was in far from ideal condition.

The advantage of the way I've ended up doing my training is that all my ME time is on the same aircraft following the same checklists and procedures. The obvious disadvantage is the huge cost saving which could be made by obtaining the MECR in the US.

PW