PDA

View Full Version : RN Aircrew Application...... Or Not???

vector801
14th Feb 2005, 20:36
Hi all,

This is my first post on PPRuNe so be gentle.

I have a problem. I have just recently re-applied for a Commission to join the RN as a Potential Pilot. This will now be my third application.

1st Application Failed the FATS

2nd Application Passed Pilot FATS with Very Good Score, Neglected to Put effort into Observer FATS as I was so obsessive about passing for Pilot, wouldn't have been an Observer if u'd paid me a £1,000,000. Then failed AIB on the grounds that I didn't read the right 'Newspapers' even though I passed all written tests very well as well as the group excercises.

Now at the age of 23 I realise that I will need to have started training by my 24th birthday in July. I have also been told by my Liaison Officer that I need to now Pass Observer FATS. Having sat them twice already I shouldn't be allowed another go.

Am I biting at the bit, do I leave the Application??

After all, I have just passed to become a Trainee Air Traffic Controller with NATS which I start in Sept.
On the other hand, in 2001 I went to South Africa and got my ICAO PPL in 18 days, was awarded a RN Gliding Scholarship in 2000 and flew with Ex-First Sea Lord. Admiral Sir Julian Oswold.

The Royal Navy have shown great interest in me over the course of the last 6 years. I really don't want to waste any more of their time or resources (or mine) on a lost course.

If there is anyone out there who can possibly point me in the right direction I would be extremely grateful.
A Flying Career in the RN has been my life long ambition, especially reading about all the exploits of Cmdr 'Sharkey' Ward and the Men of 801, Lt Nick Richardson and his adventures in Bosnia, as well as many other untold stories of RN Aircrew.

Like I said, am I still holding on to a Ship That Has Most Probably Sailed???

Regards, John

hyd3failure
14th Feb 2005, 20:51
Hey fella, welcome to the thread.

I have to say that the one comment from you that (as a recruiter) put me off was the wouldn't have been an Observer if u'd paid me a £1,000,000

What do you want?

Do you want to be a Naval Officer?
Do you want to be aircrew?
Do you want to be a pilot?
Do you want to be an Observer?

I'm afraid that comments like "wouldn't have been an Observer if u'd paid me a £1,000,000" will not get you in.

If you really want to be a member of the senior service. If you really want to be a part of the greatest fighting force of this country. If you really want to join the Navy then you have to be committed. It seems to me that you are not sure of your commitment. In the Royal Navy you are a Warfare Officer first and an Aviator second.

Your allegiance should be to the warfare of the ship, the combat of the vessel…and not to being a pilot.

Finally, when I attended the AIB I told them that I read “The Sun” as do half the population, and I got in. So reading the wrong paper is not the reason you failed the AIB.

My advice. Go back and tell them that you want to be a Naval Officer. Tell the truth. You never know what will happen. Stranger things have happened - they let me in for a starter

STANDTO
14th Feb 2005, 20:53
IF they have put up with you for six years, then there must be something in you they see. If you have been invited back again, there has to be hope. I think they would have told you to **** off by now.

Get the papers out, your ar$e in gear and GET ON WITH IT. you are nearly there. If you don't do it, you will, like me, regret it EVERY SINGLE DAY OF YOUR LIFE.

On the back of those inspirational words, if you make it, make sure STANDTO gets a jolly.

:ok:

vector801
14th Feb 2005, 21:08
Thanks For The Reply,

Not wanting to be an Observer was what I thought when I took the FATS for the 2nd time. I have to admit that having failed the FATS first time I was adamant that I was going to pass them the Second time round. I was 19 at the time and very imature. I had this very nieve attitude that I new best.

I think I could pass the Observer FATS test if I were to take them again. After all, the NATS tests that I took were very similar to the Obserevr FATS and I passed those.

I have to say that I've grown up a lot over the past 3 years. I want more than anything to be a Naval Pilot, but in being that I will be also something else, A Naval Officer. In being this I no that I will be responsible for the many lives that an Officer holds sway as well as all his/her responsiblities.

Thanks Again, John

P.S. I have applied for the Commission again, usual Application Forms as well as a very detailed letter including all my past Naval Experiences and achievements as well as all those in civilain life. This has all been arranged in Chronological Order.

We'll have to wait and see what the Admiralty have to see eh.

J

hyd3failure
14th Feb 2005, 21:18
well it seems to me as though you have the correct attitude. If it was upto me you'd be in...... sadly though Im not on this years board and so you may need to impress some other people.

But, the best of luck to you ....Don't give in.... determination is a valuable attribute.

vector801
14th Feb 2005, 21:23
Hey,

Thanks again for your quick reply and encouraging message.

I have to admit that I seem to have left this 'growing up lark' a little late, but we all have a degree in in hindesight eh.
I'll give it my best shot if The Admiralty see fit for me to apply again.

I would like to thank you again and wish you all the very best.

Regards, John

P.S. Bloody Good Forum they got goin here

Pielander
14th Feb 2005, 21:46
My strategy was that I desparately wanted to be a pilot, but failing that, I'd settle for engineer just to get me in. That covered the 'officer first, pilot second' angle whilst enabling me to show no interest whatsoever in being an observer.

Like yourself, I've done a fair bit of flying already, so if I'd been given a hard time about not wanting to be an observer, then I could have spouted off about my love of hands-on flying ad-nauseum. However; in spite of the fact that I had equal P and O scores and the fact that I had on observer on my board, the question never came up. Needless to say, I never ticked the observer box on the application.

After AIB, they give you a form on which you can say which branches you would or would not accept. From then on, you can afford to be a bit more blunt. I also called the selection officer when I got my confirmation letter. He suggested that I might be offered observer because of my age (25) and my ropey AIB score. Again, I just said I'd hold out for pilot. One week later, that's what I was offered.

vector801
14th Feb 2005, 21:54
Congrats,

Thats what determination gets you eh!

I certainly have the determination to go all the way, as well as the desire to succed.

Fact of the matter though is that I may have all these attributes, yet they are useless to me if the Admiralty deems me unworthy to take the FATS again. If i'm granted this, I have to pass all 3 batteries of FATS again. How many people do you no that have been allowed to sit the FATS 3 times.

I don't even think they let you do that. But if you don't ask or try, you'll never no.

J

Pielander
14th Feb 2005, 23:41
"If you don't ask, you'll never know"

Precisely. You've nothing to lose. Plus I'm sure it could be argued that your mental arithmetic scores (which I believe count for both) could have legitimately improved since the last time if you had practised a lot.

Pester 'em until they tell you to leave, then pester 'em a bit more! They're desparate for pilots anyway.

Best of luck:ok:

airborne_artist
15th Feb 2005, 06:40
RN aircrew age on entry is still 26, not 24?

vector801
15th Feb 2005, 14:33
Hey all,

From what my Liaison Officer told me on Mon 24/01/05 Top Brass are reducing age limitaion to 24 sometime this year, probably around Summer time.

Guess it's the right thing for them to do. If it takes around 6 years to fully train a guy/gal to fly a fast jet, they'd better start recruiting. With the introduction of 150 RN F35's in 2012 there gonna need to fill them places fast............. Hopefully saving one for ME:ok:

amb_211085
15th Feb 2005, 16:45
With regards to Aircrew, I was diagnosed in 1999 as having exercise induced asthma, only ever had the symtoms then and never again. Later the doctor decided it was most probably acute bronchitis inducd wheezing, most definately not asthma. Is this likely to pose a problem?

If so, my second choice if pilot is a medical no no is to try for mine clearance diving officer, does anybody know of the medical restrictions on this as I can't seem to find any details?

Ta

Pielander
15th Feb 2005, 16:50
Steady on, vector. I don't think they're giving us all 150! (We'll have to share them with the Crabs).:}

vector801
15th Feb 2005, 17:17
Wouldn't it be a nice thought though eh?

Here's a question, do the RN still allow some Rotary Wing Pilots to cross over to Fast Jet if they have the right aptitude (if that is even the reason they allow them to cross)??

If they still do, what are the numbers if anyone knows???

J

P.S. With regards to the question about the Breathing Problem, I couldn't tell you the answer to that. I had my aircrew medical at RAF Cranwell in 1999 and they got very nervous when you mentioned any sort of breathing disorder eg. Hayfever and Asthma. Whether it was a limited medical because it was for a RN Gliding Scholarship I don't no. If you could get in touch with the Central Air Medical Centre at HMS Sultan they might be able to give you some information. As far as I know, once you pass AIB (literally minutes after) you are sent there to have your Aircrew Medical. Am probably wrong about that now because of the time difference since I was last at HMS Sultan.

Regards, John

bad livin'
16th Feb 2005, 00:05
OK, Vector801...

First and foremost, and I tell you this from personal experience - if you care more about being a pilot than an officer, and I don't say this to discredit the RAF (I was in it and chopped as a pilot) then join them. This is NOT what the AIB want. They want you to be keen to be, and able to be, a good Royal Naval Officer first and foremost. The pilot part is a long way off. Divisional work, and a hundred other things which are vital to life at sea come first.

If I were you, and I hope you are successful, I'd make this very clear. There's an awful lot of time at sea when you're not flying on an FF/DD tour, as I'm sure many far older and bolder than me will attest. You really need to want to be in the mob beyond just flying. Also, being an Observer is an outrageously challenging role. So much so in fact that of the 11 or 12 on my entry at Dartmouth who got as far as the BOC, only 2 made it to OFT and I believe one has been recoursed. There's a reason for that - it's damn difficult. Don't discount it out of hand.

Best of luck to you - hope to see you around the Andrew some time.

BL

hyd3failure
16th Feb 2005, 12:48
Well said Bad Livin....

do the RN still allow some Rotary Wing Pilots to cross over to Fast Jet if they have the right aptitude God yeah...big time...and not just Pilots..Observers as well. In particular the RN is looking to start training JSF pilots and are recriuting heavily for that aircraft.

With regards to the breathing problem...I think you'll find that the medical criteria for MCD are way way more stringent than for aircrew. If they won't allow you to be aircrew due to a wheeze, then there is no way they will allow you to be an MCD Officer.

Jucky
16th Feb 2005, 20:59
Vector801,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I would suggest it is very unlikely that you will be given the opportunity to have a third go at FAT's. It is unusual to be given a second chance. When I was an ACLO, I enquired about getting some of my candidates at the time a second chance a FAT's, CDR AIR at AIB said no and suggested that they go for Warfare. The problem with FAT's is that once you have done them once or even twice you know what they are all about and are therefore they are not achieving their aim. People are also very unlikley to improve on their scores if they go again. You either have it or you don't. You also need to have a time period of 12 months between doing both FAT's and AIB again(6 months in exceptional circumstances in the case of AIB). If you have failed AIB you only have one more shot at it. If you pass and don't get in for the entry you want, the pass lasts 12 months and you are automatically put on the list for all the subsequent entries during that period.

In terms of crossing over from rotary wing to fixed wing in the RN, it is called the AIR 309 Course. You need to be pretty good at flying helicopters and have passed your Certificate of Competence (CofC), had a good trap ride and be recommended by your squadron. They also look back at your EFT reports and you need to have averaged 3.8 or more to be in with a chance, less than 3.5 and you can forget it. They look at this because they reckon these scores have a good correlation with the numbers that get through Valley and onto Harrier OCU.

However don't let any of what I have said put you off. If you are really serious about being Aircrew in the RN, I would stick another application in and keep at it. Times change and policies change. The above was the policy when I was an ACLO which is a while ago now. The RN is going on a major recruitment drive for aircrew at the moment and they will pretty much take anybody who passes all three FATs and AIB, which was not the case 12 months ago. However this has a few ramifications later in the training pipeline and I would not be surprised if the chop rate increases again, as standards in flying training have not dropped. It requires a lot of determination and hard work to become a Naval Aviator, but if you are serious about a career in the RN get your head down, grit your teeth and crack on, it will be well worth it in the end.

I wouldn't do anything else!

:ok:FLY NAVY! :ok:

Jucky

vector801
16th Feb 2005, 21:25
Hey Jucky,

Thanks for the reply.

Like I said, if I don't try I'll never know. All is not lost though as I have a Brilliant Job lined up in Sept as a Trainee Air Traffic Controller with Nats.

If I had a choice though, I would definitely go with my childhood ambition of being a Royal Navy Fighter Pilot.
I have the Shar Pilot and his wonderful display to thank for that at RNAS Culdrose's Airshow on my 3rd birthday.

My early years are a little hazy but I'll never forget that.

Thank You all for your advice and positive support. I should hear back from the Admiralty on their decision sometime this week so I’ll post the outcome.

Regards, John

Raffles01
17th Feb 2005, 08:47
Hi guys, some great info on here and on the forum in general. Much appreciated.

Anyway, I have a question about applying for the FAA that I've not been able to find through a search on Pprune and was wondering if anyone could help. (Sorry for hijacking your thread Vector!)

I am in the early stages of applying to hopefully 'Fly Navy', basically waiting to have the interview to see if they're willing to send me down to AIB. I'm also applying for the RAF at the same time as to be officer aircrew in the Forces is something I really want to do after having left University.

I'm applying for both pilot and observer but my problem is that I have had absolutely zero contact with the Navy apart from an interview with an SCLO when I was in school! At that time I was going for AAC flying, which I have passed the tests for, but after thinking hard about it I realise the Army is not the best service for persuing a flying career as an officer.

Therefore my problem is that, although I am now totally committed to a possible career in the Senior Service, how the hell do I convince them of this after no previous contact?! I realise that a Station visit will go down well (quite a trek from NW England to deepest Cornwall but I'm prepeared to do it!) and I know a fair amount about the history of the FAA etc, but is it literally just a case of saying 'It's something I never thought of until now but....'

Sorry to prattle on about such a small point, and I realise other areas are far more important such as aptitude and leadership, but I think the whole motivation thing would be an important aspect of joining, and when I get to such a stage as FATS and AIB 'Every Little Helps', to coin a phrase!

Any help would be greatly appreciated chaps! Thanks for your time. :ok:

bad livin'
17th Feb 2005, 14:48
Well mate you've started well - now READ, READ, READ!!!! Go to the AFCO and beg to be sent on every acquaint course going, and not just the air ones - you'll learn an awful lot more about the RN. Many aircrew I know found a visit to Faslane and the SSN/SSBN community very interesting, along with MCD and lots of other branches. Keep asking questions and be seen to be keen as mustard and the AFCO will do their best for you - mine were terrific and I met some good people.

Best of luck, go for it - I saw about 20 countries in my first 8 months after Dartmouth!!

Lee Jung
17th Feb 2005, 15:07
Raffles,

I can only echo BL's post, do your homework, you have the benefit of the RN's website with a wealth of information and more importantly really current news of what we are doing.

Make sure you read around - not just aviation but also what the navy does, how the different helicopters/jets are employed as weapons systems etc - this will impress the board.

I also recommend subscribing to a publication such as 'The Week' which gives you an intelligent round up of current affairs. Jane's Defence Weekly would also be worth looking at.

I was in the same 'boat' as you having been RAF-centric until university and found that a few days on a frigate opened my eyes to what the RN was about, and more importantly what the ethos of the team you will be working with is like.

Finally, if you do go RN you must be prepared to be a chopper pilot (I wanted to). It's worth thinking about whether you would be happy with that. Although, providing you have the capability, I would think that with JSF coming on line I would think a rotary to fast jet crossover would be pretty likely.

The rumour are that shortly all 'Flight' (Pilot, Observer, ATC) joining Dartmouth will do so having been judges capable of flying JSF. Those who don't make the grade through the process will become Rotary Pilots, Observers ATC etc).

There is no doubt that the future is bright for the FAA and that with the current tempo of operations you will be quickly doing it for real somewhere.

Bismark
17th Feb 2005, 19:56
Where's Si Clik when we need him!

Collating info posted by the above on various threads I think the following is fairly accurate:

Age limit aligning with RAF ie 23.11

Candidates will need to pass for both P and O.

Both P and O will be graded for pilot aptitude at BRNC (ie treated as potential fast jet pilots)

Os that grade well will join the P EFT pipeline until the point they demonstrate they do not have FJ aptitude whence they will return to the O stream.

Application details on the Royal Navy website.

Team spirit in the RN is v high, in the Fleet Air Arm it is even higher. Best flying club in the world bar none and you still get to see the world on the right side of a pink gin!

Pielander
17th Feb 2005, 22:56
Sorry to also hijack the thread, but...

Does anybody know if there are any particular age limits set in stone for starting the FJ courses at Linton/Valley? I know that being old is generally frowned upon, but is it a hard and fast rule that if someone (like me, for example) joins at the tender age of 25.5, then they definitely can't go fast jet no matter how good they are or how many places there are available?

Not that it's going to bother me. I'm the clumsiest oaf that I know, and there's no way I'd be streamed FJ. I am curious though.

Bismark
18th Feb 2005, 07:01
Pielander,

See my post above. According to Si Clik shortly you will not be able to join at 25.5 so your question may be irrelevant.

FLY NAVY- young - join the most flexible and, size for size, effective maritime air force in the world. The only UK air force to record FW air-air combat kills since WW2.

Raffles01
18th Feb 2005, 08:31
Thanks for the above info guys, its very much appreciated! I'll ring the AFCO and arrange a visit, also maybe see if they can speed the whole process up a tad as I'm 22 now and don't fancy potentially starting Dartmouth after my 23rd birthday (September)- theres no harm in asking, eh?!

Due to having OASC soon I'm squared away on the old current affairs and everything.

Both P and O go for B EFT? Seems like a very good prospect as I'm applying for both!

LJ- I would indeed be happy flying choppers if they were offered to me! I can't believe people with the 'Fast Jet or Nothing' approach who would rather not fly if it doesn't have jet engines and one seat! Of course FJ would be my ultimate goal but if its something I physically can't do such as aptitude/ medical......so be it.

Well, fingers crossed for AIB, FATS and all that! Cheers again guys.

:ok:

joe2812
18th Feb 2005, 12:22
Another hi-jack coming up!

Heavily interested in the RAF as a pilot (what a surprise...), however you lot seem to have swung me into the idea that the Navy is the best option for potential aircrew/pilots after cutbacks etc.

All I know is the RAF, I couldnt name a boat/ship/bathtub if i tried however my RAF knowledge is quite good (he says...). Is it possible while at/just after Uni to apply to both, at the same time, and know enough for each service to get through OASC and the RN equiv? (dont know what it's called!)

Pielander
18th Feb 2005, 15:56
Thanks. I'll be joining on Tuesday, so my question remains relevent to anyone in the know.

Bismark
18th Feb 2005, 18:36
The RN version is the Admiralty Interview Board based at HMS Sultan in Gosport. Go to the Royal Navy website

www.royal-navy.mod.uk

for info on ships etc. Also have a look at the Navy News website:

www.navynews.co.uk

Arkroyal
19th Feb 2005, 08:51
Pielander,

I joined at 25.11.5, and was told by my Bulldog QFI that he thought I had FJ skill, but that my age would mean no chance.

Maybe he was just being nice to me, but whichever way, I am just so glad that things panned out as they did, and I spent my time as a jungly.

Finest flying known to man, and the best bunch of blokes to work with.

airborne_artist
19th Feb 2005, 08:57
my Bulldog QFI that he thought I had FJ skill, but that my age would mean no chance.

Who was yr QFI?

Arkroyal
19th Feb 2005, 12:32
Sqn Ldr Groucho Marx:p

Or have I taken that too personally?:D

Flare_Level_Cushion
21st Feb 2005, 15:33
" they are desperate for pilots"

eh?

Are you wanting to be fast jet or rotary? I know of a bunch of zoomies that have been chopped at Linton because they have too many in the pipeline. With Navy cuts etc they are all being thanked kindly and shown the door. Some of those guys are then given the chance to go rotary (awesome!!) so there is not so much desperation for pilots as you may have been led to believe.

The pipeline is very long for the Navy chaps though so it may change.

Best of luck. Some of my best mates are WAFUs and I'd love to do an exchange.

Jucky
21st Feb 2005, 19:17
Get your facts straight fella!

Its the crabs that are getting chopped at Linton from the FW pipeline becuase there are too many. The RN pilots are getting chopped because they are judged not to be good enough to suceed at single seat, therefore they get restreamed.
The Navy are pretty desparate for aircrew this year!

:ok: FLY NAVY:ok:

Jucky

bad livin'
22nd Feb 2005, 10:52
Ahhh yes. Pielander will today, along with 90 or so other new lofties, be marched up the hill dragging their hand luggage by some wildly sadistic and amused seniors as said other seniors observe from the SGR window. Ahhhhhhhhhhh MEMMMOORRIEESSSSSS

Good on you mate. Get right into it. You'll be on ACE at the best possible time too.

BL

Bigtop
22nd Feb 2005, 21:37
Bismarck your facts are quite correct and unfortunately are guru Si Clik is currently on leave - or so says his ansafone!!

There have been a few changes in the RN recently wrt recruiting aircrew.
The age is being reduced in line with the RAF for a number of reasons.
For the first time we are not getting the nos through the doors of the recruiting offices so stand by for a few PR drives/initiatives.
It is anticipated that we will grade all aircrew at Dartmouth for pilot potential, with a view to sending them to Barkston for EFT and subsequently FJ. There are some caveats - ie it must be a good pass and the first few have just been put through their paces so watch this space. Failure to make it for FJ at BKH or later will result in reversion to initial stream ie Obs/Rotary etc. Obviously this means FATS are required across the board.
Remember though its not just FAT scores that count so you will need to do well and give of your best at AIB as final selection will be an accumulative score. As noted have a good awareness of what the RN is all about not just the Fleet Air Arm and don't forget JHC and JFH!!
Do not take the stats to heart "when I was on BOC only 2 out of 12 passed to OFT". What about the course of 24 in front of me that only lost 2!! - but that was some time ago!!! It is hard, but dedication and perserverance will pay dividends in the long term.

And whilst yes you are first and foremost an officer and a warfare officer at that, for the vast majority of aircrew there are many years of fun to be had before it starts to get serious in the career stakes.

bad livin'
22nd Feb 2005, 23:23
Bigtop - just to be clear, that was my comment you misquoted. I was not on BOC, it was the group of O(UT)s from my entry I referred to. I quoted those figures only to highlight the difficulty, challenges and worthiness of becoming an O.

Rgds
BL

vector801
17th Mar 2005, 15:37
Hey all,

Sorry it's a bit late, but I have just received word from the Admiralty that they are going to exceptionally allow me to re-sit all of the FATS on April 18th.

Would just like to thank all those that replied to my post with Positive Feedback and the very best of look to all those with similar aspirations to I.

Regards, John

Bloody Spell Checker.........

I mean the Very Best of \'Luck\' to all in the same boat...

John

vector801
21st Apr 2005, 19:58
Hey All,

Just another quick up-date in case any are interested.

Attended my 3rd sitting of FATS and apparently got a Superb Pilot Score. I however missed Observer by 2 marks, which I was told being a massive improvement on my previous attempt.

I was also told by my Debriefing Officer that although I did fail O, My pilot score was so good that I do have a 'Competitive FATS Score'. Think this means that Commander Air will have a look, and depending on his decision will either send me to AIB or offer me something else.

Regards, John

nazmasterx
22nd Apr 2005, 17:01
Good luck mate!!

Hope it works for you,

WW:ok:

Piezo
25th Apr 2005, 11:47
Gald to hear it v801,

Sorry didn't stay and chat afterwards but had to shoot off,
Have you had anything back since, AIB etc??

onthebumline
25th Apr 2005, 12:38

Well done for all that shippers........first hurdle nailed only another unpteen to go.

One small nugget of advice I would be tempted to give is.........wait for it........just ease off a little on the whole Royal Navy Fast Jet Pilot and think a little more about the whole Royal Navy Pilot thing.........i.e. there is a better than even chance of ending up going rotary.

I only say this because of the guy at Dartmouth who told everyone he met about how he was going to be a fast jet boy and got a really bad reputation throughout for being arrogant................then looked like a total p***s when he got chopped at grading for going wibble in a spin.

I have maximum respect for all those who do make it FJ, but they are generally pretty cool charachters who only tell those who really matter (such as flight commanders.....instructors etc) and not tell every Tom and dick they are going to "have thier names on the wall".

Good luck anyway with AIB, Dartmouth, Cranwell, Linton, Valley, Wittering etc etc

OTBL

joe2812
25th Apr 2005, 13:22
Good on ya mate, well done! :ok:

vector801
25th Apr 2005, 17:04
Hey All,

Thanks for all the kind support and invaluable advice many have given to me over the last few weeks via this thread.

OTBL - To you Sir, after now visiting RAF Cranwell, and re-sitting FATS, I want nothing more than to be a Royal Navy Officer. It wouldn't really matter to me if I was Officer Aircrew, Engineer, Supply, Warfare.......... Just have that desire to Lead and Be Led, to work alongside some of the most talented individuals that this country has to offer in some of the most Trying Environments known to man....... All whilst keeping a Smile!!

If Commander Air gives me the opportunity to go to AIB, and I pass, I don't mind what I fly. Whether it be a Lynx, Merlin, Possible FJ, even the Bright Orange K15 Glider with Portsmouth Naval Gliding Club. Just want to be in the RN.

Piezo - No Problems Sir, Congrats on passing FATS to. I wish you all the very best with your application, and who knows. Could be seeing you soon. All The Very Best.

Regards, John

Tourist
25th Apr 2005, 17:16
Glad to see you missed out junglie vector, after all, its ok to take what you are given, but one must have some standards!:ok:

amb_211085
26th Apr 2005, 20:40
To the potential two of you who are off to AIB, I ook forward to possibly seeing you there, just back from Cranwell having passed my FATS. I'm exctatic, one rung further up the ladder!

vector801
2nd May 2005, 19:54
Hey All,

Well, AIB have been in touch and Cmdr Air has made his decision.

He is not going to let me take my RN Aircrew Application any further. AIB have offered me the chance for ATC/Fighter Controller which is good.

I feel a little dismayed at the fact that I was told I had a competitive score but have still missed out. Also feel a little misled by the RN again (I'm not being bitter if it seems that way). After failing FATS first time to be told by De-breifing Officer that I'll get another go only to be overruled by the AIB, seems to have happened again to some extent.

Think what I’m getting at is that I was given a 3rd chance at sitting FATS having already had a great score for P & failing O miserably. If they know that a re-sit will improve your score by only a small amount, then why on earth did they even offer me a 3rd attempt knowing I had to attain a miraculous score for O!!! Having said that I gather I did, only missing out by 2 Marks!!!!

Really thinking about writing a Letter to Cmdr Air, to see if he will let me take AIB for Aircrew. I know there has to be a line to which the RN must draw their standards to, but I am so Passionate and Determined that if there is a slight chance that I can take it any further, I will use it to the full.

Any advice or professional criticism is again welcomed by all, especially those in the know!!

Regards, V801

UberPilot
2nd May 2005, 20:42
Unlucky chap. At least you know you've tried as best you can and unfortunately some things are just not to be.

......If only I could play football well I'd be on £ 100 000 a week - but I can't.

Seriously, I don't know how true what you've posted is but write to Cmdr Air - he can only not reply. To be honest though, and I'm sure you'll realise this aswell, if you've had three cracks at the Aptitude tests they'd be after a decent score, above what would normally constitute a pass simply by virtue of having done them 3 times.

You could always change your name by deed poll and go back .......

Oggin Aviator
2nd May 2005, 21:52
V801 you said:
I want nothing more than to be a Royal Navy Officer. It wouldn't really matter to me if I was Officer Aircrew, Engineer, Supply, Warfare.......... Just have that desire to Lead and Be Led, to work alongside some of the most talented individuals that this country has to offer in some of the most Trying Environments known to man....... All whilst keeping a Smile!!

Everything you said about being a Royal Naval Officer is true.

So ... maybe accept a post as a Warfare Officer with a view to going FC. Do well at Dartmouth / Fleet time, get some decent reports under your belt then if age is not an issue try again? The FATS requirements may have changed by then and you could become what used to be a GL aviator maybe. And by then you would have a clearer idea about the Service and its lifestyle, have some fun, do a bit of travelling, decide what you really want out of life. If you are career minded, Warfare is the only way to go, aviators sometimes do well in the long run but it is rare - its the ship drivers or aviators that have been ship drivers/PWOs that reach the top. Obviously us gash shags dont have the capacity to manage warfare at 12 knots (!!!!) or sit in London/Portsmouth deciding whats best for the future :confused:

Anyway, good luck in whatever you decide.

Oggin

Harveyhudson
29th Jun 2005, 11:25
Dear All,

I am aware that these questions get asked time and again, and i have done a search on the website, but i was hoping that i could ask another question or from people like pielander who seems a good chap.

I have my first go at FATS coming up in a couple of months. I am aware of the s/d/t calculations, the remebering of long numbers etc tests that you are put through. However on a more general scale is there any books/cd roms/ anyhting that i can buy to better focus my revision for ALL of the tests. I have heard that you cant revise for some of the tests but surley this cant be true!!

I have the 2004 flight simulator game on my PC...is it worth getting good at this. I am very keen to be a warfare officer and to be pilot/observer/ anything to do with the RN, and i really dont want to mess up on the day.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance :ok:

AllTrimDoubt
29th Jun 2005, 20:18
"I am aware that these questions get asked time and again, "....

Indeed - and by yourself in multiple topics. Use the SEARCH function, as others have suggested, and you will find...