PDA

View Full Version : Should I bite the bullet???

rmcfarlane
14th Feb 2005, 17:56
All,

I have done the rounds of sponsorship applications (those that are left) and although I have had some positive feedback, I am yet to make it all the way through to a job at the end.

I decided to check out a flying school that I know I like and would happily spend 14 months at. Whilst visiting, I took their aptitude tests and passed with very encouraging results. On the basis of my results, that I am fit and healthy and a bank want to fund me through it - they are keen on taking me on.

So here is the question, do I give up my currently well paid job (non aviation) and bite the bullet by forking out £70k? Or should I sit on it for a while, and try again with the sponsorship opportunities as they come up?

I am currently 22, have an Aero Eng degree and currently working for a car hire company as a telecom's manager so I am in the situation where I could sit on it for a few years. But now is the time to get my posterior on the flight deck judging by the upturn in the industry.

I leave it to wisdom of PPRuNer's......

-R

GoldenMonkey
14th Feb 2005, 18:11
I take it you are set on the Integrated Route then?

If you went for the Modular, you would be able to 'sit on' your current job for the majority of your training. It may take longer, but in the mean time you will have been earning money and have something to fall back on if it all goes tits up (e.g. loose medical or loose interest half way through).

Just a thought...

GM

CAT3C AUTOLAND
14th Feb 2005, 18:48
I guess it depends on how badly you want it mate, and whether you are happy with your current job and life.

I am sure alot of people will say, if you sit on it and wonder, will you ask yourself the question in 40 years time, what if?

I say go for it.

rmcfarlane
15th Feb 2005, 01:01
If I am going to fork out the cash I want to ensure that I am a marketable product at the end of it. Airlines tend to like, or I am being led to believe, that a Pilot who has come through an integrated course is better trained than one who went modular.

Indeed, I do not want to be back here in 40 years time telling some other kid that my biggest regret was not going for it either. Hmm... still a difficult question, but I guess I know the answer.

After getting to see my companys jet the other day I know I still got it bad (Falcon 900EX - N57EL).

jamestkirk
15th Feb 2005, 11:43
Hello

diffucult question and bear in mind that it IS a risk.

I was in your position two years ago, albeit a little older.

Getting off a BA flight from Dublin i just thought that i should be flying these and not sitting in the back drinking the septic fluid from the toilets they call 'coffee'.

I sold my house to pay for the course. I had about 400hrs tt so went down the modular route. I left my job thinking that by the time i finished, the industry would have picked up significantly(based on rumour).

Now that i have finished and been OUT OF WORK (WHAT A PI@SER ! ) for the past six months,have i regretted it?

NO:
I miss my company sports car and roman themed courtyard garden (forget the garden thing). But i do not regret making the decision. i know it will work out and life is short.

A couple of people have already said it on this thread, 'that you'll regret it if you don't have a go'. It's true.

You are young, with the right background. All you need is the money.

I am looking out the window on a classic CAVOK day by the sea. the only thing i would like to do now is take a C150 (a man's machine) and go flying. Or, sit in front of the TV with a DVD of Kiera Knightly in that King Arthur film where she wears that classic warrior fetish gear.....painfully dull actress though.

Good luck

JTK

wobblyprop
15th Feb 2005, 11:56
I started my ATPL theory 3 months before 9/11. This winter has only really just seen things pick up, on the employment front.

I completed my CPL/IR in June 2003. I worked throughout the whole of my training. I negotiated part-time working during the practical part and took holiday for exams.

This month I secured a job. I reckon I've worked my arse off, maintaining a job and completing the training. If I hadn't done it, I would have regretted not doing so.

At your age modular is an option. People I've spoken to, who are older than 30, are considering the Oxford APP to give them the best chance, when they graduate. As has been said many times you have to be in the right place at the right time and no school will guarantee you a job

18greens
16th Feb 2005, 08:30
Since you are only 22 why not apply for the queen to pay for your training. Unless you have tried it already the Navy, Airforce Army flying route could be good.

On the other side of the coin what are you going to do with your money, buy shoes and cars (which won't make you happy) or start modular training. You can do the modular course while you are working, harder on the brain but easier on the wallet.

Aviation kid
16th Feb 2005, 11:20
Looks like i'm in the same boat as RMCFARLANE. I'm 22 and Currently in a very well paid engineering job. Problem is, the jobs boring and i've always wanted to be an airline pilot! Decided to take a year off and go for the APP at Oxford. At least this way i'll have a job to come back to while looking for a job in aviation.

I know this might sound daft but, my only concern is that even at 23-24 (when qualified) i still might be too old?????

Anyone got any opions on that, as a bit of reassurance wouldn't go a miss!! ha.

ftd83
16th Feb 2005, 11:32
I will be the same age, if and when i ever gain my ATPL, and from what have I have deciphered from a significant amount of research is that is a pretty good age to qualify, not too old and not too young.

Shed Rule :ok:

jamestkirk
16th Feb 2005, 15:43
There were plenty of people at oxford about the 25 age mark. I would be bold enough to say it was about average.

I am a little older, 147 years old and hope to get a LHS in an airbus one day.

Worry more about the financial cost involved. Then worry about the financial cost involved after that to stay current.

REMEMBER to get your class 1 medical done before you do ANYTHING.

Aviation kid
17th Feb 2005, 08:09
Thanks for the info!

I've already got my Class 2, guess i should really go and get my class 1! What additional checks are made for the class 1 medical?

Oh, one other thing! how much on average does it cost to stay current?

Thanks, AK

Spongey Brakes
17th Feb 2005, 09:37
Eyes, ears, spirometry (blowing), ECG (heart monitor), EEG (brain monitor with flashing lights from close encounters of 3rd kind), blood test, urine sample, nose and throat, chest x-ray and general inspection.
I've probably forgetten something but that is most of it.

ftd83
17th Feb 2005, 10:06
Think they may have have dropped the EEG now from a Class 1.

I have been known to be wrong though.

Shed Rule :ok:

Aviation kid
17th Feb 2005, 11:32
Thanks for the info on the class 1.

What about the cost of staying current, anyone know?

fastjet2k
17th Feb 2005, 15:27
Staying current on a class one is around £110 at the moment. I'm not sure if you will be charged the normal initial rate if you are upgrading a class 2 to a class one, but the initial is somewhere in the £300 bracket (it dropped from £420 after the EEG was removed from it). However, it is a mandatory requirement for a commercial aviation course and is naturally something that you would want to have before putting any money down anyway.

As for whether to do it now or later - age wise, I don't think anybody will have any problems up to at least 30-35 years old and, to be honest, most if not all airlines that would take a low hour 22 year old will most likely consider you equally if you are considerably older. From what I gather, one of the important factors is what have you been doing in your life up to that point. At the age of 25, age should not even be a consideration. Age forgotten, if you have the chance to do it now and you want to, what will you be achieving by waiting? The industry is currently on the up, although we all know that it's volatile. It's not going to get much better than this and, let's be honest, it'll most likely be just under 18 months from now before you're in a position to offer yourself to an airline.

It's always going to be a slight risk, but I certainly would never want to compromise the rest of my life because I passed on a chance to do the course. As for modular or integrated, I'm not going to start ANOTHER thread on the benefits of one against the other, but I personally have always favoured integrated* because I felt it was LESS of a risk in terms of getting a half decent job although it is more of a FINANCIAL risk in that you're putting up more money. However, leave your current company on good terms and at least you have possible options when you return, should you not get a job immediately.

Best of luck to both of you, if you end up in Jerez give me a shout!

FJ2k

* edited to change word from modular to integrated, therefore substantially changing what I actually meant to write!

Aviation kid
20th Feb 2005, 20:04
FJ2K

Thanks alot for the sound advice!
Will definately act upon it!
Best of luck to you to!

P.s are you at Jerez now?

AK :ok:

fastjet2k
21st Feb 2005, 11:10
AK

Check your PM's!