PDA

View Full Version : Is Overland still flying?

Capt. Manuvar
14th Feb 2005, 16:08
Does anyone know what's up with Overland? I've not seen any of their 1900s flying recently. There's one parked near Capital's EMB120's, what about the other 3?

Dotun
14th Feb 2005, 18:05
Heard them on the radio on friday, they were trying to mess up our decend into abuja :O
Regards
D-Man

Rani
15th Feb 2005, 06:03
According to Aviation & Allied Business Journal (subsidiary of Landover Aviation Services which also owns Overland Airways), 5 ATR42s have been ordered by Overland and the first was said to have been already delivered to the airline (www.landover.aero).

Can anyone confirm this? Where will the ATR42s be used? existing routes?

Also, what happened to the 2 Boeing 767-200s painted in Bellview Airlines livery in Arizona???

Thanks

AlternativeProcedure
15th Feb 2005, 14:33
Capt,

I think that particular 1900 might have a problem with it, cos I remember seeing one of their a/c(just landed) in Abuja about 3 weeks ago when I jump-seated with capital on my little tour around naija. So I reckon they are still active, but one hardly see's them(strange I know). Oh yeah, and regarding the ATR's, when I see them on the ground here at DNMM, I'll believe. How far with studying now?

Rgrds AP

P.S Dotun how u dey?

Capt. Manuvar
15th Feb 2005, 14:52
Thanks for the info Dotun
Rani,
I'll keep my eyes for the ATR's. Haven't seen the 767's either. The only new entrant I know of is another 737 for chanchangi (feb 8)
Alternativeprocedure
I was able to read the AIP found some useful stuff but not enough. Now I have to find the ANR, whatever that is. Don't worry a couple more resits and i'll be fine:}

Rani
15th Feb 2005, 15:07
Perhaps Overland 1900s have a high a/c utilization rate so they rarely rest beside overnight stays at some of the following airport :

Akure
Ibadan
Ilorin
Bauchi

Just a possibility...

NDB17
15th Feb 2005, 16:12
Capt

I saw a picture of overland's ATR in paris. It's for real, they are getting the ATR.

Rani

Bellview has some crew in ATL at the moment on the B767 sim.

Dotun

Are you still with 'us' or on the 'blue' side. bcos i heard a "gist"

Rani
16th Feb 2005, 05:06
NDB17,

Does this mean Bellview is training its own flight crew in Atlanta to fly the 767-200? Smart move on the long run...

Dotun
16th Feb 2005, 09:01
NDB17
We would gist when you get ur ass back here in Naija.

AP
Man mi, I dey o.

Capital on the other hand has been grounded since last week wednesday, I was out all day with the crew, eating suya somewhere in the city of lagos.

Regards
D-Man

NDB17
16th Feb 2005, 17:33
Rani

Yes. I guess he might supplement with expats in the short run.

Dotun

Na wa o. What is the problem with Capital again? Is it a 'chick' problem? heard ak was given the boot. Anyway, will see you as soon as i finish my -200 course. regards to Don.

xapatan
16th Feb 2005, 19:30
Dotun,
Heard Overland going down in ABU many times they go down fast and very fast mate for a turboprop.....So can the Aviation Development Company(with their only B732 flyin) catch up....Or are they like Chachangi who think the airspace is theirs???Overland airplanes surely do not run on water...BE DECENT.....MIND YOUR DESCENT......NA WAO.....:rolleyes:

Happy Landings

:ok:

Rani
17th Feb 2005, 07:48
Xapatan,

Any reason for ADC's fleet limitations? I know they have/had 3 or 4 Boeing 737-200s, what has happened to the rest and are they not maintaining the full schedule?

xapatan
17th Feb 2005, 09:33
Capt.Manuvar

Heard that they are getting rid of their B732...poor load factors.Heard that Air Meridian the long awaited might be using their AOC to operate Saab2000 directly from Sweden...Also last week some ex-ADC crews got interviewed with Bellview for the B732 crews...Amongst also are some ex Nigerian Airways B732 Crews.
If not Slok was trying to get their B732 ferried yesterday to Gambia, god knows if they succeeded since they had to obtain clearance from FAAN which was delaying their departure.

Rani
17th Feb 2005, 11:41
Dotun,

Can you update us on the state of ADC Airlines? Were they really declared insolvent a few months ago? Are they really down to 1 737-200 with poor load factors? Is this the end?

Xapatan,

I heard about this Air Meridian with a press release two years ago stating they will introduce SAAB2000 aircraft on the Lagos-Abuja and Lagos-Port Harcourt. First, I wonder if they changed their business plan, as they cannot possibly compete effectively against Virgin Nigeria which will use modern jet aircraft. These smaller birds would be better utilized on thinner routes (to replace ADC perhaps on the Lagos-Calabar route, or Lagos-Enugu, Calabar-Lagos... or perhaps serve as Cross Rivers' state airline to capitalize on new tourisn and business initiatives there).

Speaking of Virgin Nigeria, I personally expect only the following carriers to survive following the launch of the new flag carrier:

1- Overland Airways (no routes duplicated with Virgin Nigeria)
2- Sosoliso Airlines (specializing point-to-point in the South East)
3- Bellview Airlines (this will be tough but they may take advantage of forex income from new long haul flights although none have been announced so far)

any more that pop into mind? I believe Aero will revert to oil-related business only.

Dotun
17th Feb 2005, 16:41
Rani,
Can’t comment on Air Meridian using ADC AOC, but will try and find out. As we speak, ADC has two aeroplanes flying (One in ABV is back in the air). They are expecting the third one from Check in about two weeks. I also believe arrangements are being made for the 733-4 to be used on the west coast.
With regards to Virgin Nigeria, I would believe it when I see them on ground. All other airlines will probably go low cost or something in other to survive.

xapatan
Please check your PM. Cheers.

Regards
D-Man

obiukwu
17th Feb 2005, 18:51
Guys, this thing about Overland descending too fast. I thought ABV had radar and descents and approaches would be conducted under radar control; or am I dreaming?

About Virgin Nigeria
I don't think you have much longer to wait. They'll be there.

xapatan
20th Feb 2005, 17:19
My friend,
Of course Abuja has radar, but sometimes they will descend two aircraft and clear both to 6500ft for example on two different ABC radials the first one who reaches 6500(High Rate of descent) and or the one which is closer to the Rwy in use usually gets the first choice.However it has also happened that the one further to the runway in use gets in first, they monitor the descent(Squawk Code) and then direct you.Some of them are absolutely fantastic controllers.....Would love to shout them a few beers....Hats Off to Messrs.Lawrence,Singabele etc...The cream of controllers in Nigeria if I may say so....

Safe Flying

Dotun
20th Feb 2005, 21:27
Capital Airlines are back flying. ;)
Regards
DMan

obiukwu
20th Feb 2005, 22:43
Xapatan
Thanks for the clarification :ok:

Rani
21st Feb 2005, 04:36
Any ideas on how Capital's route network is like? Do they only ply Lagos-Benin route?

The media seems to have went silent on Virgin Nigeria in the past 2 weeks. Have institutional investors been selected and how does the launch date look like? Doesnt seem before May or June.

AlternativeProcedure
7th Mar 2005, 10:03
The long awaited ATR in overland livery has finally arrived, for you guys at LOS, it is parked close to capitals one engined EMB-120 5N-CCE.

AP