View Full Version : Shrinking Airline

Snake Hips
8th Jul 2001, 13:25
Cathay Flights to Adelaide, Colombo, Cairns,
Dehi, Hanoi, Karachi, Manchester, New York, Penang and Perth are all 'temporarily suspended' with immediate effect and until further notice. Taipei to Osaka and Nagoya also suspended.
Best wishes to all airport and engineering staff at the effected ports.
SH

Kaptin M
8th Jul 2001, 14:05
Good move Cathay management - you are indeed fortunate to have an unlimited budget with which to fight the pilots.

The shareholders will REALLY love you for this clever move, when they see the bottom fall out of their investments tomorrow.

No point in negotiating with the pilots when you have millions to burn! All of it unaccountable, and none of it your's!

Snake Hips
8th Jul 2001, 15:17
Kaptin M

Do you truly believe the sort of action we are now seeing is without the full
consent, indeed support, of the (institutional) shareholders? If you do, then
you are not as bright as I think you are.
Cheers

Tom Tipper
9th Jul 2001, 04:32
Snake...think you may find Kaptins comments were made with a slight degree of sarcasm!

The question shareholders need to ask is are we prepared to let a management (seemingly hell-bent on making names for themselves for their future careers and not prepared to move substantially because of 'face') ruin or at best seriously devalue our investments.

How much damage needs to be done to the CX Brand before CX management GENUINELY rethink their stance on rostering etc? All this disruption and the CX guys are not even on strike - they are just doing what their contracts require of them.

Snake Hips
9th Jul 2001, 07:19
G'day TT

Interesting point re the vaule of shareholders investments. I guess I am saying the shareholders must be aware of the IMPLICATIONS of management actions otherwise they wouldn't have endorsed them?

As I have stated on another post I truly believe (for the majority of crew) this is really about rostering (and perhaps B scale P fund) and getting a life. However it has escalated into a whole raft of issues which
have sadly resulted in an impasse.

My concern is that the Nigel and John have
underestimated shareholder resolve this time round and it will end in tears. I sincerely hope not.

Kaptin M
9th Jul 2001, 09:15
Snake Hips, by "shareholder resolve", I assume you mean Messrs Turnbull, Tyler , Barley & associates' stubborn refusal to give the pilots anything - regardless of cost.
They had a name for that during WW11 - kamikaze.

Snake Hips
9th Jul 2001, 09:49
Actually no. I was thinking somewhat further North.