PDA

View Full Version : Gazelle and Squirrel needed for Air Cadet venture...

AerBabe
13th Feb 2005, 17:37
I'm organising an event for the Essex Wing Air Training Corps. Basically, a line-up of RAF primary trainers, in military colours where possible. I've got most of the fixed-wing aircraft organised, but am struggling with rotary. The Saro Skeeter is probably a bit ambitious, but a Gazelle and Squirrel should be possible. I may be able to get a Gazelle, but not in RAF colours. Can anyone help? The date is 8 May, the place North Weald, the time 11:00 am onwards... Please PM/email me if you can help!

Many, many thanks in advance.

Bravo73
13th Feb 2005, 20:23
re the Skeeter. Have you tried PMing/asking Skeeter Pilot? www.skeeterheritage.co.uk should provide you with further contact details if PMs don't work.

They always seem to be keen to 'spread the word' about their lovely and quirky little machine.

Regards,

B73

Tony Chambers
15th Feb 2005, 00:16
Do you want a Gazelle in RAF colours or the old grey/green. What do you want the heli to do? I may be able to help you there depending on your intentions.

lartsa
15th Feb 2005, 10:49
give me a pm if tony does not sort you out i have a raf gaz in flying cond

AerBabe
15th Feb 2005, 11:59
Thanks for all the help, guys. Just to avoid confusion, I don't mind if you post replies here; it might help other people too. But, if you have phone numbers or people's names, it would be more sensible to PM/email. :)

Bravo73 - I'm very surprised, but equally pleased, that there are people out there keeping the Skeeter alive.

Tony Chambers/lartsa - Very very kind of both of you. To be honest, I can't afford to be fussy about the colour scheme. Ideally, a legitimate RAF colour scheme - one relevant to the service flying the machine has done.

What do you want the heli to do? Basically arrive late morning and be around to mid-afternoon ish to talk to the cadets and answer questions. There is a public gliding event at North Weald on the same day, so any kind of display would have to be arranged with them, and necessary exemptions organised. My initial briefing document says this:

The event will comprise RAF primary training aircraft from 1939 onwards, in military colours where possible. [...] I would also like to obtain aircrew uniforms for the various periods when the aircraft were in service, for senior NCOs to wear.

The aircraft have been asked to arrive for 11:00 am, to give time for them to be parked before the cadets arrive at 11:30 am. The cadets will then have the opportunity to look at the aircraft and talk to the owners. The aircraft have been asked to be available until mid-afternoon. I hope that helps!