PDA

View Full Version : USAB Freighter Crews

Taxsman
14th Mar 2001, 19:57
Facts

1. ‘Negotiated’ 3% raise during year of record profits. (Cabin Staff 4%) SQ offering $13,500 for LA base. KAL about the same. USAB Freighter lowest paid 747-400 operator of a ’major’ airline.
2. Freighter operated on ULH with 3 crew instead of 4 and the third pilot is an S/O often times.
3. USAB F/O’s being bypassed for B scale will earn more than captains flying in the same airplane.
4. 6 weeks profit share during year of record profits, not to mention ASL’s better bonus.
5. Double taxation with U.S. withholding. Total lack of preparation from USAB manager with yet another amendment to the scheme causing thousands of $’s to be withheld unnecessarily.
6. BT segments over 10 hours in coach.
7. Scheduled duty days of 20 plus hours with 5 and 6 hour layovers in ANC with no hotels and no allowances.
8. Call outs on G days and no adherence to duty start times on reserve.
9. General lack of respect from management re the letter telling us nothing will change until more pilots quit. Give me a freaking break!

Actions

1. Contract compliance to the extreme. Become a contract expert. Know your COS and stick to your guns.
No discretion.
No sliding duty start times.
If your crew rest in interrupted, restart the clock.
If the hotel sucks and you can’t sleep, restart the clock.
IF the JFK-ORD-ANC trip can’t make it with 3, get 4 pilots or go to bed in Chicago.
No reserve or O day call-outs until pre-departure rest is taken.
2. Y-class BT
Over three hours and no First Class ticket, call in sick. Safety. (For the uneducated, there are very few flights with business in the US. First class fares are no higher than business if they were available.) When you call in sick, do it at the last moment. If you try to be a nice guy and call in sooner, you will just be docked sick days on your G- days.
3. No 3-man crews with S/O’s. Everyone else has the ‘right’ not to fly with Freighter Crews, so why not return the favor. Safety.

4. Captains, refuse to fly with higher paid bypassed, B-scale F/Os. Safety.

5. Refuse to do crew-ups in HK on EXB’s. Doesn’t the ‘B’ in EXB stand for break?

6. Sick Leave, if you’re not 100%, don’t go to work.

Finally, support the AOA. Obviously, we are not a priority, but don’t let that be your excuse to disregard the contract and cut a better deal for yourself by horse trading with crew control. Realize that with compliance, comes some amount of pain. You may not arrive home on schedule if you comply with the contract. Too bad, do it anyway! And you ASL guys . . . get some balls and stand up for the contract. We are in this together, whether you want to believe it or not. The AOA is not your enemy. Management is.

E-whale
15th Mar 2001, 03:34
Well, that just about says it all!
I don't think I've talked to a "happy" freighter pilot in quite a while. At least not since the 3% pay rise and the SIX weeks total bonus.

Didn't the Crews News have a calculation that if the company made 5 billion dollars that the bonus would be 3 months additional pay? Seems I remember they retracted it and later re-stated it would be just over 2 months pay as a bonus.
Gee, guess their math was off again.......how did it turn into only 6 weeks pay? Could that be some "fuzzy math"?

The general talk is that the freighter operation is about to experience some major disruptions!

Also it wouldn't suprise me if management got their wish and some of the freighter Captains quit. Contrary to what they have said the FOs are already quitting.

Contract Compliance! Support the AOA!

Iago
15th Mar 2001, 03:56
Taxsman,
The reason we are being screwed on freighters, is because there is no shortage of our members who will help the company to screw us. Try and get something out of the ordinary from the company, and you will be told it is not in your contract. They rigidly enforce contract compliance from their side, we should return the favour. Don't work G days, don't answer the phone on O days[your not required to], no discretion, don't sell your leave, EVER.
As for ASL we have always supported the AOA, just wish we could do so more directly.
Anyway, you now seem to have adopted the right frame of mind, try to make it contagious.

E-whale
15th Mar 2001, 04:14
One of the guys had a very good suggestion.

If you are not happy with the pay, there is one simple way to increase your "hourly rate".

Phone 1-800-I'M-SICK

Work less days for the same pay!

......and yes, someone will have to be called out to fly your trip. However it is all part of the sacrifice we all have to make.

Fatbastard
16th Mar 2001, 00:35
The irony of this thread absolutely slays me...You chaps are one of the reasons that we are in this situation. You came here and took our jobs for substandard pay and now you are complaining....what the h@ll did you expect?

Sorry, I had to say it, I know we are one big happy family now...

Taxsman
16th Mar 2001, 21:24
Fatbastard, I can't believe you're a CX employee and are still thinking this way. Have you not learned nothing about this situation. Divided and fighting, we (the collective we) lose. Management wins. Harping about something that happened six years ago won't change a thing. If put to a vote, I seriously doubt a majority of the membership would lay the blame on the pilots who took the ASL jobs. Management did this and the AOA let it happen. For the past year ALL of the new hires to CFX are totally Cathay. Should these guys work under a ****ty contract to make you feel better? Do you think a crappy freighter contract will make the B-scale better? I don't. Do you want the CXF, AOA-represented pilots to support whatever job actions happen in the future or not? Where are you coming from?

cpdude
16th Mar 2001, 22:28
Fatbastard, what planet are you from? With your logic and knowledge of the current hiring practices, I should be pi**ed off at you (or jealous as most B scalers are of A scalers) for you being hired directly into B scale passengers. But I’m not that shallow.

We at CXF are forced to work at below market premium for over 3 years before reaching what was GIVEN to you! Are you that naive to think that tens of thousands of pilots struggling in NA, Europe and Australia would not apply to Cathay for the chance to fly a B747-400 versus a crappy old DC-9 or 737-200 for the same pay just to help your bargaining position? Get real! At least we know that after 3 years we have the opportunity to make decent money as a B scaler, not great but decent! Yes Cathay has over 10,000 resumes and it will continue. The lure is not the money but the aircraft. So grow up!

If you were just fishing, you caught a live one.

Fatbastard
17th Mar 2001, 09:51
To Taxman: You are right. I need to get over it...I just haven't yet.

To CPDude: You are either young or ignorant or ego driven. It is not the size of the airplane that counts. All aircraft are the same size from your seat to the windscreen. It is the size of your pay packet and conditions that matters. And BTW, I was hired directly into A Scale passengers...I would not have come here for any less.

[This message has been edited by Fatbastard (edited 17 March 2001).]

fossil fuel
17th Mar 2001, 11:10
Oh really then Fatbastard, where would you have gone then? And what if they weren't hiring? I guess you probably wouldn't take a 20% pay cut either would you?

I can't believe we're still having these stupid sorts of arguments. There is only one enemy here, and it is not each other. Come on guys...

cpdude
17th Mar 2001, 19:44
Fatbastard, we are obviously not worthy of your superior standards in life.

Oh, my reference to aircraft had nothing to do with size and everything to do with avionics and maintenance. You do remember those funny round dials don't you?

Taxsman
22nd Mar 2001, 00:08
Okay, Fatbastard is getting over it, so let's accept his gracious acknowledgement and move on toward our commoon goal. Could someone enlighten me to this latest CXF screwing regarding an hourly rate for positioning that we won't be getting as we are so highly compensated?! Thanks.

cpdude
23rd Mar 2001, 03:01
The latest newsletter states that we should receive it Jan 01, 2001. They just want to remind us that we are not part of their team.

Fatbastard
24th Mar 2001, 09:04
Well spotted CP...