PDA

View Full Version : BA Launch SMS Text Service Trial - Useful for Meeters and Greeters

bealine
13th Feb 2005, 08:15
British Airways has launched a trial SMS Text Messaging service to alert people by text about the status of a flight. This is particularly useful for "Meeters and Greeters" who don't want to arrive at the airport a couple of hours too early and pay the excessive car park fees!

The costs are 25p per text message

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/smstrial/public/en_gb

Sorry, I forgot to mention for our overseas visitors, this service will only work for UK Registered mobile phones (but if they are set for roaming, they can use this service overseas).

sixmilehighclub
14th Feb 2005, 18:00
Also when booking online you can register your mobile number to be advised of major or significant changes to your flight.

(but pleeeaaassseee don't go switching your mobile on during taxy to check your next flight. It can be very dangerous)

davethelimey
16th Feb 2005, 11:09
Dangerous or just against the rules?

TightSlot
16th Feb 2005, 12:47
Certainly one, possibly both - let's not start this one again! Either way, being an intelligent and responsible person, you won't be doing so, will you?

;)

PAXboy
16th Feb 2005, 13:36
I hope that the BA service is of more use than the BAA one. For that, you just get standard information when it does arrive but not about delays. If they have changed that from when they introduced it, my apologies. But the data is just the same output that goes to the terminal VDUs and I found that they sent you the standard three messages and yet you had no real idea of where it was because, until it gets into the approach - there is no information. I find it simpler to check on-line with the carrier AND the airport before deciding to leave.

sixmilehighclub
16th Feb 2005, 22:29
Yes Davethelimey, it very dangerous: Switch on your mobile phone on Taxy and within seconds a crew member will whack you round the back of the head with a safety card. Can be lethal, papercuts.

Seriously though, I'm no avionics expert but rumour tells me it can effect fire extinguishers on engines, and instrument panels on the Airbus. If anyone would care to quote the actual facts here I would be very grateful.

:ok: