PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Gibraltar

stringbag813
12th Feb 2005, 20:41
First visit to Gib coming up March 10.
In 1944, I was with 813 NAS in Campania as an observer on Swordfish- we got to about 200 miles of Gib on a few occasions but never had a run ashore. So now I thought I'd take a short break and spend a few days there.
Just wondered if anyone could let me know of any service clubs open to ex-FAA vets?
Thanks in advance for any pointers.
By the way, I'm also doing the trip to Russia in May to mark the 60th anniversary of the end the war in Europe. Anyone else going?

WE Branch Fanatic
12th Feb 2005, 21:09
Sorry I can't answer any of your questions, but it is wonderful to hear from a WWII naval aviator.

airborne_artist
12th Feb 2005, 21:14
Is there anyone serving in/with influence on those in Gib who can ensure that this veteran recieves the significant reception, respect and attention that he deserves when he makes his visit there?

Navaleye
12th Feb 2005, 22:00
Good to have you on board stringbag813! I've spent far too much time in Gib than is good for me. If you are there on April 25, I'd be very happy to hoist a few with you.

foldingwings
13th Feb 2005, 08:13
There was a United Services Club in Gib when I used to visit in the 70s.

However, try writing to the CO of the RN Gibraltar Squadron.

CO RN Gib Sqn (http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/6300.html)

He might be able to help in more ways than just giving you the address of the USC

stringbag813
13th Feb 2005, 09:40
Thank you very much for your replies, gentlemen

To folding wings - I'll ask CO RH GIB SECTION.

To Navaleye -Sadly my visit is March 10 to 14 but thanks for invite.

To Airborne_Artist & WE Branch fanatic - very nice to find that these messages out of nowhere actually work.

Take care

IDH

antipodean alligator
13th Feb 2005, 10:21
Stringbag,

Hats off to you and your comrades....What a marvellous machine you used to fly.

I was in Gib a couple of years ago to do some Battle of Britain flypasts and ran into a very helpful bloke....unfortunately his name escapes me right now.

If you go down to the old barracks square there is a Pub called the Tunnel. You'll know it's the one because you'll see a bunch of squadron prints on the wall behind the bar. The fellow who owns the place is VERY pro-services and will help you out without a doubt

Good luck and enjoy the trip!!

chippy63
15th Feb 2005, 13:32
Stringbag,
Try here for some info on Gibralltar: http://www.world-newspapers.com/gibraltar.html[/URL]
All the best, tell us how the trip goes.:ok:

Calpe
18th Feb 2005, 14:35
Stringbag, Ex RN aviator living in Gibraltar, hope I can be of some help. No open club that I know of however;
There is a British Legion Branch but with no premises.
We are allowed use of the Royal Gibraltar Regiment Club which is daytime only and situated in town.
The bar of the Caleta Palace Hotel is normally full of one Ex RN type,(Me) at about the cocktail hour.
:}