PDA

View Full Version : Emerald ATP course offer

Mr Magoo
12th Feb 2005, 20:31
This isn't a thread designed to be hijacked as part of an argument about paying for training or slagging MOB off- I'm curious to know how many of us that went to the ATP recruitment day on 19th Jan have had the letter offering a place on one of the "next two ATP training courses" and if they've had anything further since sending in the photocopies requested.

If there is anyone currently working at Emerald with valid inputs on the potential risks of laying out £13 grand I'd be interested to hear as well.

As I said at the start I'm NOT interested in uninformed Emerald bashing but just want information so I can make an informed decision before risking a large amount of capital.

74Freight
13th Feb 2005, 08:14
Difficult to advise on what to do, did they offer you a definite job or just to go into a holding pool?
last week there were rumours that the banks had told us to get rid of the ATP fleet as it was draining so much money but following that letters were sent to some pilots offering them the opportunity to pay for a conversion?
Only those at the top seem to know for sure and keep it to themselves.
Good points are that it is a heavy, EFIS turboprop which would be looked on as good experience for moving on to a modern jet.
The downside is that if we get rid of them, you are left with a type rating which has cost almost as much as a 737 or ATR rating but with only two other operators in Europe is not likely to be much use.
Would an ATR rating be more use with Air Contractors, etc getting a load more?

inverted-flik
13th Feb 2005, 09:19
Hi

If your signing up for a bond with this company and NOT having to part with the cash yourself, this indicates amongst other things that the company have faith in the fact the ATP is going to be around for a usefull period of time and I would suggest go for it!. However, 74 is right, this rating is not only expensive, its not a common type in Europe and leaves you with very limited choice if Emerald dispose of the ATP.

Good companies like Air Contractors ATR, Flybe Dash 8 etc are a better and safer bet I would have thought ( and they don't ask for money up front!! ) than what you may have been offered...Look around!

Only my opinion and I do not or ever have done, worked for Emerald.

Best regards

IF:ok:

aces low
13th Feb 2005, 15:48
I too have had no contact with Emearld since the initial 'intention to offer' letter, and submitting my documents. I should have heard something this last week...but nothing!

A mate of mine has yet to do his 748 rating flying training as they are so short of pilots (of the training variety). Seems like this industry's failure to plan ahead is now coming back to haunt. Hopeful of some good news soon.

one dot right
13th Feb 2005, 16:56
Without wishing to let this thread degenerate to emerald bashing,I have heard much the same as 74freight.
Bear in mind the C.E.O has absolutely NO scruples at all and would happily take your money knowing that the ATP's were going.And then probably try to re-bond you to the 748 or shed!

Mr Magoo
13th Feb 2005, 19:08
Thanks to all who have posted so far, everything said seems to add up.

My understanding is that there is no firm job offer or start date at the point you sign over £6.5K for the groundschool part of the course, only after you're called forward for the sim/aircraft bit to finish the type rating is any kind of contract offered.

I must say that, as a business proposition, I'm not very comfortable with that scenario - as previously mentioned there are very few ATP's about, (I belive the couple that Citiexpress use are being phased out this year,) and, should Emerald pull the plug on the PAX operation, the exsisting crews would likely get to fly the freighters.

Keep all the info coming in though as I'm sure there are probably a dozen or so of us holding the "ATP course letter" and figuring if we should commit the £13K into a potential black hole

Magoo

inverted-flik
13th Feb 2005, 23:33
Hi again,

KEEP WELL AWAY...PM me and I'll explain.

Regards

IF

dada
15th Feb 2005, 03:37
i think he means they're a right shower.

Cathy Specific
15th Feb 2005, 06:58
Mr M

It would be worth asking JK/RM how many Emerald trained ATP pilots are still to be taken on, there could be a queue.

Just take care with this, I had my pants pulled down by them a couple of years ago with a bogus job offer on the shed which involved me giving up my job etc, doing the ground school with them and then nothing more.

They are a moral free zone.

Cat.

Bottom Feeder
15th Feb 2005, 09:42
Be very very careful, I would inquire what would happen to your money if the company was to fail for any reason.

Not that I'm suggesting Emerald might be slightly financially unstable or anything, but I would rather put my money on red at a roulette table. ;)

Mobster lover
15th Feb 2005, 09:57
Avoid like the plague. Hopefully they wouldn't have the apalling morals to lead you up the garden path, but with the rumours going around about the ATP's I wouldn't advise anybody to go near them.

If anyone wants details then PM me.

part69
16th Feb 2005, 08:45
Ive heard from a very good source that these rumours about ATP are bull ****!

Emerald are going to need to replace the 748s sometime? If they can't do it now when can they do it?

Mobster lover
16th Feb 2005, 09:19
So why is it that the 748 has manufacturer support until around 2020, but the ATP only has it until around 2010-15?

69, I don't know who your very good source is, but whilst I can't see them getting rid of the ATP's after having paid for so much for them, they are also bleeding us dry and we may be forced to give them up. It all depends if there are banks involved or not.

The ATP 'project' has been an unmitigated disaster. whilst no-one has proof of their imminent departure, it must surely be an option that's being considered.
Would you bet 13k on a chance?

pilotbear
19th Mar 2005, 07:55
Just got letter stating
'since your interview the company has undergone operational changes and we are no longer able to timetable training courses. Sorry for the disappointment etc.
Please let us know if you are no longer interested etc.
What operational changes? does anyone know?

nomercy
19th Mar 2005, 09:55
Paying for a rating is a big gamble - it is a massive gamble with EMERALD. The company have little interest in the people who work for them and as CAT said in his post plenty of people have been done by them.

I know lots of guys are desperate for a job - but do some very serious research before going forward with this.