PDA

View Full Version : Air Atlantique Sponsorship

jamie060
12th Feb 2005, 14:46
I heard from a Captain a few weeks ago that Air Atlantique will take on somebody with just a PPL and 100 hrs TT.

They then pay for your training and pay you whilst training.

Can anybody shed any light on this

Cheers

Crashlanding
12th Feb 2005, 18:10
What your describing is the fugley sponsership that they do.

You will while studying be doing every job they ask of you eg. Sitting at desk doing paper work, picking poeple up from airports etc.

Yes you get some pay (More like pocket money rather than a salary while your in the above position)

Once you have the hours and have passed the air exams you will then likely go onto either the metro, dacota, dc6, citation, electra. In the current market, this is a very good route for those who want to fly but cannot afford too.

Hope this helps.

rockeye
12th Feb 2005, 22:24
I was fortunate enough to be taken on and sponsored by Air Atlantique several years ago on the fugly scheme,i don`t know if the scheme has changed much since then,but i joined with a ppl,twin rating and 100hrs,it`s a great scheme that will give you the best grounding in aviation you could hope for,it`s hard work but worth all the effort,you get to fly a multitude of interesting aircraft in wide and challenging roles,i flew for the coastgaurd,marine pollution control unit in radar equipped sensing aircraft,magnetometer surveys,aerial spraying and pax work in DC3`s,and ultimately the DC6,the queen of the skies,a really challenging old girl i still miss her to this day,as i`ve posted on training forum,if your straight,hard working,honest,dont mind getting your hands dirty,and buy your share of beer you`ll fit in like a glove and i`m sure you`ll enjoy every minute of it as i did,i`d recommend anyone to the fugly scheme,i`m not in recruitment for atlantic just passing on my experience of a great company that gave me a fantastic start in aviation.

Good luck in getting an interview,and if you do tell em Grunter`s say`s hello.

Vee One...Rotate
12th Feb 2005, 22:36
I understand Air Atlantique tend to not over-publicise the fugly scheme. Any good links anyone knows of?

I saw a presentation by a current Air Atlantique FO at the Flyer Show down in Heathrow last year - definately a very different (and very intrigueing!) route into pro flying.

Definately something to be said for having the chance to fly those classic craft - read Fate Is The Hunter by Ernest K. Gann if you get a chance - bloody good aviation title about the golden age of airline travel.

Cheers,

V1R

P.S. What's this "fugly" label all about...!?

inverted-flik
13th Feb 2005, 09:36
How you keeping? :ok: Are you gonna explain the meaning of "Fugly" .......or shall I? :E

Vee One...Rotate
13th Feb 2005, 10:47
A very intrigued (as of now),

V1R :D

jamie060
13th Feb 2005, 11:59
Does anybody know anything about the selection for it????

And roughly what the pay is like, is it enough to basically live on and do you have to pay them back for the training???

Cheers for the replys

Oscar Juliet
13th Feb 2005, 13:02
jamie

check your pms

pheeel
13th Feb 2005, 14:28
I also saw about this at one of the Flyer Prof Flight Training shows at Heathrow...

Who exactly runs this scheme as recently Atlantic and Atlantique became separate entities didn't they?

It sounds like an amazing way to get into flying if you get the chance, and it's certainly kept very quiet...

Pheeel

o, I'd appreciate any insights from past "fuglies", esp selection and lifestyle....from what I've heard it sounds like one big gliding club! :D

rockeye
16th Feb 2005, 16:45
Hey inverted Flik,I`m keeping fine thanks,how about you,still missing the good old days at atlantic,these jets are a lil soul less ya know,still i`ve been lucky working for another good company and enjoying every minute of this too,hope your in the same boat and keeping well.
I`ll be brave and explain the meaning of `fugly`,i believe derek invented the term,never more fitting than for myself,stands for F`in Ugly,sums up atlantic,a down to earth fun company to work for,good luck all who apply to her,and best regards to all who recognise me.

hingey
17th Feb 2005, 21:33
Does anyone know the mimimum requirements for the Air Atlantique sponsorship scheme (age, hours etc) or are they fairly lenient?

mad_jock
17th Feb 2005, 21:52
Fugly I presume stands for ******* Ugly a well used scottish term (similar to deucking for chips aka face looks like they have been ducking for chips in a hot chip pan) which follows the the Bugly standard ( Bloody Ugly).

The best looking ones then get sent up to Highland :D

MJ

I think the entrance requirments are to be not very good looking but a fecking good pilot and turn your hand at anything

Conc
18th Feb 2005, 07:51
Latest Fugly course started in December don't know when the next one is planned. Requirements are still basically a PPL and 100 hours but nothing is set in stone, if your face fits then they'll give you a chance.

As an ex Fugly I can say it is hard work but with changes in JAR it is more structured than days of old. Lots of diving jobs, working shifts in OPS etc. The company provides accomodation and I believe the pay has now reaced the heady heights of about £300 a month! Probably 12-18 months to train before moving on to a flying job. Most guys either go on to flying light twins for survey work or into the right seat of the ATR or Metro these days. Selection involves initial interview and psychometric test, second round involves sim or flight check and a final board type interview.

Definitely a very different way to start an aviation career but one that I would thourghly recomend if the unusual appeals to you!

EIDW RJ85
20th Feb 2005, 09:45
Hi,

Was just wondering could someone please PM me with some details about this scheme. ie. contact nos/links etc??

Mush appreciated!!!:ok:

philltowns
23rd Feb 2005, 00:09
Try their website (http://www.airatlantique.co.uk)

CRX
25th Feb 2005, 09:51
CONC, I'm intrigued by your 'diving' jobs!
Never did any of those myself!

GRUNTERS,
Glad to see you are doing well, enjoyed my time on the six with you.
Still applying some of the techniques you showed me to my current ,not so mighty, steed!

CRX.

Conc
26th Feb 2005, 09:38
CRX

No diving jobs but not my only spelling mistake. How's life north of the border or are you still over on the rock?