Jinkster
11th Feb 2005, 23:42
My msn has just downloaded a virus.

Files such as

Kool.pif
Me & you pic!.pif
Sexy.pif
titanic2.jpg.pif

Also some others....anyone else had the same trouble and more to the point anyone know how to get shut of them.

1) I use Zone Alarm - didnt find it
2) I also use AVG free edition - which found it but still wouldnt let me delete, send to virus vault or heal the file.
3) Tried deleting them and nothing still

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

amanoffewwords
12th Feb 2005, 07:20
There's a previous thread regarding this:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=162596

mazzy1026
14th Feb 2005, 12:38
I also use AVG free edition - which found it but still wouldnt let me delete, send to virus vault or heal the file Is it me or does AVG appear to do nothing upon finding a virus? I have done several scans, where it will find say a .rar archive in one of my folders that has a virus - when the scan finishes, it is still there ! :bored:

error_401
14th Feb 2005, 13:41
zone alarm is a firewall and is only in charge of blocking access to or unwanted traffic from your computer but has no detection capability of unwanted programs.

many anti-virus packages wich come for free are not able to clean or delete the file as it is not meant to. they would like to sell you the full version to do that.

this may be useful to get rid of some actual threats.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/averttools.asp

E-Liam
14th Feb 2005, 18:30
Hi Jinkster,

Please download 'Hijack This!' from here (http://thespykiller.co.uk/hjttut.htm), unzip, and place it in it’s own folder, (not in the temp folder, or on the desktop) doubleclick HijackThis.exe, check for updates by clicking on Config | Misc. Tools | Check for Updates and follow the prompts. Once updated click on Scan. When the scan is finished, click "Save Log", and copy and paste it in a reply.

This will give us a rundown of what’s going on in your PC. One of us here will be glad to analyse it for you. Don’t fix anything yourself yet, as a lot of the stuff on that list will be harmless or required.

Hi Mazzy,

Can you tell me the filepath for that .rar file. It may be in a system restore point, and the only way to get rid of it is to delete them and set a new restore point. Let me know the path first though, as you don't get the restore points back, if that isn't the case.

Cheers

Liam

mazzy1026
15th Feb 2005, 08:01
Ah yes, that's something I never thought about! I cant remember the exact location but I am pretty sure it was in documents and settings, and seemed to be extremely deep i.e. you had to navigate through about 10 folders to see it - perhaps in some form of temporary folder. It aint there now but every now and then it creeps up - and when it does...........:ok:

Cheers

Jinkster
15th Feb 2005, 17:59
Thanks all for the information. Formatted the HDD - helped - cleaned the virus, was going to do it anyway.

Many thanks,
Jinkster

E-Liam
16th Feb 2005, 11:44
Glad you're sorted out Jinkster, :ok: :)

Cheers

Liam