PDA

View Full Version : FAA Renewal in Canada?

ashwinrao
11th Feb 2005, 21:42
My FAA Commercial, Single/Multi Instrument hasn't been kept up to date in the past 5 years or so, but I want to renew everything now but live in Toronto, so my question is, I still maintain my FAA & Canadian first class medicals, and fly regularly on my Canadian Private with Night Rating, what would I have to do to Renew my FAA licenses so I might be able to fly an N registered aircraft if it was a Twin, and also get my Instrument rating current again?

Everyone i've spoken to has a different answer, would it be possible to do the Test in the Toronto area? and are there FAA examiners in Toronto? if so does it HAVE to be done on an N registered aircraft? or would a Canadian Registered aircraft be good enough if I can find an FAA examiner?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance!

fougapilot
11th Feb 2005, 22:49
Ash,

To the best of my knowledge, you can do your BFR in Canada, in a Canadian airplane with an FAA examiner. When I was working for FlightSafety in YUL I use to be an FAA examiner on the Challenger and use to sign-off 61.58 (the BFR equivalent for Jets)every week. Dont get me wrong, things may have changed since (left in 2001). If you want the real answer, I suggest you contact either the EAA or AOPA. Both organization have a gouvernment affair department which read and interpret the regs. They are much better then the feds. They have helped my on a few occasions.

www.eaa.org
www.aopa.org

Hope this helps.

Dan

ashwinrao
12th Feb 2005, 04:27
Thanx for the response, but I guess it would have to be an examiner? not a flight instructor that can do the check ride?
hmm lets see if anyone else has any ideas, I'd check with AOPA & EAA but I'm not a member of either of them.

Panama Jack
13th Feb 2005, 01:36
Unlike in Canada, the FAA Instrument Rating stays on your certificate for life. If you haven't maintained the 6-6-3 proficiency over the period since your FAA Instrument check ride or your last FAA Instrument Competency Check, you will need to do an Instrument Competency Check with an FAA instructor and have an endorsement made in your logbook by him. Note that flying the 6-6-3 now (if your currency has lapsed) or doing an instrument rating renewal in Canada does not meet the FAA's legal requirements. You would do well to get a copy of the FAR/AIM and spend some bathroom reading time in FAR Part 61 (part 61 and 91 are favorite topics of CFI's during BFR's and ICC's anyhow).

As far as I know, no requirement whatsoever to have the BFR or ICC done in an N-numbered aircraft-- Professional IFR in Vancouver has done US ATP rides in C- registered airplanes for years. The only requirement is that the instructor conducting these checks must be an FAA Certificated Flight Instructor. Hope this helps.