PDA

View Full Version : Can UK citizen work as FO in USA ?

blueb0y79
11th Feb 2005, 18:40
Hi all

I was just wondering if a UK citizen could go over to the US and get a job as a pilot ? If so which visa is needed and what are the conditions ? Ive looked at the US Embassy site but have no idea what i need to do.

Could anybody shed some advice ?

Please note that the question is only about working and not training as ive read the post submitted about that and ive also done a search to no avail.

Many thanks

flite idol
11th Feb 2005, 19:28
No chance! Visas will never be issued for employment as a pilot in the USA. The student/J1 visa may still be available. You would need at least a green card anyway for consideration at an airline!

dorosenco
11th Feb 2005, 20:17
Sorry mate, there is no way to get a job with a US carrier if you don't have a green card. They are also doing a 10 years background check and 5 years emplyoment checks. FEDEX for example wants you to have lived and worked in the US for the last 5 years.

:\

737oli
11th Feb 2005, 21:45
Blueboy you can try the lottery to receive the "golden"green card. Each year a certain number of persons win it.
But please if you're not sure to live and work there, don't do it.

flite idol
12th Feb 2005, 01:23
The green card lottery is not open to Brits!!!!Not quite sure why. I`ve met several scandanavian types that got lottery green cards, Its not like they are third world but they qualify.

Atlanta-Driver
13th Feb 2005, 05:04
Greencard lottery participation is given to those countries that have very small numbers of immigrants per year to US of A.

Even having a greencard today does not guarantee a job. Security requirements and checks for a non-citizen are extensive and time consuming. Airlines are turned away from greencard holders. Obtaining a citizenship is the best way.

AD

Re-Heat
14th Feb 2005, 13:41
Yes, if an employer sponsors a working visa - that simply is not going to happen as you do not have a skill that is required that the US does not already have in surplus. You do not need a green card to be employed in the US. You could for example work for an employer in the US on secondment from the UK to their office based in the US.

You are not eligible for Green Card Lottery as a UK citizen, whatever your racial background - it is a programme to increase ethnic diversity and targets primarily as mentioned above countries with low immigration to the US.

Background checks do not generally require living and working in the US however - I assume however that some like Fedex may require it as other juristictions do not have to hand over such records, as the disclosure checking here in the UK has proven hence allowing foreign criminals to potentially go undetected.

In reality you would only work there in this economic climate on secondment from a UK airline or on temporary wet lease.

KwikFly
14th Feb 2005, 19:23
why don't you try to become a military pilot in the US? Not easy , but I was told not impossible to get in.