PDA

View Full Version : HK living conditions

916DESMO
13th Mar 2001, 09:20
Looking for info on living in HK With my wife and child.

Cost to rent 2bdrm apt.
Transportation to airport.

Any other misc. costs

Yes, I am looking at an S/O position with CX.

How long to base in North America.
What kind of sched I can expect.

Cheers

Magenta Line
13th Mar 2001, 15:29
1) Depends on where in HK. You get 19000 HKD per month. In Central you can get 2bdrms or 750 sq.ft. for that but in Discovery Bay or South Lantau you can get over 1000 sq.ft.

2) Train from Central is 36 HKD for you and 90 HKD for your family. From Lantau to the airport there are busses at less than that.

3) Depends on what you do in your spare time. I would expect some expenses for your kid's kindergarden/school.

4) No base while you're an S/O (2-3 years). After that you'll go on the B777 or A330 for a couple of years. Expect 5 years total before you get on a fleet (as F/O) which allows you to be based, i.e. A340 or 400. At that stage N.A. may not have open slots. A couple of years from now, a lot of freighter guys based there will have moved over to the pax fleet.

5) OK schedule to start with as a Second Officer (3 long trips per month and 15-18 days off). Once you go on the short haul fleets, expect your life to be MISERABLE. 8 days off per month, you never fly your roster, flights get changed at very short notice. No matter what your position is, scheduling will do their best to make sure that a week's leave is a week's leave, i.e. no days off attached.

[This message has been edited by Magenta Line (edited 13 March 2001).]

Jet Man
15th Mar 2001, 15:42
If you are long haul out of Honk Kong would it be possible to live in New Zealand or Australia and fly to Hong Kong to pick up your duty??