PDA

View Full Version : Are you studying for an ATPL? - advice needed

jam123
10th Feb 2005, 11:28
I am planning to do a full time integrated course at the end of this year at either oxford or jerez.

Having read these forums for some time now, i have come to the conclusion that it's not the content of the ATPL that is difficult but the sheer volume of what you have to learn and commit to memory.

My question is, should i purchase the manuals now and start reading them so that when i start my training, i will be very familiar with topics that will be covered in the classroom?

One side of me is saying that it is a wise idea, but the other side is saying that given the profession i am about to enter, i should be able to cope with the content of the course in the time allocated - ie 18 months or so - and will give an indication of my ability for future courses, ie type ratings.

I would be grateful for any advise/feedback anyone may have.

Jam123

Penguina
10th Feb 2005, 11:52
Make it as easy as you can for yourself, what's the point of doing it any other way? You don't become a better pilot by choosing to throw obstacles in your way. Plus, surely by the time you've spent the money you're committed to making a shot of the career anyway, so it would not be the right time to start judging your own aptitude!

Mosspigs
10th Feb 2005, 12:40
Jam,

I am being a thick and therefore a little confused about the theme of the reply above, so I will chuck in my comments for what little they are worth.

It sounds like you are fairly switched on and if you have come to the conclusion that it's not hard, just voluminous, then sit back until the course starts.

Trust the school's to know the speed at which they can teach. Even if you do stumble somewhere along the line, you won’t have been the first and they will quickly get you back on track.

Maybe if you have time to spare =, you may wish to use it to gather the small fortune together that it costs to become a pilot.

Good luck.

jam123
10th Feb 2005, 13:42
Thank you guys for the replies.

Mosspigs: I think what Penguina means is that there's no harm in starting to read up the theory beforehand, and that you should have cofidence in your ability BEFORE you start the course.

Keep the advice coming guys, much appreciated!:ok:

G-SP0T
10th Feb 2005, 15:10
I have just enroled with a school to do the ATPL's. they surgested not touching anything as they would only need to unteach it me, and teach it the right way!!!

I have however been touching up the maths and physics from the BBC bitesize, and reading through the PPL stuff to get a solid learning foundation.

jam123
10th Feb 2005, 16:03
I can understand them trying to "unteach" you on the flying side, but not so sure about the ground school ! I have heard that the schools don't want you to do anything before you start apart from brushing up on the maths and physics, but some integrated guys who were told the same found the workload a shock to the system and wished they had started reading up on topics before they started as they are struggling to keep their heads above the water!!!!