PDA

View Full Version : SQ - Travel Junket for MP's

Sunfish
9th Feb 2005, 23:07
From the ABC Website.

Singapore Airlines offered MPs travel junket: ALP

The Federal Opposition has accused Singapore Airlines of trying to influence members of the Federal Transport Committee by offering an all expenses paid trip to Singapore for its 10 members.

Singapore Airlines has rejected the accusation and says it wants to inform and educate MPs about the airline's operations and other Singaporean transport issues.

Labor's Martin Ferguson says the move comes as Singapore Airlines is seeking greater access to Australia's aviation market, particularly the lucrative United States route.

Mr Ferguson says the airline's offer is "wrong".

"I'm astounded in the year in which Singapore Airlines is lobbying the Australian Government hard to open up the trans-Pacific route to their advantage, that they are trying to in essence unduly influence politicians," he said.

"It's the type of thing if I was a politician in New South Wales I would refer (this) to ICAC, the Independent Commission Against Corruption."

This is the best bit : - "It's the type of thing if I was a politician in New South Wales I would refer (this) to ICAC, the Independent Commission Against Corruption." Ho Ho Ha Ha Ha! ROFL!

Jeez Martin, thats a whopper! How many MP's get QF freebees????

Icarus2001
10th Feb 2005, 00:24
What we should be outraged about is the fact that SIA will be flying them back to Australia.

It should be a one way trip!:ok:

B A Lert
10th Feb 2005, 01:27
Perhaos we should modiyfy the old expression to 'be ware of Singaporeans bearing gifts'.

Singapore Airlines through its ownership can be traced to the political party that has governed Singapore since its independence - the Peoples Action Party. It's head honco, one LKY, still exercises mush influence over the affirs of Singapore Airlines. Those of us who spend a lot of time in Singapore know that Singapore loves acronyms. They are a staple of life which is made more difficult to survive without a knowledge of them. PAP to the afficineados means 'pay and pay'. Australian politicians should be warned.

Casper
10th Feb 2005, 04:07
PAP = People Always Pay
PNP = People Never Pay
NPP = No person Pays

When PM Goh was in power, the heirarchy was known as:
"The father, the son and the holy Goh."

Father = "Harry" SM LKY
Son = BG Lee (Dep PM and Harry's son)
Goh = PM Goh

bulolobob
10th Feb 2005, 07:14
Yeah - Singapore's fine - They Fine you for this, they fine you for that:D

Skinny Dog
10th Feb 2005, 08:03
An absolute disgrace, MP's willing to sell out Oz to the devil itself, albeit "Disneyland with the death penalty" The next thing will be an offer to spare the unfortunate albeit naieve, Oz soul on death row in Singapore in return for access to the Australia - US route.
:mad:

QFinsider
10th Feb 2005, 09:19
Ah the good old level playing field Singapore stlye, with 45 degree slope.

To offer all those politicans free flights they must have re-configured an aircraft with special dog leg beds...you know the kind silk sheets and with a dog leg coz the bastards can't lie straight in bed:E

Omark44
10th Feb 2005, 11:02
And just think, SIA are the first ones ever to have tried this!!!:D (If they did), and QANTAS have never yet delved into anything that could be described as soliciting influence!!! Yeah, Right!!!

Eastwest Loco
10th Feb 2005, 11:25
Bloody wonderful isn't it!!

Sold $260,000 of SQ last financial year, much of it full published too and wasn't even allowed to BUY AD75 J class for Mrs Loco and myself to SIN and DPS.

I now know where they consider my place is in the scheme of things.

regards

EWL

The Enema Bandit
11th Feb 2005, 22:37
Well I guess you'll just have to stop selling their tickets then.

Eastwest Loco
12th Feb 2005, 05:21
Well EB - as they have crawled down to 7% on published International fares, I have had a little review in that area particularly with EK non-stop ops to DXB, but in some ways they are useful for the surfing market into MLE and PDG with Silkair, although MI is suspending ops into Padang for several months, possibly because of the massive damage experienced through the Mentawi Islands and on the mainland of North Sumatera.

I would have though they would do what the bulk of other carriers are doing and stayed at 9%, but the Lion is an unpredictable beast.

Best regards

EWL

Casper
13th Feb 2005, 20:03
EWL

Not even MI staff are permitted to purchase a staff ticket J class with SQ. Y class is the only option. SQ would rather see you left behind than allow you to PAY for a seat that is already empty. One MI staff member commented that he found going through a divorce less stressful that dealing with SQ Staff Travel!

Eastwest Loco
14th Feb 2005, 06:58
Noticed the attitude Casper.

The Sales crew were quite embarrased at the company policy. When a quarter of a mil is not enough, you have to worry.

They are a great bunch in Melbourne and do what they can within rules and regs which appear to be draconian.

With EK it was a quick check of our figures, which were healhy and then no problems.

It goes to show just how screwed over out industryhas become.

All mind over matter - management don't mind - we don't matter.

Best all

EWL