PDA

View Full Version : Is Windows Update down at the moment?

Globaliser
9th Feb 2005, 22:09
I got a notification of updates through the Automatic Updates on my work machine this morning, so I picked the ones I wanted. Nothing happened, no download icon in the tray or anything - but I then got distracted by work (terrible, that) and thought no more about it.

After getting home and logging on here, I got an identical notification. Same absence of download - so I tried the Windows Update link from the Start button. That won't load anything from the Microsoft site.

Is anyone else having these problems? Has Windows Update been overwhelmed by the demand for these updates? Very curious - I've never seen this happen before.

BlueEagle
9th Feb 2005, 23:01
Just been to the MS Update site and downloaded/installed ten updates rated as critical. Auto update, (for me), obviously not working but otherwise the site was OK.
Not sure if all OS use the same MS server, I'm using XP Pro.

Globaliser
10th Feb 2005, 13:20
I think I may have found the problem - the work computer was still being dodgy first thing this morning, so I ran AdAware which picked up a couple of bits of real spyware (browser popup generators) amongst the usual cookies. After I cleared them I was able to get on to the Windows Update site with no problems - so that seems to finger the likely culprit.

Thanks for the advice!