PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with 0870 numbers?

cirrus01
9th Feb 2005, 13:55
Have just used this brilliant site http://www.saynoto0870.com

Not sure it works with every company thats trying to thieve your hard earned, but give it a try if you're fed up being charged just to be put on hold.......

I've no affiliation with these people , just a happy user !

BOAC
9th Feb 2005, 14:36
Also here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=153424&highlight=0870). I use it whenever I can. Even BT have 0870 numbers!!!:eek:

None of the above
9th Feb 2005, 18:08
Unfortunately many of these companies are becoming wise to this counter measure.
Another board, to which I subscribe, has been running a topic on the subject. Many posters report being referred to an 0870 number when their call is answered, usually by reception or main switchboard.
I've just done a quick search to see if I could find the topic but without success. I'll have another go and, if successful, will edit this post.

One point that may be of interest, is that the company you are attempting to contact
doesn't actually receive your call until you have been through the "dial one for.........
dial two for........." process. The calls are sorted at the exchange and routed to the correct recipient if and when he/she is available.

BOAC
9th Feb 2005, 18:32
NOTA - if you have the patience, select NOTHING and they will think you are so out-of-date you do not even have a tone dial phone:eek: and you will speak to a human being earlier!

Llademos
9th Feb 2005, 19:33
When I went to the 'saynoto0870.com' site there was an ad at the top ... for 0870 numbers! What's all that about, then?

roundwego
9th Feb 2005, 22:06
Someone told me that these 0870 numbers don't work from outside the UK.

What one should do is say to the company concerned that you will be out of the UK for a while but will need to contact them. Could you have a "normal" number to phone them on.

Then use this number from the UK.

Is there any truth in this?

BOAC
9th Feb 2005, 22:12
roundwego - correct. It is also true that a large number of 0870 numbers are the same as 'normal' numbers eg 0870123456 will often work 'normally' if you dial the relevant area code +123456.

Worth a try, anyway!

Tartan Giant
9th Feb 2005, 23:14
I see that the BA Retired Staff Travel Number is even an 0870 money-grabber. Bugga!

TG

Loose rivets
10th Feb 2005, 06:37
Bloody nuisance!! But I guess that it's an attempt to offset the losses caused by the cheap call companies, the profit from the 0870 No.s divvied up between customer and BT.

I talk for hours to the UK more cheaply than a local call at home, so now I uses a card while I'm there as well. It must have hit BT hard. I know the loss of the second line customer due to mobiles is considerable.

I have railed against these numbers for years. Sometimes it causes a lot of problems when calling home from here, esp. Norwich union and the like--where I have to keep car insured while away etc. Telling them I can't make 0870 calls does not get much sympathy.

Often, with some companies I can build up a rapport with one dept that will then put me through to another...this is not working as well as it used to.

I shall be keen to try these links -- thanks

None of the above
10th Feb 2005, 17:28
A number of Doctors' practises have 0870 numbers and now there are rumblings in high places about the acceptability of this system in the NHS.

Full story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4225777.stm

As scams go, 0845 numbers are not quite as bad as 0870 but the local police now have a call centre on an 0845 number. Even less reason to call them now.